PDA

View Full Version : coolant level too high?

Jlastor
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Since the day i bought my car the coolant level light has been turning on and off randomly. Since my car had 85k miles when i bought it I simply thought that it was a bad coolant level sensor. Yesterday I finally replaced the sensor while changing the oil. today the light came back on as "usual".

Left the car cool off since this morning and I just noticed that the red stick is above the filler neck, basically meaning a high level. Could this be whats trigging my light to come on?

Picture of the coolant tank
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/MrJohn/coolantlevel.jpg

PS - coolant tank was replaced 11k miles ago, if that makes any difference.

nike001
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Too much coolant shouldn't trigger a light.

I've seen the techs at work have a car running with the coolant cap off and filling it to the brim before..

telijah
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
The level sensor works by the sensor at the bottom of the tank "detecting" the bottom of the stick, meaning it is too low. So for it to float to the top like that with the cap off, your level should be fine, unless you still have air somehow trapped in the system.

Just for fun, did you put in an OEM level sensor? If not, this may be one of those few sensors where the aftermarket ones are simply junk, and the OEM ones are not that expensive at all.

Crestwood1001
06-01-2013, 10:06 AM
The level stick sticking up like that is the correct coolant level, to much wouldn't trigger it, id throw in an OEM sensor, no one seems to have good luck with aftermarket one.

danewilson77
06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
That looks like correct level to me.

WOLFN8TR
06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
The level stick sticking up like that is the correct coolant level, to much wouldn't trigger it, id throw in an OEM sensor, no one seems to have good luck with aftermarket one.

Exactly...

Also do not top off the expansion tank with water. That's way too full.

Crestwood1001
06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
The second bubble sticking out like that is as full as it should get, your good their. Next step would be get an OEM level sensor and I bet you will be good to go.