PDA

View Full Version : All clutch owners

gr330zhp
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
So I curious, all of you who drive cars with manual transmissions. When you are at a red light/stop or traffic, do you leave your car in gear with the clutch and brake held down? Or in neutral with foot on brake? I am curious as I heard leaving the clutch pressed in can affect the life of the clutch? Then again it may be false.

When I am at a light, I usually leave it in gear with the clutch in, occasionally I may throw it in neutral. In bumper to bumper traffic, say when I am visiting NY/NJ area or if I am in Boston, I usually throw it in neutral and when its time to go I put it in gear.

What about you?

kayger12
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Foot off clutch, car in neutral.

I believe keeping the clutch depressed leads to excessive wear.

Nomar06
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Same here....try to be off the clutch as much as possible. Sometimes not one the brakes either, lol.

I believe old down the clutch pedal creates wear on the throwout bearing.

wsmeyer
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Depends on the length of the light but usually in gear with clutch pedal depressed.

While this does put extra wear on the throw out bearing I don't consider this as atypical use so I would assume they took this into account in the requirements.

I've got 42K on my original clutch now and even though I would estimate 90% of my driving is stop-n-go city driving I still expect my throw out bearing to outlast my clutch disc.

William.

midlandtech
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Neutral foot off clutch

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieZHP
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Foot off the clutch and car in neutral, always.

Newjack
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
90% of the time it is in neutral with my foot off the clutch. The only exception is when I'm in balls traffic and have to keep scootching up a little bit.

M0nk3y
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
So I curious, all of you who drive cars with manual transmissions. When you are at a red light/stop or traffic, do you leave your car in gear with the clutch and brake held down? Or in neutral with foot on brake? I am curious as I heard leaving the clutch pressed in can affect the life of the clutch? Then again it may be false.

When I am at a light, I usually leave it in gear with the clutch in, occasionally I may throw it in neutral. In bumper to bumper traffic, say when I am visiting NY/NJ area or if I am in Boston, I usually throw it in neutral and when its time to go I put it in gear.

What about you?

Neutral.

I left it in gear on my e46, than read that you can throw out a bearing and I stopped

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Newjack
03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Neutral.

I left it in gear on my e46, than read that you can throw out a bearing and I stopped

I see what you did there.

danewilson77
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM

This.

johnnyrad
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I do both now that I think about it..I think I will try to keep in neutral tho moving forward.

danewilson77
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I do both now that I think about it..I think I will try to keep in neutral tho moving forward.

If it's in neutral...you won't move forward.

M0nk3y
03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I see what you did there.

Lol it was before this thread.

With my E86 its always been neutral

johnnyrad
03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
:) bad choice of words I suppose. How bout, in the future I shall try to not depress the clutch at complete stops.

If I'm on an incline, I hold the clutch in. If not then I usually coast the last 20 ft or so in neutral. Idk..twenty two years of bad habits driving a manual is hard to break.

BRGcoopahS
03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
pretty much always in neutral. even in traffic where im moving up 5 feet every 20 seconds I still usually have it in neutral.

Oli77
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Neutral foot off clutch. I am afraid PO did not do that and my throw out bearing is a little noisy sometimes.

brettbimmer
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Neutral! Just in case you missed that from just about everyone else above. :shifty

Newjack
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Neutral foot off clutch. I am afraid PO did not do that and my throw out bearing is a little noisy sometimes.

What does it sound like?

danewilson77
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
I try to stay neutral concerning questions of this nature.

gr330zhp
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
What does it sound like?

Pretty much a faint rattling when you let off the clutch completely

Well guys, looks like I am going to change it up, now that my clutch is new

kayger12
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
^Good decision. :chuck

Oli77
03-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, a rattle down below.

If I let go of the clutch slowly when I come to a full stop, it won't make the noise at all.

If I let go fast, I can hear it for sure especially when the oil is nice and warm (never does it cold).

nike001
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
When coming to a stop, I go from 2nd and throw it in neutral and coast to the light and then let it sit in neutral until I see the other light turn yellow or if I feel like my light is about to change

Pretty much a faint rattling when you let off the clutch completely

Well guys, looks like I am going to change it up, now that my clutch is new

Yep. My car sounds like a diesel at idle sometimes when I leave my clutch in at a light :(

When I reverse, it's rattlefest 2012 as well.. lol

Oli77
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't rattle in reverse. Your's doesn't go quiet if you raise your foot off the clutch really slowly ?

nike001
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't rattle in reverse. Your's doesn't go quiet if you raise your foot off the clutch really slowly ?

I can make it go away if I let off the clutch slower or rev the engine a bit more. My clutch has been acting funny lately though. It doesn't want to engage (but the clutch is fine when it's engaged) I just need to rev it more or the TOB rattles to high hell.

llll1l1ll
03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
I always sit in neutral at a light with the clutch out. I try to spend as little time as possible with the clutch pedal depressed. When I'm in traffic, I will literally put it in first and just manipulate the throttle to prevent having to disengage the clutch.

As far as TOBs are concerned, my E30 had the noisiest one ever. I would hit the clutch and it would emit this awful sound and you could feel the sound through your foot on the pedal. I got the clutch and TOB replaced and it still made the noise. ::shrug:: Also, at idle, it would sound like a bunch of marbles in a paint can because the gearbox had low oil. I added more oil to the gearbox, noise gone.

midlandtech
03-29-2012, 05:15 AM
I try to stay neutral concerning questions of this nature.

~Steve

Ryans323i
03-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Mmm, I didn't realize it mattered. I usually do the in gear thing unless it's a long light. I have a relatively new clutch, 30-40k miles on it. But I do think I have the rattle thing. You guys will have to listen to it when I'm at SIGFest.

From now on neutral.

But my next question is, should we just disengage the last gear we were in (whether it's 6th or 3nd) and use the brake to slow down, or still down shift to 1rst (ok really 2nd, I never down shift to 1rst unless I need to start going again at 5mph)?

nike001
03-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Depending on how fast I need to stop, I just normally rev-match downshifts to slow down. If I need to stop faster, I'll rev match to a lower gear to higher RPM's (like 4-5k) and then just brake from there.. and then disengage the clutch around 1,2000RPM in preparations to stop.

midlandtech
03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Depending on how fast I need to stop, I just normally rev-match downshifts to slow down. If I need to stop faster, I'll rev match to a lower gear to higher RPM's (like 4-5k) and then just brake from there.. and then disengage the clutch around 1,2000RPM in preparations to stop.

Note that if your not good at rev matching, and just drop a gear to decelerate you can also cause excess wear on the clutch.... I usually us mostly brakes and rev match every once and awhile.... Brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches

~Steve

webster
03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
i tend to leave the car in gear if i sense it's going to be a short light, or if i'm at the front of the intersection. i don't want the cars behind me to have to wait, even if it's a few secs, for me to engage gear and get going after a light turns green. i know when i'm in back, and the light turns green....if people don't get moving i get honking. if i'm in the back of a long line i will typically put it in neutral as i can gauge how long i have til i need to get moving once the light turns green.

when approaching a stop sign i tend to decelerate in 2nd and not use the brakes til i absolutely need to. no shifting into 1st until < 5mph

llll1l1ll
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Hahaha nothing sucks worse than the guy who holds up the light because his car won't go into gear.

Edit: That is me sometimes.

MrMaico
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Another good idea is to let off the brakes if possible while sitting at a light. Holding the pads against a hot rotor can leave pad deposits on the rotor causing brake pulsation. A lot of complaints of warped rotors are actually just pad deposits on them. Or let the car roll forward a bit every so often while sitting stopped so the pads aren't always at the same spot on the rotor. Gotta admit though, that I rarely remember to do it myself.

Motorcycle riders are taught to leave the bike in gear at a light in case you see someone coming up from behind that might not see you and have enough time to stop once they do. I was rear ended in my old BMW 2002 in a little town in Nebraska once and ever since then I keep a close eye on anything coming up from behind. I was almost able to crank the wheel and gas it and get out of his way but didn't quite make it. He just barely caught my right rear. It was some old chicken farmer with the license number of 1313. Oddly, that's now my house address.

Even though, I also leave it in neutral at a light.

Ryans323i
03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I always watch the rear view at a stop and when stopping. Very good advice.

johnrando
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Also, for my other manual cars, I never rest my hand on the shift knob while in neutral. Long time ago someone told me that.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

nike001
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Also, for my other manual cars, I never rest my hand on the shift knob while in neutral. Long time ago someone told me that.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

They say resting your hand on the knob wears your synchro's.. but you actually have to be putting a decent amount of pressure on your knob to wear them.

llll1l1ll
03-30-2012, 06:00 AM
That's what I figured. I think that if you shift into 3rd or 5th and keep your hand there with pressure pushing the shifter forward, that might wear them down. Simply resting your hand there is not going to do much. Despite that, I keep my hands free of the shifter when not shifting and instead place them on the wheel.

I also do not keep my foot on the brake when at a light - unless I'm on a hill. To prevent people from not realizing I'm stopped, I push the brake just enough to let the brake lights come on.

R0B
03-30-2012, 06:36 AM
neutral, just cause that is how my dad did it

BRGcoopahS
03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
They say resting your hand on the knob wears your synchro's.. but you actually have to be putting a decent amount of pressure on your knob to wear them.

whaaaaat? really?

I rest my hand on the shift knob all the time. often i slap the shifter around just out of boredom.

zhpnsnv
03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
whaaaaat? really?

I rest my hand on the shift knob all the time. often i slap the shifter around just out of boredom.

Me too. Started in middle school.

Had to. Sorry.

kayger12
03-30-2012, 07:21 AM
^ Well, if they're going to put it on a tee for you...

ryankokesh
03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
lol..............

antcamp
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I used to sit at lights with the clutch in til I had sciatic pain in my left leg. now neutral at all stop lights...its just easier

BRGcoopahS
04-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Me too. Started in middle school.

Had to. Sorry.

I knew that was going to happen the moment after I posted it.....

Newjack
04-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Another good idea is to let off the brakes if possible while sitting at a light. Holding the pads against a hot rotor can leave pad deposits on the rotor causing brake pulsation. A lot of complaints of warped rotors are actually just pad deposits on them. Or let the car roll forward a bit every so often while sitting stopped so the pads aren't always at the same spot on the rotor. Gotta admit though, that I rarely remember to do it myself.

Motorcycle riders are taught to leave the bike in gear at a light in case you see someone coming up from behind that might not see you and have enough time to stop once they do. I was rear ended in my old BMW 2002 in a little town in Nebraska once and ever since then I keep a close eye on anything coming up from behind. I was almost able to crank the wheel and gas it and get out of his way but didn't quite make it. He just barely caught my right rear. It was some old chicken farmer with the license number of 1313. Oddly, that's now my house address.

Even though, I also leave it in neutral at a light.

I usually let my foot off the brake when I'm stopped at a light and I know I won't roll away. My LED tails are crucially bright so I know people will see me. Good to know about the brake pad deposits.

V6 Revolution + TT

az3579
04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
If I know I'll be stopped for more than 5 seconds, I put it in neutral and off the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk