PDA

View Full Version : Who all got your second tail light recall letter?

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I just got my official "we got parts so make an appointment" letter.

Which dealer to go to now. I may go to the one that deals with Ferrari and Maserati so I can stay entertained when waiting.

ryankokesh
02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I got my recall letter a while ago, but not my we got parts letter.

quikryptonite
02-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I just got a second recall letter today for the Tail Light malfunction. I was hoping that it would be for the Xenon headlights when I saw it. I thought it was really odd that they would send a second letter. My dealer had my car fixed a week after I got the first letter a few months ago.

yura
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I didn't get any letters at all (know about the recall, though), but I also bought my car used (although from a dealer), so BMW probably doesn't know who/where I am. Do I need to register myself with BMW NA or something?

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
The recall is for sedans only your coupe is ok.

iZHP
02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I didn't get any letters at all (know about the recall, though), but I also bought my car used (although from a dealer), so BMW probably doesn't know who/where I am. Do I need to register myself with BMW NA or something?

They get the info from your VIN when you register the car with the state. You're the current owner.

rikdee
02-18-2012, 01:04 PM
i got my second letters today. I fixed my '03 myself prior to the recall; might take the ZHP in for grins.

quikryptonite
02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
You can register here:

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Forms/Login.aspx

danewilson77
02-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I just got a second recall letter today for the Tail Light malfunction. I was hoping that it would be for the Xenon headlights when I saw it. I thought it was really odd that they would send a second letter. My dealer had my car fixed a week after I got the first letter a few months ago.

+1. I did the same thing.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

yura
02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
The recall is for sedans only your coupe is ok.

Oh, I thought it affected coupes, too. Don't the coupes and sedans have identical tail lights?

They get the info from your VIN when you register the car with the state. You're the current owner.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

You can register here:

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Forms/Login.aspx

Cheers!

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
No there probably the same set up but there slightly different. There were a few cases of coupes affected but this recall applies to the 02-05 sedans only.

goofiefoot
02-19-2012, 06:47 AM
I got my second letter this week, plus 2 calls and an email from the dealership wanting me to bring it in. BMW must be hounding their folks to get this taken care of.

RVAzhp
02-19-2012, 02:56 PM
got my recall letter and already took my car in. i guess the "fixed" it...i never had any issues really.

SoarinZHP
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I got mine yesterday... I really don't feel like dealing with it.... However- if the NTSB and the dealer think it is a problem, then it must be... Whatever.

Johnmadd
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
I got it.

prowlerflyer
02-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Got it. Was fixed three weeks ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

zhpnsnv
02-20-2012, 07:01 AM
had it fixed after the first letter.

Oli77
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Just got the second letter about the parts being available today.

shadowpuck
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
recently received my 2nd letter.
i had long ago fixed the issue myself.

been debating what i want to do about this other than just ignore it.

az3579
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I still haven't gotten a second letter. I'd have to revert my setup, which is a bit of a PITA, but if it means getting a new connector (on which the ground is completely burnt out with a crater in its place), then I'll do it...

328ioc
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I have not received any letters undoubtedly due to the fact that I am the 3rd owner of my car.

Does any one know of an easy way to get the work performed with out having a letter?

I was planning on fixing the lights my self but if I can get it done for free then why not.

az3579
02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I have not received any letters undoubtedly due to the fact that I am the 3rd owner of my car.

This has no bearing on whether you get the letter or not. I am the third owner of my car as well and I received a letter.
Everybody who is affected will get a letter as long as they are the registered owner of the car. By registered, I mean with the state. The dealer goes based off State registrations.

shadowpuck
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
This has no bearing on whether you get the letter or not. I am the third owner of my car as well and I received a letter.
Everybody who is affected will get a letter as long as they are the registered owner of the car. By registered, I mean with the state. The dealer goes based off State registrations.

yup, 'tis true. also, your vehicle has to be identified as one of the ones affected by the issue.

Newjack
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I got my second notice in the mail yesterday. I have LED tails on now, and I never had any problems with a BOW before. Do I still need to have this done?

jayjay_dee
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
thanks for the reminder guys, i received the 2nd letter last week and totally forgot about it until now...

az3579
02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I got my second notice in the mail yesterday. I have LED tails on now, and I never had any problems with a BOW before. Do I still need to have this done?

I would put your stock lights on so they can't deny coverage... I wouldn't give them an excuse. That's why I'll be putting my stock tails back in.

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Does any one know of an easy way to get the work performed with out having a letter?

I was planning on fixing the lights my self but if I can get it done for free then why not.

Take your car to dealer and tell them you want it done.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

98Vette
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I got a second letter yesterday. Is this a major problem? I really, really hate heading to the dealership. But if it's a big deal then I will take it in. Can I get a 335 loner if they have it for the day? Sweet!

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Take your car to dealer and tell them you want it done.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Not a big deal. 15 minute diy if you're game.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

328ioc
02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Not a big deal. 15 minute diy if you're game.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Agreed but I figure if I can get the parts replaced fo free instead of moving the ground why not do it that way. lol

Magically sent from my Crack Berry tablet using tapatalk

llll1l1ll
02-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Oh cool, I'm not the only one who received a second letter. I actually thought it was going to be about my headlights.

Anyway, I already had my car fixed under the first recall. I don't need to take it in again, do I?

iZHP
02-23-2012, 04:54 AM
I would put your stock lights on so they can't deny coverage... I wouldn't give them an excuse. That's why I'll be putting my stock tails back in.

I have RCR and I didn't put my stockies back in. But they're not LED like yours so maybe that is a good idea.

Got my parts letter yesterday. I already took care of it when I got the original notice.

danewilson77
02-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Agreed but I figure if I can get the parts replaced fo free instead of moving the ground why not do it that way. lol

Magically sent from my Crack Berry tablet using tapatalk

I think they move the ground as well, no? Anywho....free IS better.

328ioc
02-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Also some one said to make sure my car is an affected one and I haven't had time to look at the inside of the lights yet, but it is an 05 sedan and i get random bulb out warnings.

some one please correct me if I am wrong buy I believe this means it is an affected model.

Whitexi
02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
I made an appointment for next Friday, I told then my plugs and carriers were shot and the lady said I may be leaving the car, and taking a loaner.

llll1l1ll
02-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Also some one said to make sure my car is an affected one and I haven't had time to look at the inside of the lights yet, but it is an 05 sedan and i get random bulb out warnings.

some one please correct me if I am wrong buy I believe this means it is an affected model.

If you get random bulb out warnings despite confirming the presence of the functioning bulb, you are probably affected.

e3thekid
02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
i did last week and took her in last Thursday.

Johal E32
02-28-2012, 08:12 PM
i did last week and took her in last Thursday.

same, but I went in last Friday

Daddyoh
02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
I received my 2nd. Now I have to decide if I want to go to the closest to me, or one that has an X3 I'd like to get for my wife, lol.
I have not had a very good experience with the closest one which is BMW of Sterling. Anybody around here have a comment on Sterling???

Crickett
03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Got mine . . . the day after leaving my car in Vegas. :P Might consider having the fix done in September in Vegas, even after having done the DIY fix a few years ago.

jorbon
03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Getting a random bulb out warning- with no bulb out. Thought it was probably the aftermarket clears the PO installed...
Can someone tell me what the fix is? I'll have to think about making the fix myself.

danewilson77
03-05-2012, 05:35 AM
What bulb is it?

I have had my front corner/s do this beofre.

My fix was...

1. Remove bulb from socket.
2. Slightly bend up metal conductor in socket.
3. Apply a small dab of dielectric grease.
4. Re-install.

The above has worked for me on several occasions.

Or

Replace the socket. It's a pretty cheap fix. Sometimes the contact point gets very badly corroded.

So

Inspect the socket first...then do as prescribed.

EDIT: This is in tail light recall thread? Is this a tail light recall issue?

Tampa330i
03-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I got my 2nd letter a few weeks ago. Never had anything recalled before... I just take this to a dealer and they take care of it? Free, I hope? Will it matter to BMW if I've changed the tail light housings and some of the bulb colors? I've never been to a real BMW dealership, that should be exciting :)

bullfrogs_M3
03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I got the second letter on my taillight recall. My shredder thoroughly enjoyed the taste of fine BMW letterhead paper.

danewilson77
03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I got the second letter on my taillight recall. My shredder thoroughly enjoyed the taste of fine BMW letterhead paper.

Hehe.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

GreenFrog
03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Got my second letter about a month back. Dealership 'fixed' my tail lights last week for free. I did have the bulb out warning come out several times when it was still hot out, but ever since winter came, I never got the bulb out warnings.

spoonerDee
03-07-2012, 05:07 AM
I received mine a few weeks ago, but have no idea when I will get it taken care of. The closest dealers are all a few hours drive away and I work 6 days a week.

LivesNearCostco
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I called Crevier BMW (Southern California) and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I bought parts from them before but have never had service done there, or at any BMW dealer. I did the tail light ground wires myself in 2010 and bought new harness plugs but need the new plugs installed. They said bring any BMW invoices and they will look into reimbursing me for what I paid on the BMW parts. (I got some of the parts from Radio Shack.)

They said it will take a half day so will provide a courtesy loaner vehicle. Wonder what I'll get...

Sockethead
03-09-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't have time to read all 5 pages... I'm at work. I was assuming I don't need to do this since I'm using aftermarket LED tails, yes?

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Still uses the same plug....correct?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5400-My-(Meric-s)-E46-Tail-Light-Ground-Fix....

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/TL2.jpg

Sockethead
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Still uses the same plug....correct?
Yes but much less amperage with LED, I'm guessing but then agian, there are resister packs that simulate the current draw of the standard bulbs... hmm.... guess I'd have to put my original lights in the have it done...

LivesNearCostco
03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Got it done yesterday. Only briefly inspected left side but it looks like a pretty nice job, and they did replace my black plastic socket plugs which had been melted around the old ground wire pin. I had bought those plugs last year and offered mine to them but they declined and used their own parts following the official recall campaign instructions. I will get partial reimbursement for the parts I purchased prior to the recall--they only reimburse for parts that were on their recall campaign list, and since some of my parts were not, I don't get reimbursed for those. That's okay with me.

Crevier BMW/Mini treated me very nicely even though I have never bought a car from them nor had my car serviced there before. (I have purchased parts from their parts counter.) The loaner was a 2012 128i automatic and was nice to drive but I was happy to get my car back. I asked if they had a 135i and while they did not, they offered me a choice of a 128i or 328i loaner.

Now if we could just get a ZKW HID projector bowl recall going...

gammagoblin
06-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Just found this thread. Hmmmm, I have an 04 sedan, and never got any letter. I have gotten a BOW twice now. First one went away after turning the car off, second one I just flipped the corner lights on and off. Looking at the car all the lights are fine. I thought the BOW was a symptom of this but I never got a letter for the recall. Debating calling up a dealership. Also I have clears, but the tails are OEM euro clears.

328ioc
06-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Just go to the dealer and tell them you want the recall taken care of. I never got any letter either but they fixed it no questions asked.

RITmusic2k
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
FYI, I called my dealer first and they told me my '04 sedan was unaffected...

danewilson77
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
FYI, I called my dealer first and they told me my '04 sedan was unaffected...

But mine was....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

RITmusic2k
06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah, my initial understanding was that *all* vehicles in the date range were affected. But they had my VIN on record since that's where I bought my car, and they said it didn't qualify.

Maybe they were just blowing me off - they did the same thing when I asked for a DME update; they disregarded my statement about the 2800rpm hesitation and just said, "no, your car has the latest DME version; they haven't come out with one since like 2008." Didn't even check. Methinks I need to find a new dealer for these sort of service calls.

cjares
07-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Anybody know the dates of manufacture that qualify for this? I have a 2004 sedan built in feb 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sockethead
07-11-2016, 11:23 AM
If you call the dealership and give them your VIN, they should be able to tell you what recalls you car still needs