PDA

View Full Version : 2005 ATX ZHP Quarter Mile Times

Blurr
01-31-2012, 12:53 PM
I picked up my ZHP about a year ago but I just haven't had the chance to get down to the track and see what it does in the quarter mile. It's an automatic, entirely stock, I was just curious to see what kinds of times it would get.

I'm in Las Vegas so the elevation is about 2000 feet.

15.600 on the first run with a 60' of 2.397 and a 15.566 with a 60' of 2.395. Traction control was entirely turned off. The first run I basically just pressed the gas as soon as the light went green. On the second run I held the brakes and the gas to get it to 2k rpms. I don't know if there is any way to get lower 60' times but I'm open to suggestions. I was just adhocing it since it's only an automatic.

I'm going to be going back at least once more before I get an intake and a reflash tune. I don't expect much of a performance gain in the quarter mile from the reflash, I'm doing it for it's other benefits but it'll be interesting to see the before and after. I expect maybe a 15.2 after the intake and tune. I wont be seeking to add any other performance mods after those.

johnrando
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Good info, thanks for posting. Looking forward to more.

Hermes
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
A few questions...

What was outside temp?
Were tires warm?
What brand/model of tires and how much tread left on them?
Which DSC off setting were you on?
What brand and octane of gas?
Is your air filter clean?

some advice...

in straight line runs DSC can be left on, it appears you were spinning your rears when you pre-loaded on that second run. You might be able to get in the 14s with DSC on to help you keep your traction at the launch point

Blurr
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
A few questions...

What was outside temp?
Were tires warm?
What brand/model of tires and how much tread left on them?
Which DSC off setting were you on?
What brand and octane of gas?
Is your air filter clean?

some advice...

in straight line runs DSC can be left on, it appears you were spinning your rears when you pre-loaded on that second run. You might be able to get in the 14s with DSC on to help you keep your traction at the launch point

Temp: Between 30 - 40 f, not sure exactly but it was pretty freaking cold and windy.
Tires: Probably not warm much at all. I've never done a burn out with this car and I didn't want to take any chances. Brand, I don't remember off hand but they are only a month or so old.
DCS: Entirely off, Yellow traction control and "brake" light.
Fuel: Chevron 91 octane, always
Filter: I just had an inspection 1 done not too long ago. I haven't personally cleaned it but if they don't clean it, I'll have to do that myself before I go.

Excellent tip. I'll be sure to do that when I run again. The lines at the track get really long really fast so realistically, I can only get 2 or 3 runs in before I'm waiting more than a half hour to do another run. Should DCS be turned all the way on or only partially off? Is pre-loading actually advantageous?

Hermes
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
If they have a wet patch I would do a small burnout there to get them warmed up a bit. Not very easy to do in a step, takes a bit of practice to learn how.

I would try one run with DSC on, one with it on the first stage off. No point in turning off completely as you will lose time at the start when your wheels spin.

For your filter take it out and hit it against the ground for now to clean it. You should probably start looking at either an AFE drop in filter or a full intake replacement. There isn't much more you can do without ECU tuning, lighter wheels, going FI or the whole other list of possible mods.

Pre-loading will put you higher in the power band and can help a little, I don't know by how much

Blurr
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
They do have a wet patch. I've never done a burnout in an automatic car before, any tips?

I do need to get some sort of intake some time soon. Too much to do before I get to that or a tune. Busy busy. I have two other cars that need my attention more immediately hehe

Hermes
01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Haha... sounds just like me. I've never done a burnout in an auto either. Not exactly sure how to

Blurr
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Haha, I guess I'll just have to put some water on a nice surface and figure it out ;)

Hornung418
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Burning out in an automatic is difficult, but you need to work the brakes and the accelerator at the same time. Hold the brakes and release them slowly while you give it some gas. This is called a "brake-stand."

EDIT: Here's a helpful video (http://jalopnik.com/400435/how-to-do-a-burnout-with-an-automatic-transmission-rear+wheel-drive-vehicle) from Jalopnik.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
:begging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEkUV7torQ

Hermes
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
To be honest I have to agree with Dane and the video, put your car on a real track. Drag strips are for cars that don't know how to take a corner. HPF cars and the like get a lot of other work done to them to beef up the rear end to handle all that power. Unless you plan on some serious upgrades then I would just say to forget about this quest

johnrando
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Agree, but all he did was rev it to 2K and then let it rip just to get a #. In fact, the first run was with no revs. That's not the same as trying to beat 13 sec. it was more of a baseline stomp on the pedal, our cars can handle that.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Agree, but all he did was rev it to 2K and then let it rip just to get a #. In fact, the first run was with no revs. That's not the same as trying to beat 13 sec. it was more of a baseline stomp on the pedal, our cars can handle that.

Absolutely. Video was intended as a "gentle" reminder to us all. That's all.

johnrando
01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Absolutely. Video was intended as a "gentle" reminder to us all. That's all.

Yup. My post was more to the idea of "forgetting about his quest"... no reason in my mind to abandon just getting an idea of what your car can do. Now, if we're talking burnouts, etc, the yes, may as well forget about all that.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Yup. My post was more to the idea of "forgetting about his quest"... no reason in my mind to abandon just getting an idea of what your car can do. Now, if we're talking burnouts, etc, the yes, may as well forget about all that.

Unless your pocket book is waaaay deep.

Blurr
01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, no quest intended, I was just curious to see what it could do and to know if there is anything that I could have done to have a better time. I could never drag race the car again and I'd be happy. I have another car for that. I would however love to take it to a time-attack event like Redline just to have a bit of curvy fun with it ;)

But the chances are that I will take it to the track again, especially after it gets tuned with an intake, again, just to see :)

I'll have to watch those videos when I get home for sure. Thanks for posting them!

brettbimmer
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
FWIW, I have run my 6M zhp at VIR at the same time with a fellow with an auto zhp, both cars stock, and we were very, very close lap after lap. He was running MP sports & I a less aggressive Yokohama S. Drive. Maybe it was the color difference that gave me a really small edge? :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk