PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on yellow xenons

midlandtech
01-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey guys I have been tossing around the idea of switching my xenons to 3000k ( yellow) just wondering what everyone thought. I have yellow dogs now and they make a world of difference in night driving so my thoughts are that the switch may improve night illumination...

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermes
01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I would not recommend it (this coming from somebody with 2500k fogs).

Also, depending on where you live they might have laws against that color for low beams. Highs and fogs are usually allowed in the yellow to white range in most states but not low beams, those usually require a white colored bulb. I would double check before doing anything

johnrando
01-21-2012, 03:03 PM
You have pics of what they'd look like? My first gut reaction is that BMW chose 4300 white for a reason, and stick with that for best visibility overall, but I don't know what affect switching to yellow would have.

Hermes
01-21-2012, 03:09 PM
^ huh? OEM is 4300k.

Best choice IMHO are Osram D2S Cool Blue Intense 5000k (3400 lumens)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r230/Busarush12/129-1.jpg

IIRC 6000k is about 2400 lumens

johnrando
01-21-2012, 03:12 PM
^ huh? OEM is 4300k.

Best choice IMHO are Osram D2S Cool Blue Intense 5000k (3400 lumens)

Yup, fixed.

Hermes
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
No worries. I do like the pure white of the 6000k but 5000k is a perfect mix of candlepower + white light

zhp43867
01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
3000k would be great in rain, snow, sleet, and fog. You will get pulled over. I think the ideal temperature would be 3700-3900k, because I believe the halogen temperature is easier on the eyes and defines the road a little better than the normal xenon temperature, 4300k. I'm a fan of the Phillips 85122+ which is "yellow-er" than most all other bulbs rated at 4300k, I've been told it looks more like a 4000k bulb, which I like.

rvariverguy
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
If my lights seem pretty dim does that mean I need to clean or replace the mirrors? I just got this car last weekend and drove it home with low beams and fogs lights on, then realized this week how the low beams basically provide no light. Not sure what the deal is. It's a 2003 and I don't know squat about lighting, except that what I see looks nothing at all like that photo above. TIA for any advice.

nike001
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Hermes, Where can I get those Cool Blue Intense bulbs?

zhp43867
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
If my lights seem pretty dim does that mean I need to clean or replace the mirrors? I just got this car last weekend and drove it home with low beams and fogs lights on, then realized this week how the low beams basically provide no light. Not sure what the deal is. It's a 2003 and I don't know squat about lighting, except that what I see looks nothing at all like that photo above. TIA for any advice.

Lots of material for you!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=725372&highlight=

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-ZKW-Burnt-Projector-Bowl-Repair-Retrofit-DIY

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3598-The-ZKW-Burnt-Bowls-Thread

zhp43867
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Hermes, Where can I get those Cool Blue Intense bulbs?

Did you look on Amazon? They have everything!

jayjay_dee
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I have 4300K on e70, 5000K on corolla, and 6000K on ZHP and guess what, i think my corolla has the best light output....

yellow xenons would be best on fog lights...

nike001
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Did you look on Amazon? They have everything!

Woops. Just finally but 2 and 2 together and figured out that the 'Cool Blue Intense' are the CBI bulbs.

Long day.... :|

midlandtech
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
thanks for the opinions guys I have seen people around here (KC) with them I just know how much better my yellow fogs make driving at night so i figured maybe yellow headlights would make things even better but sounds like that may not be the case

Hermes
01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Woops. Just finally but 2 and 2 together and figured out that the 'Cool Blue Intense' are the CBI bulbs.

Long day.... :|

haha... I went to bed not too long after posting my responses. Yeah CBI = Cool Blue Intense, a little expensive compared to say the Philips 81522+ (OEM) but worth it. Here is one from Amazon (use our affiliate link if you order them)

http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Cool-Blue-Intense-Xenarc/dp/B004W5VW0G

http://nokautimg2.pl/p-1a-2f-1a2f7eda09d0f1bc0e33ae84f3fb788b500x500/d2s-cool-blue-intense-lampa-ksenonowa-35w-5000k-p32d-2-osram.jpg

Here's a great read on the CBI's - http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-Osram-D2S-Bulb-Xenarc-Cool-Blue-Intense

Here's an example of the difference (in some FX-R's):

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/R1ptides/Bulb%20Comparison/IMG_0324.jpg
81522+ on top (4300k)
CBI on bottom (5000k)

spencers
01-22-2012, 12:06 AM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/R1ptides/Bulb%20Comparison/IMG_0324.jpg
81522+ on top (4300k)
CBI on bottom (5000k)

Man, my 85122+ don't look that yellow at all.
I need to give the CBI a shot some time. TerraPhantm swears by them and has told me to try them out!

nike001
01-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Man, my 85122+ don't look that yellow at all.
I need to give the CBI a shot some time. TerraPhantm swears by them and has told me to try them out!

I can see how you think this. My lights don't look this yellow either on the road... but once I pull up to my garage door so I can clearly see my cutoff, they are this yellow :(

That being said, I now have a set of CBI's in my Amazon cart. I'm trying to justify paying $130 for these bulbs -____-
EDIT: Just bought them.

M0nk3y
01-22-2012, 08:00 AM
3000k isn't recommended for low beams just because it isn't good for every day illumination.

The reason why you go with 3000k fogs is because they don't have any reflective nature to the light itself. Therefore you use it in inclement weather, so you don't get and unwanted reflection.

That reflection though from 4300+ is nice (and wanted) though because you can pick up signs easier, other cars that have reflective material and pedestrians, if they are riding bikes or work shirts.

ryankokesh
01-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Learn sumtin' new every day...

http://www.thoughts.swalrus.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

zj96sc
01-22-2012, 08:43 AM
The reason why you go with 3000k fogs is because they don't have any reflective nature to the light itself. Therefore you use it in inclement weather, so you don't get and unwanted reflection.

Everyone should read this.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Pretty good information on the truths and misconceptions on the purpose of selective yellow lighting.

in particular:

What explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for yellow fog lamps, despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought. That effect is known as Rayleigh Scattering, and is why the sky appears blue. However, it occurs only when the droplet size is equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light, which is certainly not the case with ordinary fog, rain or snow. Roadway Fog droplets are several orders of magnitude larger than visible light wavelengths, so there's no Rayleigh Scattering.

So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it.

spencers
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
That being said, I now have a set of CBI's in my Amazon cart. I'm trying to justify paying $130 for these bulbs -____-
EDIT: Just bought them.

When you receive them, leave one of each bulb installed and take pictures. I still can't justify the price when my Phillips work just fine. Maybe you can help. ;)

cakM3
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
If anything, go with the 5000k D2S and yellow 9006. I think that would be a good combination and provide more than ample lighting. :thumbsup

nike001
01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
When you receive them, leave one of each bulb installed and take pictures. I still can't justify the price when my Phillips work just fine. Maybe you can help. ;)

I have a few pictures already of my Phillips bulbs vs Terra's CBI's. The difference is very noticeable, but my current d2s bulbs are all old. I'll upload and post the comparison here later on when I get home.

Hermes
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
If anything, go with the 5000k D2S and yellow 9006. I think that would be a good combination and provide more than ample lighting. :thumbsup

That's my plan in the long run. Already have the PIAA fogs, I just need to bite the bullet on new HID's. I'm in no hurry but hopefully by the end of the year

example: my Philips 4300k and PIAA (halogen) 2500k. Sorry iPhone quality messes with the colors but you know what the 4300k looks like

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/frenching/P1010026.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/frenching/P1010025.jpg

a more "color correct" picture (not iPhone), still not exactly like in person but closer

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/frenching/P1010044.jpg

cakM3
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
JP,

I like the color but in my case I don't think using 5000k will look right with the AEs I'm currently using. I have 6000k LED angel eyes, so I would have to find a new set of angel eyes more suited to the 5000k range to match. If I do this I would change out my AE's or even go with city lights using OEM bulbs which are more yellow than white and then go with the 5000k D2s/5000k 9000k HID combo.

Thinking of doing the city light mod right now.....

zj96sc
01-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I want city lights fo sho. I don't really feel like fooling with reprogramming the LCM though, that's my biggest deterrent. I suppose you could just install and wire them manually...

Where do you get these PIAA 2500k 9006s? The only seller I can find is some sketch joint off of amazon, for $96 shipped to boot.

cakM3
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I want city lights fo sho. I don't really feel like fooling with reprogramming the LCM though, that's my biggest deterrent. I suppose you could just install and wire them manually...

No programming needed to get city lights to work. I'm thinking of wiring them up the same way BP did on his. All I need to do is get the bulb holder, wires, and bulb. Then just connect them to my AE harness and use the city lights as DRLs. The difference between city lights and DRLs is that the city lights are more subtle which is the look I think I like. It will be different from everyone else, that's for sure :)

If I do this then I will be changing out my lighting to 5000k D2S, and 3000k 9006 HID to complete the theme... should look awesome on Imola :thumbsup

Hermes
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Where do you get these PIAA 2500k 9006s? The only seller I can find is some sketch joint off of amazon, for $96 shipped to boot.

I got them from our Amazon store, $65. I think they were listed as HB4 but that's just the new name for 9006

Charlie,

Your response is kinda why I frenched my DRL's opposed to AE's. If I ever want to change the color temp of my HID's it's much easier since I don't have to match them up. I still have to order the PIAA H7's for my DRL's as I'm currently using some cheap Chinese bulb I got from DDM (only $5 for the pair).

zj96sc
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
No programming needed to get city lights to work. I'm thinking of wiring them up the same way BP did on his. All I need to do is get the bulb holder, wires, and bulb. Then just connect them to my AE harness and use the city lights as DRLs. The difference between city lights and DRLs is that the city lights are more subtle which is the look I think I like. It will be different from everyone else, that's for sure :)

If I do this then I will be changing out my lighting to 5000k D2S, and 3000k 9006 HID to complete the theme... should look awesome on Imola :thumbsup

Yeah, I mean that's what I was getting at. You can have the LCM programmed to run your city lights like the car was originally equipped with them, or you can just wire them up manually (to AE harness or similar). I would prefer the seamless nature of the OEM install, but don't feel like fooling with that.

One of my E36 Ms had city lights and I dug them.

cakM3
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah but with OEM the city lights will only come on when you have your parking lights on. The way BP did his was to use them as a remote on/off and DRLs like how the angel eyes are rigged. I liked that idea better. Its something different from what everyone else is doing....

midlandtech
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
What is the high beam bulb type for our cars with Xenon lows?

cakM3
01-22-2012, 05:00 PM
bi-xenons are D2S

midlandtech
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
so if the car has Xenons it also uses the Xenons for highs? sorry for my ignorance on the subject

cakM3
01-22-2012, 05:35 PM
If you have a ZHP then yes. Another way to verify you have bi-xenons is to turn on your lights at dusk in front of your garage, then flip to high beams. Go to the front of your car and if you only see the outer lights (xenons) on, you have bi-xenons.

M0nk3y
01-22-2012, 05:35 PM
so if the car has Xenons it also uses the Xenons for highs? sorry for my ignorance on the subject

If you have bi-xenons....yes, if not...then you have a separate bulb

Sent using satellite technology

midlandtech
01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
If you have bi-xenons....yes, if not...then you have a separate bulb

Sent using satellite technology

coolio thanks guys

spoonerDee
01-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah but with OEM the city lights will only come on when you have your parking lights on. The way BP did his was to use them as a remote on/off and DRLs like how the angel eyes are rigged. I liked that idea better. Its something different from what everyone else is doing....

Keep in mind with angel eyes, they will probably drown out most of the light from the little 194 city light bulbs.

Back on my old e36 I had both angels and city lights and you could not even tell the city lights were on except the small dot of light. When I took out the angels it made a huge difference and looked schmexay.

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Sorry to quasi-derail, but I didn't even know you could get xenon bulbs in any other color other than xenon blue.

midlandtech
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Sorry to quasi-derail, but I didn't even know you could get xenon bulbs in any other color other than xenon blue.

Nope ya can get yellow, varying degrees of white/blue, violet, and pink

~Steve

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Hahahaha pink xenons that's hilarious.

zj96sc
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
What is the high beam bulb type for our cars with Xenon lows?

I believe the "high beam" or "inner" bulb type is the same regardless if you have halogens, xenons or bi-xenons. The difference is the use of the "inner" bulbs. With halogen and xenon, stalk forward turns those inner halogens on full time, stalk backward turns those bulbs on for flash to pass.

With bi-xenon, stalk forward moves your bi-xenon shutters to a higher position to cast more light, inner bulbs remain off. Stalk backward turns the inner bulbs for flash to pass and leaves the shutters alone.

Anyway, long story short...the inner bulbs are always H7s.

cakM3
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
I believe the "high beam" or "inner" bulb type is the same regardless if you have halogens, xenons or bi-xenons. The difference is the use of the "inner" bulbs. With halogen and xenon, stalk forward turns those inner halogens on full time, stalk backward turns those bulbs on for flash to pass.

With bi-xenon, stalk forward moves your bi-xenon shutters to a higher position to cast more light, inner bulbs remain off. Stalk backward turns the inner bulbs for flash to pass and leaves the shutters alone.

Anyway, long story short...the inner bulbs are always H7s.

^
+1

That is correct. One exception is if you are coded to use the inner (flash to pass) lights along with the bi-xenons for high beams. Pushing the stalk forward will now light both the xenons as well as the hallogens for your high beams. Gives you more than adequate lighting :)

midlandtech
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
^
+1

That is correct. One exception is if you are coded to use the inner (flash to pass) lights along with the bi-xenons for high beams. Pushing the stalk forward will now light both the xenons as well as the hallogens for your high beams. Gives you more than adequate lighting :)

Can a dealership do this? Or is it an Indy shop thing

~Steve

zj96sc
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I just picked up a pair of optilux (hella) "2500k" H7s for my FTP inners for giggles. $25 to my door from summit.

Also think I'm going to start pinching a few pennies and pick up a set of projector fogs and 3000K HIDs in a couple weeks. Looks like I can do it with all DDM tuning parts for like $105.

Mtnman
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM

~Steve

No. technically, not legal in US as you can have 3 sets of forward bulbs (fog, inner, and bixenon), but if one can find someone who can code cars (there are a few here) then you can get it done. it is very helpful for those with ZKW burnt bowls.

cakM3
01-23-2012, 02:28 PM

~Steve

You need someone with NCExpert or similar program to code this for you... Dealership and Indy can't do this...