PDA

View Full Version : Need a couple parts for some maintenance?

Hochspannung
01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm planning to do a little bit of maintenance this month. I was wondering where you guys recommend I purchase some items.

First, I need a new battery. Start up is weak, I was told when I had a PPI done that I should get a new battery soon. So. What and where do you guys suggest I look. I can only assume shipping on a battery will be expensive due to weight. Do I just buy OEM at the dealer or..?

Second. I need a new fuel filter. Also recommended from the PPI I had done. What is my best option on a replacement?

Third. Brake fluid and Engine Oil. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

kayger12
01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Battery: Duralast 49-DL

Fuel Filter-- Kayser or Mann-- Make sure it has the black sleeve on it.

Brake Fluid-- ATE 200 or Super Blue

Engine Oil-- BMW 5w-30 or other LL01 approved oil.

aurelius
01-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Battery: decent cheap option is Wal Mart. You need size 94R. I go that route or pony up for Interstate. OE is expensive. Apparently the BMW logo gives it extra cold cranking power.

I sourced a filter/pressure regulator earlier this year at Pelican Parts. About $65. That and a pair of oil filters should put you over their $75 free shipping threshold.

Motor oil: Mobil 1 0W-40 is $6.50 per qt at Wal Mart. It is one of a handful specifically recommended by BMW.

Alternatively, I'm now using LubroMoly from Germany. Same viscosity as above. I've seen it at Napa but it's cheaper from Bavauto. Their min free shpg order is $150 and oil qualifies. Get a 5L bottle and 2 or 3 singles. It ends up about $8 more per oil change vs Mobil 1 from Wal Mart.

Brake fluid: Motul synthetic. Buy thru this site's amazon store. You'll get any of the usual amazon benefits you may have coming your way.

Edit: LubroMoly is changing its name to Liqui Moly. You may have to search for it that way. PM me if you want the Bavauto part numbers. Their site can be a PITA with items like that.

Hochspannung
01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
thanks guys, I think the shop I had my PPI done at uses the liqui Moly oil. I may just see if they will sell me some at a good price.

danewilson77
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
thanks guys, I think the shop I had my PPI done at uses the liqui Moly oil. I may just see if they will sell me some at a good price.

I do not think liquimoly meets LL-01 spec.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hochspannung
01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Hmm maybe it was something different.. I think something like Fuchs rings a bell. Anyway the guy said that the castrol oil meets the minimum specs for LL01 and the Fuchs oil is straight from
Germany and is better apparently.

kayger12
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I do not think liquimoly meets LL-01 spec.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

It doesn't, iirc, but a lot of the users claim it is better than LL-01.

danewilson77
01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I was using Liqui-Moly, and drained after about 3k miles. Terra said something that made me change my mind.

kayger12
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I was using Liqui-Moly, and drained after about 3k miles. Terra said something that made me change my mind.

Didn't Terra scare you off of the RP as well?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
No....it was just the LM. I actually liked the RP just swell.

I know what he said. He said that the LM is LL-04 spec'd which means it is not LL-01 spec'd. Does not meet the spec, and is not "better".

kayger12
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
No....it was just the LM. I actually liked the RP just swell.

I know what he said. He said that the LM is LL-04 spec'd which means it is not LL-01 spec'd. Does not meet the spec, and is not "better".

Makes sense.

GT172I
01-04-2012, 08:03 AM
FWIW dealer oil is only $6.25/qt - CCA discount