PDA

View Full Version : Hard start, fuel smell sometimes

Scorpius
03-26-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm finding my ZHP 04 is getting hard to start. Doesnt matter if it's hot or cold (outside nor engine temp) sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not, but. most often it does.
Seems i have to press the gas to get it to start and then it feels rough for about 5-10 seconds then everything is normal.
I've checked all my intake boots, no cracks/leaks.
Any other ideas?

llll1l1ll
03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Maybe a leaky or faulty injector?

telijah
03-26-2012, 08:38 AM
+1 on an injector problem. Are you throwing any misfire codes? If so, you could try to start diagnosis with the swap method... Swap the plug first with a cylinder not misfiring, if no change, then swap the coil, and then lastly the injector.

Scorpius
03-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Well...I ordered and installed new ignition coils last night (performance coils from bavauto.com) and while in there i looked at the fuel rail and all around the top of the engine and i see no leaks at all. So if the thoughts are it's a faulty injector...does anyone have information on how to remove these and check them and reinstall them? Would i also be able to clean them out and get them working again cause these suckers are EXPENSIVE from a quick look at pelican.
also...would i need to go back in with new orings or is this something i could just go do quick, give them a good cleaning and rule out?

llll1l1ll
03-30-2012, 09:17 AM
It's a good idea to use new o-rings, but if they look okay and you are in a pinch it's worth a shot.

nickershocker
03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Your fuel filter might need replacing.

Scorpius
03-31-2012, 07:03 PM
ok used my bently manual today and took them out. found some videos on youtube using a syringe and a battery to supply power to them and i backwashed them first then forward like normal operation. looks like the backflush pushed out some stuff, nothing major just the choke and throttle cleaner was coming out discolored. ran it till it came out clear then reversed and ran them like normal. funny these things just have 2 jets and not 4. anyhow all back together and it seems to start fine now. I could definately tell a MAJOR difference on launching from a stop. but of course i want to see it start for a few days and long/short trips without the issue reappearing.
Man..this was an EASY job to do. took longer to clean them than removing and putting them back it.
So the next question.....with 173k on my car was it just 'time' or should i worry about my filter? or where i get my fuel from?
I also cleaned the holes they mount down into...each hole looked like more gunk than in the previous one the back was the worst the front the best.

kayger12
04-01-2012, 02:48 AM
^ Sounds like a great job researching, troubleshooting, and fixing.

Post up those links if you have them handy. I'm sure they'd be a big help to people who find their way to this thread with the same problem.

Sent from my outdated Droid X

Scorpius
04-01-2012, 04:14 AM
^ Sounds like a great job researching, troubleshooting, and fixing.

Post up those links if you have them handy. I'm sure they'd be a big help to people who find their way to this thread with the same problem.

Sent from my outdated Droid X

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571302

kayger12
04-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Great resource. Thanks.

Scorpius
04-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Great resource. Thanks.

also for your homemade injector cleaner ;-) btw...if you have kids you'll know where to get the syringe...for those that don't. well..your local drugstore. they give them out with kids medicine so you can squirt it down their throats. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aT4S1lIBAY&feature=related

Scorpius
04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
ok put in a new fuel filter today as well. so my injectors should stay clean. i shoulda made a video for both the injectors and the fuel filter but was pressed for time and couldnt find my charging cable for the video camera. ugh. but....pretty easy to do both.
I cut open the fuel filter and it's pretty much a paper type filter like the oil filter, just longer and about as round as a red bull can. man was the paper filter dirty (173k on my car, original filter) i could scrap off each filter leaf with a flathead screwdriver and come up with a brownish muck which i can only assume is dirt in the fuel. sad if you ask me since i've been pretty die hard on shell gas. i guess every gas station tank gets dirt in it eh?
anyhow...car starts right off the bat since cleaning the injectors and i could tell instantly on the pickup when i WOT it. I can even tell further difference once i changed out the fuel filter. Looking everywhere i found ZERO on when the fuel filter should be replaced (not in bentley manual) but from research it seems consensus is about every schedule II which is 60k miles. I'll be sure this is something i do religiously in the future now.

danewilson77
04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Very nice job. I would be interested in a pic orbtwo of that filter... If you happen upon the opportunity.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT