PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem???? need help

Johnny330zhp
01-17-2012, 08:36 PM
ok so sadly enough it seems i had my first problem. was sitting in my car in my drive way reading a text as it was running and all of a sudden i noticed that the break light on the dash was on so was the abs and the traction control and the radio wasn't playing any music so i shut the car off and waited a few seconds and when i went to turn it back on it sounded like the batt was about to be dead as it took a good few seconds to turn over and all thos lights stayed on so i tried it again and same problem, then i put it in drive and took it down the street and outta no where thos lights turned off and the radio started playing again and when i got back to the drive way i turned it off and went to turn it on and it turned on normal and strong, does anyone know what this could be? I've only had the car for not even a month and am a lil worried

johnrando
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Hmmm, thought I responded to this but I don't see it. I'm not sure, but start with the battery. A bad battery really affects how these cars run/drive.

kayger12
01-18-2012, 02:35 AM
+1 on the bad battery.

Use the hidden obc voltage function to see what you have going on.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
01-18-2012, 02:42 AM
I had to buy a new battery for my car within days of buying. As well as fix and clear codes the dealer had cleared, just prior to my purchase.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
01-18-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm going to go with battery on this one. Geez, all these battery threads lately - looks like I might make a trip to get one soon!

Also, you might have a bad connection at your alternator. I only say that since you say the lights went out and everything was suddenly normal again. Makes me think something was loose.

Hermes
01-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Well our cars are getting to that age where it's about time to change the battery. I have a feeling we'll be seeing posts like this on and off for the next year or two

Johnny, +1 on likely issue is that it's time for a new battery

Johnny330zhp
01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
well thanks guys, being that i bought the car only a few weeks ago and the dealer that i bought it from changed the oil gave me a new water pump and 2 new tires I'm wondering if i can get him to eat the cost of a battery.

Hermes
01-18-2012, 06:21 AM
If so get him to buy an OEM battery (it's white colored). I would even split it with them for the better quality of that battery

Johnny330zhp
01-18-2012, 06:22 AM
alright sounds good, and on another post someone told me to try the obc voltage function and I'm not sure what that is or how to even do it

Hermes
01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
alright sounds good, and on another post someone told me to try the obc voltage function and I'm not sure what that is or how to even do it

Look in the DIY section in the stickies, Dane has a list of stuff that will help you

EDIT: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

Johnny330zhp
01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
ok so still didn't do the odc yet because I'm at work but had to run out of the office and no i know what the problem is but still don't know why its happening, every time i try and play a cd all the things i listed above happen. As long as i don't play a cd the car work perfect but when a cd is playing for about 30-45 seconds the electrical system goes nuts. Do you think this is still due to a low voltage battery?

kayger12
01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Low voltage can make all kinds of crazy electrical gremlins occur.

Crickett
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
ok so still didn't do the odc yet because I'm at work but had to run out of the office and no i know what the problem is but still don't know why its happening, every time i try and play a cd all the things i listed above happen. As long as i don't play a cd the car work perfect but when a cd is playing for about 30-45 seconds the electrical system goes nuts. Do you think this is still due to a low voltage battery?

That'd be my guess; spinning up the CD motor takes a pretty good bit of juice, & a low battery can cause some odd behavior.

Hermes
01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Low voltage can make all kinds of crazy electrical gremlins occur.

hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dar2HKImK-0

Johnny330zhp
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
haha well first thing came to mind was (guess i just got a good reason to buy the dynavin). but really I'm gonna had the battery checked out and talk to the seller, i guess for now ill just stay clear of playing cds. You don't think the cars will just shut off in traffic or anything right?