PDA

View Full Version : Phone holder/mount solution...

Washburn
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
This is really not about audio/ICE, so I am just posting in general section...

So what do you guys use to mount/hold your phone?

I have heard good things about proclips, but was wondering what others have used/using...
post a small review with pros/cons, price, and where you got your holder/mount.
Pics would be GREAT, too...

Thanks a lot in advance

az3579
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Nothing fancy, just a standard iPhone mount from the Verizon store mounted as low as possible on the windshield (bottom of the unit touches the dash) so in case it loses suction, it doesn't go falling.

I will be moving to a dash mounted holder as soon as I find something stable and affordable.

Washburn
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks...

I was trying to avoid anything with suction cups...They don't 'suck' after a while, and fall off, which is really annoying and can be dangerous, too...
I go through this with my Garmin GPS holders :(

you're right though...the Proclips are like $70 ! damn! but they work really well it seems:
only showing mount - without holder:
http://www.proclipusa.com/image.aspx/media/images/products/dashmounts/802851-4.JPG-225x

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=7611&processor=content&pcategoryid=12893&categoryid=12894&year=2005&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=12893&v_cat=12894&year=2005&d_pcat=13759&d_cat=18357&have_holder=false&have_mount=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=

I am also trying to avoid vent-mounts, as they might damage the vents and are not very stable...

bullfrogs_M3
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I have this in my car right now. Works well and will rotate to landscape mode as well. Fits any phone on the market......or should, at least it works well with my iPhone:

http://www.bimmian.com/46/MDM/
(lots of pic on the link above or if need be I can snap one in the car)
http://www.bimmian.com/elements/product.htm/showcase/MDM/ML_020.jpg

INSTALLATION DIFFICULTY: 2/5
Basic Installation - Simple Tools, No Special Knowledge Required

What makes this the best mobile holder for your BMW? It's specifically designed to mount in the optimal location offering the driver the utmost in comfort, visibility and convenience of any mobile phone holder on the market.

Our custom vehicle mounts add convenience with a factory like appearance to your vehicles interior without obstruction instrumentation or modifying your dashboard in any way.

Our mobile holders are the easiest, cleanest and most secure way to mount your mobile devices! No gluing. No clipping to vents. No drilling. No suction cups. No permanent visible dash modification. This is what makes our mounts so desirable! The last thing you want to do is drill your dash! (On a few models, the bracket must be screwed to the dash under the dash trim. If the dash mount is removed and trim replaced, the holes are not visible.

The main concept of this product is to create a secure and accessible way to mount and operate a mobile phone, iPod/MP3 Player, satellite radio or GPS unit, much like they would the controls on a car radio. The device can now face the driver directly allowing better visibility of the display. Our mounts are made of a unique high-carbon mild steel, have a great strength-to-weight ratio and are finished with a black powder coat to look great in your vehicle's interior.

Once mounted, depending on the device, it can either be secured directly to our mount, or one of our optional device holder can be fitted to the mount. Our device holder features a spring loaded "quick-hold" system that opens up at the push of a finger, and hold any Phone/iPod/Blackberry/MP3 device securely. The phone holder adjusts to fit phones between 1 3/4" to 2 3/4", ideal for most mobile smartphones / MP3 players on the market today. The holder also features on-the-fly rotation for devices that you wish to see in a landscape position and in portrait.
WIth the bimmian device holder you can rotate instantly and the holder locks into that position.
Each holder had 4 soft & secure pads that protect and hold the device in place: one on each of the three arms holding the device and one large pad for the device to rest against.

Our mount provide the ability to plug cables into the top or bottom of your device, as well as access along the side at specific points.

The final install has the mobile unit angled at the drivers sight line without obstructing a single button on the dash, and within easy reach while leaving the glove box to open freely.

The following satellite radios may be attached directly to any of our mounts using hardware supplied with your radio without any other attachments from Bimmian: Delphi XM SKYFi, XM SKYFi 2, XM Roady, XM Roady 2, Myfi, Terk XM Commander, Audiovox S.R.S. SIR-PNP1, S.R.S. SIR-PNP2, S.R.S. SIR-PNP3, XR9; Brix Streamer SIR-STR PNP1, Radio Shack Orbiter SR4000, Clarion SIRPNP; JVC KT-SR2000, Sirius Starmate, Sirius Sportster, XACT XTR1 Stream Jockey, Sanyo CRSR-10, Kenwood KTC-H2EC

NOTE: This item is available for left hand drive vehicles only.

NOTE: This product is not intended to be used by the driver of the vehicle while driving.

Washburn
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
That's also from Proclip? - I think it's the exact same thing.
Thanks for the pics...looks great
- i am leaning towards the left-mount for now (see my post above with pic)...but we'll see.

UdubBadger
02-16-2012, 01:27 PM
that one from bimmian always looked good. the Kuda mount is also nice but $

danewilson77
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
This. Clean look. Easy to use.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6883750747_d22fb04742_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dw77zhpmafia/6883750747/)
Imola Interior Bimmian PM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dw77zhpmafia/6883750747/) by Dane Wilson77 (http://www.flickr.com/people/dw77zhpmafia/), on Flickr

Washburn
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Hmmm...idk why but I feel like the phone is very far from the driver...but perhaps that's how it looks due to the angle...
I think I will feel better with a 'left' mount, as it's pretty close to my reach...

Your interior looks rather swell, I say!

HokieZHP
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
I also have the bimmian mount. There are a few pics of it from different angles in my project thread. I like it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks
...can't find your project thread...searched. :(

HokieZHP
02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I'll just re-post the pics cause I'm on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks very much! appreciate you taking the time, sir!

midlandtech
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I just bought the bimmian mount hope to get it soon cause I am tired of my phone sliding all over when I have it out to listen to music off it

gr330zhp
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
My phone goes in my euro center tray, and the lid gets closed. The cord plugs right into there and it all goes through my Dynavin, through bluetooth or iPod mode. I personally hate clutter and anything that didn't come in the interior, so this is my solution :dunno

podkaz
02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
here is another option, though i don't have any personal experince with this product
http://www.kudausa.com/bmw-3-e46-99-05-black-a56.html

JohnnyGraphic
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I have the Pro Clip/Bimmian metal bracket. The nice thing about that is that you can install just about any type of mount that you want, whether it's for an iPhone, GPS or other. The only thing I ever really put there is my iPod. My phone stays on my hip and I use a blutooth for calls. It's an older generation iPod, so anytime I need to skip songs or pause, all I have to do is touch the wheel. The only downside is that the phone mount gets in the way of the face plate of the navi when I open it up-which I never do, but you may run into problems with it. Since I never use CD's, I've never bothered to move the phone mount on the clip. No biggie.

Johnny

llll1l1ll
02-17-2012, 04:29 AM
I put my phone in the cupholder. Nobody calls me enough to warrant having a mount/hands free set.

az3579
02-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Does anyone with the Bimmian mount have their trim bulge a little bit from the metal bracket being installed underneath it?

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

midlandtech
02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I put my phone in the cupholder. Nobody calls me enough to warrant having a mount/hands free set.

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/112010/alone1.jpg

jk

iZHP
02-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Exactly. I just plug mine in, put it in the cup holder, and off I go Lol.

Does anyone with the Bimmian mount have their trim bulge a little bit from the metal bracket being installed underneath it?

This. Also, does it interfere with the passenger? Does it stick out and hit their knee or anything?

kayger12
02-18-2012, 03:08 AM

What's a cupholder?
:biggrin

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

kayger12
02-18-2012, 03:10 AM
My phone goes in my euro center tray, and the lid gets closed. The cord plugs right into there and it all goes through my Dynavin, through bluetooth or iPod mode. I personally hate clutter and anything that didn't come in the interior, so this is my solution :dunno

#1.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

JohnnyGraphic
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Yes, there was a ver slight bulge under the trim piece. But, you really can't tell unless you're looking for it.

I really like it. It's versatile enough to accommodate any type of mount and is totally reversible.

To address another question, it doesn't interfere with the passenger at all. IF you do decide to get it, pay attention to the phone mount since the flip open CD/Navi screen can hit the mount, but not the metal bracket.

Johnny