PDA

View Full Version : Help, missing parts for cooling system overhaul

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 10:13 AM
ordered the stage III ECS tuning kit and I'm told that 3 1/2 hrs in, they realized there was a secondary thermostat that isn't included. Do I need to buy this elsewhere or not need to use it or what?

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Sec thermostat? What p/n?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Crickett
02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Bwuh? I've only ever heard of the one t-stat; think they meant the lower radiator hose's temperature sensor? Part #4 below (P/N 13 62 1 433 077)?

http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTU4NTM0X3A=.png

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 10:26 AM
no it looks like it was something that goes inside the expansion tank maybe?

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
coolant level sensor?

number 5:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/u/y/262.png

I did not replace mine on either ZHP during cooling overhaul........should I have?

Crickett
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
no it looks like it was something that goes inside the expansion tank maybe?

coolant level sensor?

number 5:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/u/y/262.png

I did not replace mine on either ZHP during cooling overhaul........should I have?

Bingo; that's the only thing (esp. a "sensor") that goes in the exp. tank. Most (all?) coolant kits don't come with a new one; I didn't replace mine, & IMO you don't need to replace that unless it's known to be bad. (Or if you break it during the overhaul; it's fragile!)

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
You could have. My kit came with new one. Only time will tell if you should have replaced :)

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

LivesNearCostco
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
The level float! Nawww, that comes with the new expansion tank. If you have an automatic transmission, there is the other thing that connects to the bottom of the tank, I think it's the A/T cooling thermostat.

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
The level float! Nawww, that comes with the new expansion tank. If you have an automatic transmission, there is the other thing that connects to the bottom of the tank, I think it's the A/T cooling thermostat.

Not the level float. The level sensor, in the bottom is what we're talking about.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Not the level float. The level sensor, in the bottom is what we're talking about.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I'm pretty sure my kit came with a new level sensor as well.

By secondary thermostat, maybe they meant for the automatic transmission? Which I don't think you have, so it isn't a problem anyway?

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Figured it out, not supposed to be anything. Confirmed on realoem.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM

I think the tech thought thats what was missing but we verified it.

Thanks for everyones help!