PDA

View Full Version : Help

midlandtech
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey guys I left on my trip today and check engine light came on about 4 hrs in. I had just fueled up and turned ac on had a guy in the tiny town I was in read it and code was P2227 any ideas?

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Sounds like post #12 from a fellow Mafia member (LivesNearCostco) ....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303967

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

LivesNearCostco
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Gee, that does sounds like me! And for me it did seem to happen only on long trips after I stopped for gas/food/bathroom then resumed driving, usually at night. What were air temps like when this happened? I assume our cars' engines and DMEs don't know whether it's day or night (even with automatic headlights), so am guessing it must be related to low/falling air temps, changing barometic temps, long drives, or all of the above.

ryankokesh
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, that happened when I was driving my zhp home from oklahoma. Went off the next day. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

midlandtech
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Cool thanks guys I am driving through western KS and temps jumped up to around 80 when I pulled into the little shop to ask to borrow a code reader you would have thought I was driving a F-40 or something by the reactions from the 3 mechanics in the town

~Steve

LivesNearCostco
03-12-2012, 01:23 PM
So maybe unrelated to cool weather, only to long drives. I usually have a code reader on long trips and first 3 times I cleared the code, but last 2 times I just let clear itself--took 3 or 4 drive cycles. Basically visit gas station, visit fast food place, and visit brother in law, then CEL turns off. I'll bet you don't actually have to visit your brother in law for this to work. And if it doesn't clear itself after 4 cycles, probably need to borrow the code reader.

ryankokesh
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
you would have thought I was driving a F-40 or something by the reactions from the 3 mechanics in the town

Lol... everything's relative I guess :)

midlandtech
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Well it came back after about 2-2.5 hours of constant driving I cleaned the MAF like 3-4 months ago should I tear it apart at the hotel tonight and reclean it?

~Steve

danewilson77
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Well it came back after about 2-2.5 hours of constant driving I cleaned the MAF like 3-4 months ago should I tear it apart at the hotel tonight and reclean it?

~Steve

I wouldn't unless car is running poopy. You start tearing stuff apart, out of town, and the "unplanned" may happen.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't unless car is running poopy. You start tearing stuff apart, out of town, and the "unplanned" may happen.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
+1

Wouldn't worry about it, Steve.

ryankokesh
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
+2. I'm also not convinced it's the maf.

midlandtech
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
10-4 thanks for the advice guys just 30 min left and this 13 hr drive will be over

~Steve

midlandtech
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Noticed a slight rattle when going over bumps (roads here and through Texas were the worst I have experienced) I looked at the wheels and saw that A break pad clip has fallen off the passenger side caliper is it safe to drive or do I need to find a replacement

~Steve

midlandtech
03-14-2012, 04:59 PM
This is drivers side to contrast

~Steve

danewilson77
03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
I would replace that sooner than later. It is only an anti-rattle clip though. Pads should stay put.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

midlandtech
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok closest BMW dealership is 4 hours away and if it was a structural thing I would be canceling the rest of the trip an heading to take care of it... Think it's ok to drive it back to kc and replace it there?

~Steve

ryankokesh
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Personally I would say it's okay to wait until KC, but honestly there are a lot of people on here who's opinion I would trust much more than mine :)

zj96sc
03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I got that 2227 about 2.5 hours into a trip in the low 30s. Cleaned the MAF and trashed the K&N for a paper. Hasn't been back since, but also haven't been on a ton of long trips since.

az3579
03-17-2012, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about that clip, either. That's just an anti-rattle clip. I once drove without it and it was fine.
Definitely replace it when you can, though.

quikryptonite
04-29-2014, 03:54 PM
I just thought I'd add some more evidence to the bizarre P2227 error code.

I was driving on I-80 this morning, cruising along at 70 mph and I noticed the SES light was on. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was on when I started my car this morning or not. I stopped by Autozone after work and I pulled the P2227 code. I didn't remember seeing that one when I was investigating what it might be.

After a very quick Google search, I bought some MAF cleaner. I stopped at the library and the grocery store on the way home. When I fired her up the last time, the SES light was no longer illuminated.

We have been experiencing weather in the high 60s, low 70s and then over the weekend it turned very chilly with a little bit of slushy rain. So, the phantom barometric error that is the P2227 code seems to have struck again. Really, who knows what happened?

I recently replaced the lower and upper air intake boots and crankcase valve and ventilation assembly. So, unless it appears again, I'm not too worried about it.

pilotnick1203
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Ah western Kansas, once you get past Topeka there is nothing...

Mr Paul
05-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Ah western Kansas, once you get past Topeka there is nothing...

At least there is the wind farm to look at near Ellsworth...

pilotnick1203
05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
At least there is the wind farm to look at near Ellsworth...

LOL and the flint hills... We drove out to New Mexico from KC and it was the most boring ride ever

quikryptonite
04-14-2020, 11:21 AM
I've been battling the P2227 gremlin again. After a few months of off and on and cleaning the MAF, air filter, etc... I just broke down and bought a new MAF. So far, no SES light. Fingers crossed.