PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes bad things happen like a slow train wreck

redwagon
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
When I purchased my ZHP, it had a few stickers on it from the PO who liked to show up to CCA events etc. There was one sticker on the hood that was just not removable......totally baked on by the sun and faded. I tried a number of times to remove it using standard methods (ie heat gun, chipping, light chemicals to soften) and always got nowhere as I didnt want to damage the paint.

So yesterday I was off work a little early and decided to stop by the body shop down the street from where I live...havent had a good chat there in quite a while. Good guys and have had them do a lot of work for me over the years, even if just shooting something I had prepped. They immediately have 4 guys working on removing the sticker, and saying they do it all the time.....no problem.....have techniques.....etc. I'm sitting there saying that I was just looking for some advice and they say just trust us. Out come some power tools, lots of unmentionable solvents, etc. I couldnt even look any more as I started fearing damage was coming so started talking with the shop manager.

After aboutv 15 minutes I hear 'F*CK!' from one of the guys. Then a bunch of scrambling and 'oh crap' a bunch of times...........and bottom line they not only damaged the clear coat but went down to the primer.

They immediately said they'd repaint the hood for me no charge, and I'm standing there really trying not to go nuclear on them..........

So this morning I brought it in and they have the car now. On the bright side the hood will be pristine, including a new badge, but the aftermarket paint is never exactly the same nor as hard & tough as what it left the factory with. They are sanding it completely down and reshooting mystic blue and new clear coat.

I just had to vent..........I think of all the time polishing, glazing, waxing, sealing for such a beautiful finish and being so careful..........

lessons:

1. Dont ever use permanent stickers on paint.....ever. Heck not even ones that are temporary. And dont let friends either...... :-)
2. If you have a little voice in your head saying this can be a slow motion train wreck, stop things immediately....
3. Regardless of who it is or how well you know them, it pays to be a bit paranoid especially on things that are irreversable.

ugh. sigh.

Tim

Hornung418
01-04-2012, 10:54 AM
OMG.

I would be livid! Make them use factory paint! You didn't ask for any of that!

jayjay_dee
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
yikes... i feel your pain...

BustedBoat
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I second Hornung, they should bring it back to what it was originally. Not only did they do something without you asking but they ruined the hood. Once something is ruined it's never quite the same.

zhp43867
01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. They did not ruin the hood. Body shops do not often bring things back to factory specifications but they can, and this shop seems like they screwed up and were over eager in trying to do you a favor, and now they are trying to make it right. How big and/or visible was the sticker? There is definitely a positive of sorts coming out of this situation, the sticker will be gone and free of charge. It sounds like if you ever wanted to have the sticker removed you probably would have had to have the hood repainted regardless.

danewilson77
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Ugh. Devils advocate.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zhp43867
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm not saying it's a good thing that it happened! But with my experience last year with a decent body shop- my car is actually better than it was before. I had the same fuming attitude, until I realized I was only infuriating myself...

M0nk3y
01-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Yea...stuff like this sucks.

My personal experience happened when my Z4 was delivered with a dent the size of a baseball in my roof. There were pictures of it loaded leaving and it wasn't there...magically it appeared in transit.

Of course...they denied fault, they never did a single thing...sigh

Sent using satellite technology

nike001
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Yea...stuff like this sucks.

My personal experience happened when my Z4 was delivered with a dent the size of a baseball in my roof. There were pictures of it loaded leaving and it wasn't there...magically it appeared in transit.

Of course...they denied fault, they never did a single thing...sigh

When you discover the dent, you're supposed to not accept the car. Pretty sure you accepting the car means that you're accepting the dent.

M0nk3y
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
When you discover the dent, you're supposed to not accept the car. Pretty sure you accepting the car means that you're accepting the dent.

We refused to sign the papers saying the car came in condition stated. Got all of it paid for close to $2k worth of repairs after said and done

redwagon
01-07-2012, 07:47 PM
So just a note on how this ended up...........the shop made good on repainting the hood. And frankly they did a very nice job and right now it looks better than it did before....which was excellent with a deep shine, but some small scratches and chips etc.
Of course, time will tell if it holds up OK or if any issues.
And BTW they put on a new badge and didnt charge me......nice.
I slept a lot better after picking it up and getting it back home in the garage.
Tim

kayger12
01-08-2012, 06:25 AM
So just a note on how this ended up...........the shop made good on repainting the hood. And frankly they did a very nice job and right now it looks better than it did before....which was excellent with a deep shine, but some small scratches and chips etc.
Of course, time will tell if it holds up OK or if any issues.
And BTW they put on a new badge and didnt charge me......nice.
I slept a lot better after picking it up and getting it back home in the garage.
Tim

Good deal. They made it right.

Win.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.