PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Costs of BMW Parts (Ridiculous)

imola red zhp
03-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Post your horror stories of Parts your thought you were overcharged or ripped off from a dealer or parts store.

Here's mine I did the cooling refresh from ECS, I decided to replace the A/C belt too since I did the Rogue pulleys which came with the new Serpetine Belt.
So to save time I went to the Dealer 4 miles from my house to purchase a belt so i could do it while the fan was out. This was my the shock
http://img.tapatalk.com/aeea0502-ce79-9b1d.jpg

$86.87 with tax, my water pump cost that much WTF????
I ended up returning it and ordered from AutohausAZ (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773) for $9.77 on sale $11 for shipping.

acontzhp
03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Dude that's insane. I'm very interested to see more of these stories.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

derbo
03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
What dealership is this?! No way this should be marked up that much! That deserves a complaint.

Judging by your location, I would say its East Bay BMW or Concord BMW.

I pulled the part number you suggested and this is what I came up with.

Pricing Information
Sugg Retail: 25.14 USD

imola red zhp
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
What dealership is this?! No way this should be marked up that much! That deserves a complaint

I pulled the part number you suggested and this is what I came up with.

Pricing Information
Sugg Retail: 25.14 USD

East Bay BMW Pleasanton Ca.
I just got my belt from Autohaus today, it was only 2 days to wait, I m glad I brought it back they gave me full refund even though receipt say 20% restocking charge on all returns ????

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk

derbo
03-15-2012, 10:14 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous. MSRP is $25!!1 I understand maybe $30 but $80?!?!

imola red zhp
03-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Heres the return
http://img.tapatalk.com/aeea0502-db4a-aab3.jpg

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk

static667
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
That is insane. I would go to NAPA or another parts store first.

derbo
03-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm going to check what my store charges for this in the morning. This is insane..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
03-16-2012, 03:33 AM
This thread will pretty much scare everybody away from the dealership.

ryankokesh
03-16-2012, 05:01 AM
I go there for little stuff. Fasteners, clips, etc. Haven't gotten ripped off yet... The coolant I got wasn't even that bad.

That's insane for a belt though. I probably would have laughed and left. Lol.

imola red zhp
03-16-2012, 05:09 AM
I go there for little stuff. Fasteners, clips, etc. Haven't gotten ripped off yet... The coolant I got wasn't even that bad.

That's insane for a belt though. I probably would have laughed and left. Lol.

I was in sticker shock and bought it anyway, I realized after I could use the old one until the one I ordered showed up..:facepalm I was a dumbass...

ryankokesh
03-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Join the club :)

llll1l1ll
03-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Surprisingly, oil is only 7.15 after tax at my stealership.

cakM3
03-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Post your horror stories of Parts your thought you were overcharged or ripped off from a dealer or parts store.

Here's mine I did the cooling refresh from ECS, I decided to replace the A/C belt too since I did the Rogue pulleys which came with the new Serpetine Belt.
So to save time I went to the Dealer 4 miles from my house to purchase a belt so i could do it while the fan was out. This was my the shock
http://img.tapatalk.com/aeea0502-ce79-9b1d.jpg

$86.87 with tax, my water pump cost that much WTF????
I ended up returning it and ordered from AutohausAZ (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773) for $9.77 on sale $11 for shipping.

Interesting to know what dealership this is. I go through BMW of Newport here in Rhode Island and quoted that same part (part number pictured) and got quoted $32.99 for the same part. $79.88 is ridiculous. Not all dealerships are ripoffs like this....

derbo
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
List price at my dealer (BMW SF) is $30.92 + tax.

Whoever you were dealing with was a total ripoff jack.

nk_zhp
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I rarely get upset at things like these. We live in a free market (US), so you are no obligated to pay those prices. The fact that you were in a pinch and had to get it is not really their problem. New car sales margins have essentially come down to 0, they have to pay for those shiny marble floors somehow right?

imola red zhp
03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Nice! At least that's resonable if you're in a bind. AutohausAZ delivered to my house in 2 days $21.30
Derek thank for checking good to know. Just called Concord BMW list is $31.77, so my guess is there is some "glitch" at East Bay for that part #.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Looks like a price error at east bay.

Sent from official ZHPMafia.com iPad 2. ;)

M0nk3y
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
BMW parts are just expensive...it sucks. I had to get a plastic wheel well guard for my car...its suppose to break if something hits it and deflect so it doesn't get into my brakes...but the stupid part costs $40. Outrageous

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

derbo
03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Looks like a price error at east bay.

Sent from official ZHPMafia.com iPad 2. ;)

I sure hope so, cause that is insane to be charging. Most dealerships in the area have the more or less same price -+5%

BRGcoopahS
03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
I have a friend who works in service, he gives me his prices. a little over 40% off.

JohnnyGraphic
03-17-2012, 07:29 AM
I rarely get upset at things like these. We live in a free market (US), so you are no obligated to pay those prices. The fact that you were in a pinch and had to get it is not really their problem. New car sales margins have essentially come down to 0, they have to pay for those shiny marble floors somehow right?

You're right, we do live in a free market society and yes, we are not obligated to pay them. But, IMHO it's just morally wrong to triple charge you since you're in a bind. Yes, they have to pay for shiny marble floors, but I have my own floors to pay for too. Not to mention property taxes, cars, food, clothing, utilities and Uncle Sam. We ALL pay for them. The ends don't justify the means. Charge Retail. That's o.k. BMWCCA member gets 10 or 15% off at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton. I rarely go there, since they're somewhat secretive about prices. You order several things and they just ring it up, no prices on a register to see as they're ringing things up. Only a receipt at the end when you pay. I suppose that's the way they are with everything. That said, I don't think I've paid that high of a mark-up on an item. Even $30 is a bit high for the part. MSRP is $25? 20% markup. Even at retail prices, how much do you think they are making over dealer cost of that part?

Dennis was right to return the part and HOPEFULLY there was just a pricing error in the dealer's computer for the part. The parts guy should have had a light bulb go off and say 'hmmm that's a little too high for that part...' and double checked.

FWIW, I usually like to go to Monument Auto on San Ramon Valley Blvd in San Ramon when I'm in a bind for parts and what not. They don't have everything, but they're fairly knowledgeable and helpful.

In any case, don't want to start a flame, not getting on your case about it, just an opposing opinion. :cheers

Johnny

derbo
03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Johnny,

MSRP is manufacturer suggested retail price. Sadly it means anyone can charge however much they want but it also means you don't need to buy from them if their prices do not appeal to you.

SoarinZHP
03-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm not a big fan of purchasing parts from a dealer. Before I was comfortable ordering though the mail, I purchased my parts from an indy. It was cheaper than the dealer though not as cheap as mail order. I wish I could remember what it was I bought later - but I decided to never buy parts from them again. I felt like I got royally screwed on price and quality. I'm just as happy going through the mail. Although I must be a bit more strategic in purchasing so I get free shipping. Buy x,y and z plus filters.... etc.

quikryptonite
12-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I've bought a few small parts from the dealer that had a modest markup on them which I was willing to pay. However, I didn't even bother to call my dealer to get a quote on my new Bi-xenon headlight assembly I ordered. I probably should have anyway just to get a laugh.

nike001
12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Employee price FTW.

~40% off, and $40/hr (from ~$106/hr) labor. Woooo wee!

I plan on getting oil & diff fluid changes this upcoming week.

Mike V
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
A good friend has a 2011 X5 diesel and he goes to the VW dealership to buy the urea because it costs 1/4 there than at the BMW dealership for the same stuff.

Lespaulman16
12-17-2012, 01:34 PM
When I worked for BMW in Charleston, SC, employees got 60% off on everything, and some parts were discounted up to 80% off. I was close with all the parts guys (and girl), and their monthly profit margin was out of this world.

Mike V
12-18-2012, 12:28 AM
You guys probably already know, but there are a few dealerships that sell parts online for very reasonable prices.

Tischer http://getbmwparts.com/ (never had a problem with them)
BMW of Lincoln http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215771 (ordered from them twice and they were very slow to get the order sent)

JKO_ZHP
12-18-2012, 01:36 AM
My buddy sells BMW parts. If he doesn't already have them in stock in the back then he buys them at a discount from a dealership that has them and sells them for way lower than other places still, usually.
If nobody's able to/willing to share their hookups, then I'm definitely more than happy to get anyone in touch with my guy :)
I stopped cross-referencing his prices with online retailers after the first purchase. Small things like the oil filter housing gasket might be a dollar less online but the heavy hitters are always lower and I get them same-day or within a few days max.

johnrando
12-18-2012, 06:31 AM
We actually have a thread called mafia hook ups, where you can share your deals (I know some people have them but can't share online). BTW, we should probably move that thread to the members only section if we're really going to use it.

UdubBadger
12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
This is why I use tischer BMW for oem. Became friends with the parts managers and now I get cost and free shipping. ;)

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Mike V
12-19-2012, 01:47 PM
My buddy sells BMW parts. If he doesn't already have them in stock in the back then he buys them at a discount from a dealership that has them and sells them for way lower than other places still, usually.
If nobody's able to/willing to share their hookups, then I'm definitely more than happy to get anyone in touch with my guy :)
I stopped cross-referencing his prices with online retailers after the first purchase. Small things like the oil filter housing gasket might be a dollar less online but the heavy hitters are always lower and I get them same-day or within a few days max.

Can you just post who your guy is?

JKO_ZHP
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Can you just post who your guy is?

Allan @ Legend Import.
(626) 537-zero-seven-five-five.
Calls and texts are both fine; he's supplied all of my maintenance and most of my aftermarket mod parts for this E46 and the last one.