PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With My First Detail

mLuMaN83
03-06-2012, 09:23 AM
So I need to get my car detailed when the weather breaks.

I need to get the paint corrected from swirl marks and a few small touch up areas. I need to bring back some of the brilliance on my chrome window trim but not sure what to use? I was also wondering if I should use a polish AND wax on the headlights and tail lights or just wax? And one more thing. I used a quick coat of wax on my interior wood trim and came out very nice but wondering also if a polish AND wax would be better?

I already have a buffer. I was also thinking of going Pinnacle for all these products.

Products:
- metal polish for trim? brand?
- clay bar
- swirl remover
- polish
- wax

Process:
- wash with Dawn to remove all polishes and contaminants
- wash with dedicated car wash
- dry
- clay bar
- swirl remover
- polish
- polish window trim
- wax

Happy?

Anything else I would need? Any other ideas? And on a side note, I hope to have a set of new CSL wheels on for my first detail. The time is coming close..:o

Ryans323i
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
You don't need to wash with Dawn and a dedicated car wash, just one. I would use the car wash instead of Dawn as long as it doesn't have a wax in it. Also, you'll need to wash after you clay bar.

I'm just starting to seriously detail myself, so I can't help you much more. But I will mention, all the detailers that I admire on here use Meguiars M105 and M205 polishes.

Best of luck!

zhpnsnv
03-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Looks good - agree with the suggestions above. Remember that the _art_ of detailing takes lots and lots of practice. It takes time before you start to see the results that get published all over the internet. The urge will be to buy more/"better" products (ask me how I know), but the reality is that as you get better, you'll make whatever products you use work.

I found TiAg tough to detail because it was difficult to see the hazing/swirling/halogramming.

Some things I've picked up after screwing up a lot:
- I like to use the smallest pads possible when using a buffer/machine
- The buffer (for me) does not cut time for the detail, it maximizes effectiveness
- Have PLENTY of microfiber towels handy, and some cotton (flannel) towels handy, too
- Take the necessary time involved -- rushing = bad news
- Best polishes I've found for me and for my cars (chili red/imola red) have been the menzerna polishes

mLuMaN83
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Looks good - agree with the suggestions above. Remember that the _art_ of detailing takes lots and lots of practice. It takes time before you start to see the results that get published all over the internet. The urge will be to buy more/"better" products (ask me how I know), but the reality is that as you get better, you'll make whatever products you use work.

I found TiAg tough to detail because it was difficult to see the hazing/swirling/halogramming.

Some things I've picked up after screwing up a lot:
- I like to use the smallest pads possible when using a buffer/machine
- The buffer (for me) does not cut time for the detail, it maximizes effectiveness
- Have PLENTY of microfiber towels handy, and some cotton (flannel) towels handy, too
- Take the necessary time involved -- rushing = bad news
- Best polishes I've found for me and for my cars (chili red/imola red) have been the menzerna polishes

Thanks for the suggestions. And yeah I'm actually pretty handy with things like this. Working on watches is very tedious and takes just the right amount of love and muscle so I understand that there is an 'art' to the entire process. It takes me way longer than it should to wax my old car. From wash to wax without polishing, it usually took me 8-10 hours inside and out. lol. I just now am getting into more professional products and expanding my detailing horizons. I know it wont be perfect but I need to at least get some of this done the right way.

zhpnsnv
03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
8-10 hours is what a spring detail takes me, too. I love getting lost in it, regardless of the outcomes. Get us some pics when you're finished!

mLuMaN83
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Get us some pics when you're finished!

Definitely!

spencers
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Meguiars M105/205 and get some solid pads. Best bang for the buck factor!

What buffer will you be using?

On my TiAg I've personally been using Poorboys SSR and a PC 7424 buffer. Topped with S100 wax.

danewilson77
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
EDIT: Mods please move to detailing section. I posted in the wrong section by mistake.

Done

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

bullfrogs_M3
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
As a lot of people here have said....Take your time. Products come and go and give different levels of depth and detail based on paint color and condition. So experiment and have fun. I finally wrote down what I do to the wife's car and my car below, I pinned the sheet to my garage above my detail bench so I can use it at a quick glance. I use a Porter Cable 7424xp and 5.5" pads. And to answer your question, yes.....yes it has become an obsession to me :(

- X5 Exterior Detail Steps -
Chemical Guy’s Snow Foam
Chemical Guy’s Citrus Wash and Gloss
Clay
Meguiar’s M105 Ultra-Cut Compound
Menzerna PO83
Menzerna PO106FA
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Polish
Blackfire Midnight Sun Wax

- 330i Exterior Detail Steps -
Chemical Guy’s Snow Foam
Clay
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
Menzerna Super Finish
Chemical Guy’s JetSeal 109
OR
Chemical Guy’s EZ-Creme Glaze
Dodo Juice Blue Velvet (Hard wax)
Dodo Juice Purple Haze (Soft wax)

-------------------- CUTTING COMPOUNDS --------------------
Purple Wool Pad
Speed 3 then to 5 then to 7 then to 5

-------------------- POLISHES --------------------
Menzerna PO83 Super Intensive Polish SI 1500 Menzerna PO106FA Super Finish Polish SF4000
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish Menzerna Super Finish
Orange Light Cutting Pad White Finishing Pad
Speed 4 then to 6 Speed 4 to 5

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
White Finishing Pad Blue Finishing Pad
Speed 4 to 5 Speed 4 to 5

-------------------- SEALANTS --------------------
Chemical Guy’s JetSeal 109 Chemical Guy’s EZ-Creme Glaze and Acrylic Shine II
Black Finishing Pad Black Finishing Pad
Speed 5 Speed 5

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant
Black Finishing Pad
Speed 5

-------------------- WAXES --------------------
Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax Dodo Juice Purple Haze Soft Wax
Black Finishing Pad / Hand Applicator Blue Finishing Pad / Hand Applicator
Speed 4 to 5 Speed 4 to 5

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax
Hand Applicator

cakM3
03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
lots of great advice here :thumbsup

As other's here have said, take your time.....don't rush a step. If you want a mirror like finish, then plan some time to your detailing project. In the end, it will be well worth it. :thumbsup

mLuMaN83
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Meguiars M105/205 and get some solid pads. Best bang for the buck factor!

What buffer will you be using?

On my TiAg I've personally been using Poorboys SSR and a PC 7424 buffer. Topped with S100 wax.

I am not sure what it is. I think it's a Ryobi. It's been years since I have used it. Got it for free years ago. I've used it a few times and it's great with fully adjustable speed. I always used Meguires NXT Tech Wax on my Tiburon but looking at a more professional product. The NXT wax was really nice tho. One of the best looking waxes I have tried especially on my dark blue Tib.

As a lot of people here have said....Take your time. Products come and go and give different levels of depth and detail based on paint color and condition. So experiment and have fun. I finally wrote down what I do to the wife's car and my car below, I pinned the sheet to my garage above my detail bench so I can use it at a quick glance. I use a Porter Cable 7424xp and 5.5" pads. And to answer your question, yes.....yes it has become an obsession to me :(

Great List. Thanks a ton!