PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Woes

nike001
01-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Well today I was driving a female friend (friendzone ftl) a few towns up where she miraculously managed to lose her keys and one the way up on the highway I looked down at my gauges and mileage (foot was on the gas at cruising speeds) and noticed that the temp + mileage led panel thing was very dim. I though that it could have been the the little wheel thing by my lights was set to a dim setting. I tried that and it was all the way up. I looked then at my radio and that was also dim. So I thought hmmm, what could be going on? Then I let my foot off the gas and bam, all my brightness came back. It didn't do it at all after that. I also think I recall this happening once before.

So, could this be my alternator? Could this also be contributing to my rpm dip that my car suffers from when the car is cold? It mainly seems to happen when it's warm(er) outside. Never when it's below freezing though I think. It mainly happens when I'm cruising to a stop and put my clutch in that it'll happen.

danewilson77
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I think you're thinking correctly.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zhp43867
01-07-2012, 01:11 PM
It didn't do it at all after that. I also think I recall this happening once before.

So, could this be my alternator? Could this also be contributing to my rpm dip that my car suffers from when the car is cold? It mainly seems to happen when it's warm(er) outside. Never when it's below freezing though I think. It mainly happens when I'm cruising to a stop and put my clutch in that it'll happen.

When my Intake CPS was bad if I was cruising a little under 40 and pushed the clutch in the car would dip to around 500-600 rpm. Also my cold idle was unstable, from 600-1100.

My car once dimmed as you described for a brief period, and it was very weird. Went away, and 10k miles later all is well.

kayger12
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Certainly sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator going bad maybe.

I'd drive around with the hidden OBC voltage function running and see what you see.

If that corraborates what you're seeing with the panel, it would be worth removing the alternator and having it bench tested now before it totally craps out and strands you somewhere.

nike001
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
When my Intake CPS was bad if I was cruising a little under 40 and pushed the clutch in the car would dip to around 500-600 rpm. Also my cold idle was unstable, from 600-1100.

My car once dimmed as you described for a brief period, and it was very weird. Went away, and 10k miles later all is well.

What's the intake CPS? I'll definitely take a look at that this week. The dip is pretty annoying and shakes my whole car. I'm very particular with my car so anything remotely wrong drives me nuts

Certainly sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator going bad maybe.

I'd drive around with the hidden OBC voltage function running and see what you see.

If that corraborates what you're seeing with the panel, it would be worth removing the alternator and having it bench tested now before it totally craps out and strands you somewhere.
Okay thanks, I'll try doing that this week. I have to get my car in one of the bays this week at work anyways do that they can center my steering wheel. Hopefully I wont have to pay for a whole alignment for that though.

zhp43867
01-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Intake camshaft position sensor. I actually got mine before it threw a code. Mmmm other symptoms might help you? It seemed sometimes it would surge to 1000 rpm a couple times when I pulled into the garage (while the car was warmed up), and a generally crappy idle. As it got closer to failing the dip down to 500 rpm or so when pushing the clutch in (from 30-40mph) became more consistent, and also on cold starts the idle was more E46 M3 like than zhp like (dipping and rising gradually).

It seems like it probably is your alternator but I just wanted to throw out another idea for you.

Meric
01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Wait wait wow ow whats the normal idle speed then?

danewilson77
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
^650-700

Meric
01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
K im good. :)

MrMaico
01-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I would expect to see the battery light lit on the dash if you were having an alternator issue. You would think that letting off the gas should make the dash lights dimmer, not brighter if it was the alt. I would make sure before buying one.

Do like Keith said and check the hidden function.....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5152-R.e.-Battery-and-alternator-testing

Looks to me like the guy in the video needed a new battery. 11.9 volts is way too low for a battery at rest, it should be closer to 12.7 volts.

llll1l1ll
01-10-2012, 04:21 AM
I would expect to see the battery light lit on the dash if you were having an alternator issue. You would think that letting off the gas should make the dash lights dimmer, not brighter if it was the alt. I would make sure before buying one.

I concur.