PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise

GSEN820
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I have been looking for advice on this.

I have talked to a couple people, searched e46f, wondered if anyone else has experience. if so what was your solution on the fix.

I am turning my wheel left and hear this creaking noise. The control arm is 2 years old with 18k on it. I am thinking either steering coupler or tie rod. I will be doing a good lube to see if that helps any. It really does sound like a bushing. I had my car up on the rack last Friday (sway bar, FCAB, end link, struts) everything looked good.

Any ideas to what I may be missing.

danewilson77
01-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Could be crusty ass (Tech term) end links or tie rod ball joints.

GSEN820
01-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Tie rod ends?? These are first to be changed. Sorta guessing.

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
In my E30, the old FCABs made tons of creaking noises in hot weather when turning the wheel.

Crickett
01-30-2012, 10:36 PM
You may be victim of the infamous E46 "pirate-ship creak"! (Search E46F for all kinds of info.) I had a similar-sounding creak from my driver-side front that presented usually at low outside temperatures, low speeds (like pulling into / out of a parking spot), & high turning angles. Replacing my LCAs, LCABs, & outer tie rods made no difference. I never did get a 100% diagnosis, but I long suspected the strut mount, & haven't heard it since the entire driver-side suspension was replaced after my accident. YMMV.

az3579
01-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Weird, I get a creak too, but not while turning. Happens when I go over bumps, and only happens sometimes. I found it a really odd coincidence that it started happening literally as I got done with the performance brake install... It was cold at the time, however.

Perhaps our noises are related?

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

bullfrogs_M3
01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
I have this problem as well. I have replaced:

FCABS - OEM to UUC back to OEM (just put on this past weekend)
Swaybar Bushings - OEM to UUC back to OEM (just put on this past weekend)
Suspension (problem persisted across three different suspension setups)
Front Control Arms - installed Meyle HD arms about 5K miles ago
Tie Rods - installed Meyle about 5K miles ago

SO FAR!!!! the problem is gone since going back to OEM FCAB's and Swaybar bushings (still running UUC Sway though but with OEM rubber vs urethane bushings) This thing has pissed me off for YEARS and YEARS. Hopefully this fixes the groan/creak

jreyes19
01-31-2012, 07:06 AM
I have a creak that sounds like a pirate ship
but mine is in the rear right of the car and usually is heard when i am slowing down using the brake
I am thinking it may be the strut mounts
as Cricket suggested

GSEN820
01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
HAHA Thanks guys....

I changed out strut mounts with camber plates, H & R cupkit 6 k ago, end links, FCAB 1k ago, LCA's 12k, have not yet tried tie rods but that is next on the list.

I looked on e46f but you know some people are on it. You have to weed out all the info.

My noise has stopped for the moment. I had different people look and cant figure it out either.

spencers
01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Strut mount(s)!

bullfrogs_M3
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Strut mount(s)!

For those with coil overs, our strut mounts are one piece of the unit. Wait.....are you talking about the strut mount on the body/frame or the strut mounts on the suspension?

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
For those with coil overs, our strut mounts are one piece of the unit. Wait.....are you talking about the strut mount on the body/frame or the strut mounts on the suspension?

Lol... He's talking about RSM's and FSM's.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ClimRox
10-20-2015, 07:12 AM
You may be victim of the infamous E46 "pirate-ship creak"! (Search E46F for all kinds of info.) I had a similar-sounding creak from my driver-side front that presented usually at low outside temperatures, low speeds (like pulling into / out of a parking spot), & high turning angles. Replacing my LCAs, LCABs, & outer tie rods made no difference. I never did get a 100% diagnosis, but I long suspected the strut mount, & haven't heard it since the entire driver-side suspension was replaced after my accident. YMMV.

I have run into this issue over the past few days (I think colder temps. may be a cause). The only difference is that mine is on the passenger side. The sound seems to come from the passenger floorboard/lower firewall area, and the sound does not seem to be rotational. I've got 79k miles, and the only suspension work I have done is replace the FCABs.

Has anyone found the definite cure for such a noise?

ClimRox
10-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Bump for any ideas.

I hear it in the morning while pulling out of my driveway, then in the parking garage at work after a 20 minute commute. In the late afternoon after work, I haven't heard it pulling out of the parking garage or at home. :scratchinghead Maybe it as something to do with the radiant engine heat while sitting during the day?

BMWCurves
10-21-2015, 07:56 AM
My father has/had a similar sort of issue on his E39. It was a temperature dependent creaking/rattling that only cropped up when it was 30-40F. The cause (we think) is something in the braking system shrinking just enough to have some movement, possibly the dust shield. But your problem sounds a little different.

ClimRox
10-22-2015, 05:53 AM
^ Thank you for the idea. I think I may have found the issue.