PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow What Is This!?

mLuMaN83
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
So I get in my car to go play golf today and all the sudden out of nowhere there is LOUD screeching noises coming from my rear. Had nothing to do with the brakes. Only during movement. It makes all kinds of noises! This is out of the blue! I am also considering the suspension refresh kit for the front and rear from ECS. Anybody know specifically what this noise is? I think it was right rear. Not sure I should keep driving it like this. I turned around and parked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps74nZC48E4

kayger12
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
My guess is a bad wheel bearing.

Get the rear off the ground and apply pressure at 3 and 6 oclock alternately. If there is any play in the wheel, your bearings are shot.

kayger12
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khjK0y6PIw

johnnyrad
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
My guess is a bad wheel bearing.

Get the rear off the ground and apply pressure at 3 and 6 oclock alternately. If there is any play in the wheel, your bearings are shot.

I concur.
Man but that was loud..

mLuMaN83
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Holy moly I didnt think a wheel bearing got that bad. That sounds like what it is.

Do you guys think it would be ok to drive until I get it fixed? That a lot of play. I think I am going to have the front and rear suspension refreshed with kits from ECS and have all 4 wheel bearings done while it's in there I guess.

kayger12
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
My friends E36 was that bad and he drove on it for another few weeks. When I jacked it up and checked it, it was worse than the VW in the video.

He got away with it, but it's rolling the dice, imo. I personally wouldn't drive on it any more than you really need to.

Oli77
03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Are your wheel bearing alloying for play as bad as seen in the video?

mLuMaN83
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Are your wheel bearing alloying for play as bad as seen in the video?

I have no clue. I have not checked it yet. It just started out of nowhere today as soon as I started out the driveway. I may get it up in the air in a few days.

But on an odd note, the noise stopped on my way back. I pulled into a driveway and backed out back onto the road with a horrid noise, then as I pulled away it stopped. Even tho the noise stopped, something is still wrong and I dont want to take a chance on driving it any more than I have to. Took the Merc to the golf course ha. And PS... I hated it.

LivesNearCostco
03-15-2012, 10:56 PM
A few times I have had weird scraping noises from my brakes during AutoX and it turned out a little pebble had gotten stuck behind the brake rotor and the brake dust/splash shield. The pebble gets into the gap at the the top of the splash shield but cannot get out the bottom and rattles around. The first time it only rattled when I was turning one direction! I found two ways to remove the pebble.
1) Push the bottom of the dust shield inward slightly with a socket extension or pen or stick, letting the pebble fall out
2) Driving backwards sometimes lets the rotor flip the pebble out

Mine was much more of a rattling noise than scraping, but maybe yours was also a stuck pebble. If you want to try to replicate it, just stuff a small pebble between the dust shield and brake rotor at one of the rear brakes. Okay, maybe you don't want to actually test that way, but if you're willing to scratch your rotors in the name of automotive engineering research...

llll1l1ll
03-16-2012, 03:36 AM
Generally, you can drive carefully on a worn out wheel bearing. However, I've never had one screech. They always hum and vibrate. Keep in mind, there is an added element of heat from the extra friction of the worn bearing. At some point, it will give and the wheel will seize.

Ryans323i
03-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I love your reaction, mine is always the exact same, " Oh God, what now!".

IMO, and experience, wheel bearings grind and vibrate, but do the test to see. When mine was grinding the test was very subtle, hardly any play.

That screeching sounds like what Costco mentioned, dust guard or pebble.

danewilson77
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I love your reaction, mine is always the exact same, " Oh God, what now!".

IMO, and experience, wheel bearings grind and vibrate, but do the test to see. When mine was grinding the test was very subtle, hardly any play.

That screeching sounds like what Costco mentioned, dust guard or pebble.

Agree. Adam had a pebble stuck and his rotor actually seized and would not turn. Tire actually skidded.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mLuMaN83
03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I think it was a pebble :shift. I stopped after I reversed the car. Didnt make any noise at all today.

:GheybeSpider

kayger12
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Good to hear.

For once, I'm glad to be wrong. :)

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

spencers
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Knew it was something brake related.

Glad to hear its gone

Ryans323i
03-17-2012, 06:15 AM