PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise (Vid)

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. I notice it from time to time on cold starts. Temperatures are low right now. Freezing or below freezing. It is kind of a droning sound. I am not quite sure where it is either. It sounds like it's "inside" something. All belts, tensioners, and pulleys have been replaced, cooling system overhauled, and MAF cleaned. I didnt have a chance to clean the DISA, ICV, or TB yet. Not sure if it is intake related.. Still original VANOS. 01 330 130k miles. Anybody have any ideas?

You have to listen past the engine for a *droning* sound and it's kind of on and off. It's not a repetitive sound. Clicking HD will help you hear it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAhhw_Oyns&list=UUjV9D-rCe5IZf9bWxxKM16g&index=1&feature=plcp

kayger12
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
SAP? Does it stop after the first few minutes?

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
No it's not that. It's only on real cold starts. Took the car out for a wash earlier and started it up again a few hours later and the sound was gone. It's an inconsistent low droning like wowwoooowwowowooww. lol. The only way I can describe the sound in my head is "air vibration". It "seems" to be located toward the back and inside somewhere but thats not for sure. Just wondering if it may be VANOS related or if it could be signs of something I should be worried about.

You can hear it pretty clear at 26sec - 29sec.

danewilson77
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
You won't know until you do VANOS?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Lol... I have a feeling it could be early signs of VANOS starting to go. I am going to be looking into the project soon. I am just not 100% sure cuz I dont get that "marbles in the engine" sound. It's different.

danewilson77
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Lol... I have a feeling it could be early signs of VANOS starting to go. I am going to be looking into the project soon. I am just not 100% sure cuz I dont get that "marbles in the engine" sound. It's different.

Thats the "rattle". Seals don't fix the "rattle".

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
02-26-2012, 06:55 PM
You shouldn't have a rattle with your car (rattle typically associated with the hotter cams in the ZHP).

I don't think the vanos seals going would make any kind of sound. :dunno

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm still trying to understand everything related to VANOS. I thought the main issue was seals going bad and the rattle but I am learning there is much more to it. First time I am researching this now. But still dont know if that little droning noise on a cold engine from time to time is deffinitely VANOS related.

Either way, I will keep an eye on it and see if it progresses any while trying to understand everything VANOS on the M54B30.

kayger12
02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Read up here if you haven't. Great info http://www.beisansystems.com/faq.html

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I have read this but I get no idle hiccups or stalls, clean idle, and engine seems to pull pretty strong down low. I dont have any of the symptoms people talk about when it is VANOS related. But I'm not sure if this occasional noise could be early signs.

:dunno

I'm also a very OCD. Most people would prolly not even notice and go about their life. I want my baby feeling like she did in 2001.

kayger12
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't see why the seals starting to go bad would make any discernible noise.

I'm thinking whatever is making the sound is not vanos related.

spencers
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I've never ever heard of any noises related to VANOS failure or problems. I see that you've been manipulated by the newbie idiots from bfc that cry VANOS for every problem. Noise isn't a tell. As kg said, rattle is only in cases of zhp cams.

The grand tell of worn seals is hesitation (pause before power delivery) in low rpm's when you jump on the accelerator.

If I had to take a stab at the noise between 25-29 sec (aside from the wind noise that hit the mic), I'd say it's the hydraulic piston in the main belt tensioner. I've noticed this on a couple of cars I've done work for. It likes to vibrate sometimes. I'm not sure why. Maybe it has somehow exhausted the fluid inside? I doubt, because a brand new one I installed on a friends car make that slight vibrating noise.

mLuMaN83
02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I see that you've been manipulated by the newbie idiots from bfc that cry VANOS for every problem. Noise isn't a tell.

Dane started it.. :conversation lol

But yeah I don't think it's VANOS related but I don't want to leave out the possibility. I don't like driving my car with problems. It's an interesting sound. Doesn't sound bad really but it doesn't sound normal either. Thanks for the feedback man. Interesting take. I'm going to listen next time it does it around that tensioner. I replaced the pulley on it cuz it was shot but I didnt replace the tensioner itself. It was tight! And btw... the sound is noticeable right at 29 seconds when i bring the camera close to the manifold. My mistake.

I'm gonna look more into this mysterious noise of mine.

mLuMaN83
03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I recorded a new video. It's much louder in this vid. Once again, on a cold start. Goes way when I have driven it and only does this from time to time on a cold start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMSIAGw2c8

LivesNearCostco
03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
I was gong to guess SAP, because that's my favorite guess whenever someone hears a funny noise on cold start that goes away after a minute or two. But kayger already suggested that, and you said it only happens when it's really cold out, like below freezing, right? I would think the SAP would run on any cold start with outside temps below 50F, and you said the noise is like from the back center, not the passenger side where the SAP is located.

Could it be frozen CCV? Do you have any "chocolate milk" on either your oil dipstick or bottom of the oil fill cap?

kayger12
03-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Hmmm. Can definitely hear it much better in that video. And definitely sounds like a vibration.

Have you tried putting pressure on the plastic engine cover on the valve side (not the fuel rail one, I saw you press on that at one point)? Also on the ECU heat shield/divider thing? I'd just start narrowing down things that could have slight play and could cause that kind of vibration.

If you don't find anything there, I'd get the car up on stands or a ramp and get under it when it's running and try to narrow it down from underneath.

To put the earlier discussion to bed, it certainly doesn't sound vanos related.

I agree with you, though-- while it doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about (to me), it would drive me nuts and I'd have to figure out what the hell it was.

Ryans323i
03-04-2012, 07:38 AM
It's hard for me to tell, but I hear something that I want to say my car makes the same noise on cold start ups. Try turning your vents completely off. See if the noise changes/disappears.

And no, I'm not talking about the common "vent cricket" sound.

spencers
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
If I had to take a stab at the noise between 25-29 sec (aside from the wind noise that hit the mic), I'd say it's the hydraulic piston in the main belt tensioner. I've noticed this on a couple of cars I've done work for. It likes to vibrate sometimes. I'm not sure why. Maybe it has somehow exhausted the fluid inside? I doubt, because a brand new one I installed on a friends car make that slight vibrating noise.

Quoting myself because after watching your new video, I'm pretty sure that's what the noise is.

das boots
03-06-2012, 07:08 AM
I would like to take a stab on this.....the sound is like a wobble. And the one that wobbles most if out not lined up are the pulleys and belts. My .05 worth....it ain't worth much.

edlvrt
03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
To me, that sounds like something is resonating. When you rev the engine, does it disappear, or does the frequency change? As you say it sounds like it comes from the back of the engine compartment, have you tried tightening the torx screws that hold the air filter mount? I can't think of what else could be vibrating back there.

Edit: I watched the rest of the vid, and the noise goes away when revved. That would make me think that it it nothing mechanical. If you have a long screwdriver or a wood dowel, try touching it to whatever you can reach and apply a little pressure. You may be able to isolate the source if the noise goes away or changes tone. Good luck.

mLuMaN83
03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Checked the hydraulic tensioner and pulleys and the noise doesnt seem to be coming from the area. Havnt noticed the noise for the past few days on start up. When it doesn it again, I'm gonna take a broom handle and start pressing away at the firewall. lol

MrMaico
03-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I would take a look at your Disa valve just to rule that out. IIRC that's similar to what my car sounded like the day I bought it.....dealer replaced it before I signed the papers. Mine didn't pulsate like that though and it's not in the spot where you think it's coming from but it's worth a shot. If it's got 130,000 miles on it it probably is getting loose/sloppy even if it isn't the problem and it's easy enough to remove. Or you can even just try unplugging the power to it and see if that changes anything.

Barry