PDA

View Full Version : First snow in Philly and I'm bored. /// Rim shopping?!?!

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
So its the first (REAL) snow in philly, I'm sure I could drive just fine but if don't feel like risking anything, so I'm online shopping making a list of items I want to purchase for my ZHP, I wonder what these rims would look like on my Imola red paint

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W0182420884R&wheelMake=O.Z.&wheelModel=Alleggerita+HLT&wheelFinish=Red+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=330i+Performance+Pkg&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

I really like the stock rims on my car but after looking at all the pics from last years car meet it looks to me that almost everyone has close to stock rims, if I were to do this upgrade it would be pretty extreme I believe (red on red) I've never seen it. Might look sickkkk hmm, opinions?

Hornung418
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
No.

cakM3
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree......No.

At least you are asking the "family" for their opinions....hopefully you will take the advice :thumbsup

If you are really looking to swap a new set of wheels for your ZHP then may I suggest you take a look at other forum member's cars and see what they have done? Some of them have awesome wheels on their rides...:thumbsup I for one, swap out between my Style 135's and Beyern Mesh wheels....love the lip in the rears...:biggrin

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
haha really??? man I'm off then cauz I was thinking it would look mad sick hmm u think no because we know the paint won't match or even if I had it matched you still think no? maybe I've just been on the computer looking at tiny pixels too long huh haha

iZHP
01-21-2012, 11:42 AM
If you want to stay with 18's, the red ones would be ~$1,700 without tires. It's definitely different, but that's a lot imo.

Have you looked on Wheel Dude? (http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=99_161)

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
yea charlie, the lip does look sick and I have looked at other members cars and they look great, but for me I want to stand out and have something that I haven't seen before ya know. I really would love to put these on my car but I'm not so sure how that will sit with the M3 guys and my fellow ZHP bros and sis, lol I don't know about you guys but every since I got this car my true M having friends do nothing but talk trash to me haha

Hornung418
01-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Paint-matched wheels is a Porsche thing.

Get them any color you want...just not Red - One, it won't match. And, two, there's no contrast.

Might I suggest White or Gunmetal?

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM
well I also really like the gold/bronze look, I deff believe you guys are right about it prob won't look good. It would be a shame if i spent the money on ordering them

Hochspannung
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
paint your 135's Imola

zhpnsnv
01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Yea those reds won't match or look right at all. Didn't you just get your ZHP? Best bet is to hang around a while and see lots of different cars before you determine the direction for yours, otherwise you drop serious $$$ and might regret it. We all have strong beliefs about what looks "right" on a ZHP, but the bottom line is it's your car and your $$$.

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 12:18 PM
yea your right zhpnsnv most likely ill prob stay stock for a while, I'm just bored on a snow day wanted to pass the time with listening to ideas and opinions from you guys

zhpnsnv
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I think there are a few "can't go wrong" directions with the ZHP and rims: stock, BBS, or any CSL style. That's just my take on it, though. I bought CSL style rims then got cold feet, returned them, and decided to refinish my stockers. Next goal is to have M68s (stock 330 17in rims) for winter use.

Crickett
01-21-2012, 12:35 PM
^ What they said; red-on-red (even perfectly matched Imola-on-Imola) wouldn't have enough contrast & would just look . . . weird. White, gunmetal (:drool), or even bronze / gold would look much better & be fairly unique, IMO.

zhpnsnv
01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
I secretly lust after the imola/gold combo. Preferably gold BBS of some sort. Match that with some yellow fogs and some yellow treatment on the highbeams, plus leaving the yellow blinkers on a sedan and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll never do it, but I appreciate seeing it.

UdubBadger
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
No.

+1

UdubBadger
01-21-2012, 02:37 PM
well I also really like the gold/bronze look, I deff believe you guys are right about it prob won't look good. It would be a shame if i spent the money on ordering them

this would be much better than paint matched (which doesn't even look good on porsches...). Unless its blacked out blk/blk, you need SOME kind of contrast between car/wheels.

The bronze look would be nice because its warm like the imola red. my personal preference/advice is don't go gold, but bronze with more brownish than yellow/gold tone to match the imola well. red can do gold but with imola its a deeper darker red so the browner tone would work better IMO.

johnrando
01-21-2012, 03:16 PM
yea charlie, the lip does look sick and I have looked at other members cars and they look great, but for me I want to stand out and have something that I haven't seen before ya know. I really would love to put these on my car but I'm not so sure how that will sit with the M3 guys and my fellow ZHP bros and sis, lol I don't know about you guys but every since I got this car my true M having friends do nothing but talk trash to me haha

Just tell them they are jealous because your car is more rare and unique (but not special). And I agree, lots of options, but red on red might be tough to pull off.

danewilson77
01-21-2012, 03:18 PM
haha really??? man I'm off then cauz I was thinking it would look mad sick hmm u think no because we know the paint won't match or even if I had it matched you still think no? maybe I've just been on the computer looking at tiny pixels too long huh haha

The white OZ's would look better than those with a nice drop... If you're looking for dramatic.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hochspannung
01-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Who does photoshops? maybe we can get a picture of an imola with imola or gold 135s ?

Johnny330zhp
01-21-2012, 04:19 PM
@ hochspannung that would be awesome and @ dane, u know I didn't even think of white on red..... thats a awesome color combo now that I think of it, I wish I could lower the car but the streets around her blow, I'm already dodging pot holes and crap as it is. Im deff gonna need to stock up on some touch up paint. Only thing I would have to worry about with the white is the brake dust on the front rims, and don't get me wrong I keep my car/rims clean but this would take even more effort.

brettbimmer
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
@ hochspannung that would be awesome and @ dane, u know I didn't even think of white on red..... thats a awesome color combo now that I think of it, I wish I could lower the car but the streets around her blow, I'm already dodging pot holes and crap as it is. Im deff gonna need to stock up on some touch up paint. Only thing I would have to worry about with the white is the brake dust on the front rims, and don't get me wrong I keep my car/rims clean but this would take even more effort.

Agree that the white rims would contrast the red nicely. Def. don't go with the red rims as they will look very odd and get lost with the red paint of your car. As said above, Gunmetal, Black, and possibly even gold would work for a different setup. In terms of brake dust, it would be worth adding some low or no-dust pads to your snow day shopping list. Lastly, there is a photo of an Imola red wagon with white rims somewhere in this forum. Looks great with the contrasting setup! G/L with the hunt!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MrMaico
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
In the box with the pricing you can click on "see on vehicle" to see what they look like on your car. I've always thought a white wheel might look good with Imola but I'm probably too conservative personally to do it on my car. IMO it's hard to beat the look of our stock 135's.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniWheelSearchServlet?autoYear=2004&share=true&partNum=W0182420884R&vehicleColorIndex=2&sw=1280&nonWinter=true&autoMake=BMW&autoModClar=&wIndex=129&autoModel=330i+Performance+Pkg&grid=true

zj96sc
01-25-2012, 05:03 AM
If you think it would look sick then do it my friend. Your car, you don't need us to validate your tastes.

Johnny330zhp
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
@ MrMacio, that feature for some reason didn't work when i tried it but now that i see it, I think it looks alright actually but I'm prob not gonna do the red and now with some more thought maybe not even the white, I think i might got with more of a brushed metal look and you are right its pretty hard to top the stock rims

yura
01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
+1 on what everyone else says, skip the red and other "flashy" colours.

Silver, gunmetal, black, etc. is the way to go IMO!

MrMaico
01-29-2012, 07:39 AM
@ MrMacio, that feature for some reason didn't work when i tried it but now that i see it, I think it looks alright actually but I'm prob not gonna do the red and now with some more thought maybe not even the white, I think i might got with more of a brushed metal look and you are right its pretty hard to top the stock rims

Ya, same here.....I think it looks pretty good actually, as long as it was a perfect match.

Like I said though.....just not my thing. I go back and forth on getting my two slightly rashed wheels refurbed or just buying two or four new wheels or maybe a set of silver CSL style wheels just for ease of cleaning. Hard to beat the look of 135's though.

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I really want to rock these rims, but prob will never bring myself to do it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3974-19-inch-m3-wheel-set-for-e46-m3-and-e46.aspx

danewilson77
01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I really want to rock these rims, but prob will never bring myself to do it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3974-19-inch-m3-wheel-set-for-e46-m3-and-e46.aspx

Fitment is tough with those.

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
oh really? i was actually gonna ask someone if they knew or not about fitment, but i assumed the wheel wells couldn't be much different, I just think these are some sexy ass rims

danewilson77
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
oh really? i was actually gonna ask someone if they knew or not about fitment, but i assumed the wheel wells couldn't be much different, I just think these are some sexy ass rims

///M3 is a wide body.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
ohh alright makes sense, well i think the first mod i gotta do is the dynavin system then who knows the more and more i think about it and look at my car i really wish i could lower it just enough to hide the gap between the tire and fender but I'm always dodging dips and pot holes in the road, scraping the front bumper is the worst feeling ever. Im sure you know PA has the worst roads ever

MrMaico
01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Fitment is tough with those.

They're suggesting the front 8X19 M3 wheel at all 4 corners on the non M E46 on the webpage. Still an issue with fitment? :dunno

danewilson77
01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
No. 19x8 would be fine.....depending on the fitment. I would have to look up ET for those....

EDIT: ET47? You would need spacers up front....not sure about rear.

Hermes
01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
http://seeninjapan.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/bbs-rs.jpg

/thread

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
dude thossss aree sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Hermes
01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
or...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/npalaciom3/GoldBBS.jpg

I just thermonuclear bombed this thread.

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
wow i just love the E46 body so much its kinda scary

Hermes
01-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Basically find a 2-piece BBS wheel you like and get the center painted. I would personally get the centers painted Atacama Yellow w/gloss black lips as my car has the German flag theme going

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5291/5544199769_d0a5328034_z.jpg

Atacama Yellow, BMW paint code B21

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
i really think I'm gonna go totally ///M and try and make my car the first E46 4 door M3

Hermes
01-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Well you definitely can but you're kinda late on "first"... There are many S54 swapped and even some full M3 upgraded (suspension, widebody, etc.) cars done. I would love to see you do it but all I have to say is be prepared to make it rain for a while. Hell, there are even "M3 Touring's" out there...

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 02:45 PM
So basically I found a dual exhaust kit for my car, I would have to find a way to get thos M3 rims to fit, then i would prob be looking at a motor swap wich by the time i get to that in the project I'm sure ill be pushing 200k miles anyway. You know what would really be dope i was thinking, swap the car to all wheel drive with an ///M3 engine that would be boss, an E46 4door all wheel drive M3 hahaha WHAT!!!!!!!!! never herd of anything like it

Hermes
01-29-2012, 02:47 PM
No... Don't try to retrofit the Xdrive to the S54. I honestly doubt it could handle the power, but I could be wrong

Johnny330zhp
01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
yea i mean i would never have the money to pull this off, but it seems like a great idea but as far as just trying to bring my car as close to an ///M3 i feel i could do that, it prob would be cheaper to upgrade the engine to had the same specs as the M3 motor then buying an actual m3 motor and doing the swap (if its even possible)