PDA

View Full Version : Need a beater...

SoarinZHP
03-31-2012, 12:59 PM
So... I've turned fanatic about the way the ZHP is treated by others... eating, shoes, dirt, slamming the door, touching the paint when it's dirty, parking away from everyone, etc. To the point I feel like I'm being a dick about it. It's either time to park it, sell it or get a beater. I dunno.

The concern comes from my 'not special' car becoming ordinary. Having a family of four sure is hard on it. Every time I turn around someone is putting their feet on the dash board, their shoes on the leather seats, trying to eat something or bring a drink on board. The car is 7 years old and has NO dings. Rock chips on the hood? Yes. No leather damage... It's in really good shape. I want to keep it that way. So...

Time to ponder...

midlandtech
03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
I know EXACTLY what u mean I feel like a dick every time I make sure my wife isn't eating, drinking or doing anything messy in the car the feet on the dash thing annoys the hell out of me too.... I've been think of doing a beater pickup so the cars stays nice

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettbimmer
03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Haha, you can always tell them that if they have their feet on the dash in the event of an accident, the airbag is going to turn them into a pretzel. Maybe that would be good inspiration for your passengers to keep their feet off the dash. Worked for me with a friend many moons ago in college.

midlandtech
03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
There has to be a polite way of telling them that it drives me insane

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyrad
03-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Just pick up a high mileage older e46. That way you still have the "feel" of a bmw to daily drve, you can mod it and wrench on it cause you already know the car, and if you or the kids spill something in it sure you will get a little cranky but it won't be the end of the world. There are tons of e46's out there between $6000-10k just screaming for some love.

SureShot434
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Just pick up a high mileage older e46. That way you still have the "feel" of a bmw to daily drve, you can mod it and wrench on it cause you already know the car, and if you or the kids spill something in it sure you will get a little cranky but it won't be the end of the world. There are tons of e46's out there between $6000-10k just screaming for some love.

True that...I'm looking at a 98 325i that is just sitting there at the body shop cause the owner hasn't finalized the repairs and given the go ahead for the mechanic to finish it. It's been sitting there for a year now and the owner of the shop goes out every week and starts it and drives it and puts fresh gas in it. I have told him i would take it off the guys hands, but he hasn't been able to get ahold of the guy that owns it. I'm about to just tell him to get a mechanics title on it. I hate just seeing it sit there not being driven or loved :(

kayger12
03-31-2012, 04:27 PM
My wife and kids don't know any different.

I was anal about my cars before the ZHP.

When they complain about how I am now, I tell them that they're lucky I even let them ride in it. :biggrin

quikryptonite
03-31-2012, 04:31 PM
When they complain about how I am now, I tell them that they're lucky I even let them ride in it. :biggrin

:mwah

johnnyrad
03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
My wife and kids don't know any different.

I was anal about my cars before the ZHP.

haha I know that feeling. If my kids are going for a ride in my ZHP I make them wash their hands before they get in, or else I'll have smudgy windows.

johnnyrad
03-31-2012, 04:48 PM
See now check this bad boy out... looks clean, low miles, manual, and for the win a touring e46, and looks dying to be snatched up. Of course assuming it checks out with a clean history and good test drive. You could probably get it for $8k or less. Chuck the kids in the back and Wally World here we come!!

http://www.bmwoftenafly.com/detail-2002-bmw-3_series-325it-used-8537561.html

kayger12
03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
haha I know that feeling. If my kids are going for a ride in my ZHP I make them wash their hands before they get in, or else I'll have smudgy windows.

Yeah, I told mine that if I find a fingerprint on the windows, I'll dust it and identify the offender who will be banned from the vehicle. :drevil

SoarinZHP
03-31-2012, 05:48 PM
when they complain about how i am now, i tell them that they're lucky i even let them ride in it.

awesome!!!!

zhp43867
04-01-2012, 06:45 AM
E30 318is. I average around 26-27, they are much more stout than the M20 E30 325s with the timing belt (M42 has a timing chain), they do need basic maintenance but nothing expensive, and they are so toss-able they're a helluva lot of fun to drive.

You can get into one for as low as $1k, you can get into a good one for $2-$2.5k, and you can get a pretty darn nice one for $3-$5k.

328ioc
04-01-2012, 07:56 AM
E30 318is. I average around 26-27, they are much more stout than the M20 E30 325s with the timing belt (M42 has a timing chain), they do need basic maintenance but nothing expensive, and they are so toss-able they're a helluva lot of fun to drive.

You can get into one for as low as $1k, you can get into a good one for $2-$2.5k, and you can get a pretty darn nice one for $3-$5k.

This would be my what what I would get too. Can you say Go Kart?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

zhp43867
04-01-2012, 11:03 AM
This would be my what what I would get too. Can you say Go Kart?

Yes!

When I get my own several car garage I'm going to find a 318is in the $2-$2.5k range I listed to strip to the frame, paint Technoviolet, rebuild and drive everywhere! Right now I just drive my dad's on occasion.

gr330zhp
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
My beater is a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T. It has helped the ZHP never see snow, but it has not been cheap, I will say that :facepalm

Hermes
04-01-2012, 06:23 PM

where can you find one of those cheap ones (or even just a parts car)? I need all the EFI stuff out of one for the 2002

johnrando
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I told mine that if I find a fingerprint on the windows, I'll dust it and identify the offender who will be banned from the vehicle. :drevil

Love it Keith. Yup, my wife and kids definitely know how I feel about my cars. My kids wouldn't even THINK of messing with my car, lol.

llll1l1ll
04-02-2012, 03:37 AM
You could get an old Subaru from the 80s or even an E30. Those two make okay beaters!

UdubBadger
04-02-2012, 05:04 AM
What kind of a budget do you have to work with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Bitches

Ryans323i
04-02-2012, 06:56 AM
What kind of a budget do you have to work with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Bitches

This is the best question.

I fully support the e46 Touring idea. I think that's going to be the best of both world for you.

328ioc
04-02-2012, 07:47 AM
This is the best question.

I fully support the e46 Touring idea. I think that's going to be the best of both world for you.

Touche, I never thought about a touring.

tripod06
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
WOW this thread is something that i have been looking for to open up about when it comes to this. I luckily have been fortunate enough to come into a beater car. 1999 Toyota Avalon. Rides like a cloud, nought to 60 in about 9-months, seating for Madison Square Garden, upgraded stereo with subwoofer (not being sarcastic about that one), and gas mileage that is comparable to an old Prius. Better to put the miles on that then the ZHP. Finally my ZHP is a garage queen :D

static667
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Try to find an E36 sedan. They are sweet cars.

UdubBadger
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
if you're gonna get a 2nd car why not let it fill a specific purpose? like an SUV or wagon for hauling or something GREAT on gas to save $. buying an e36 is almost the same thing as owning a zhp (not really but you know what I mean). Why not get something that fills all the wholes that a ZHP would have in functionality? :dunno

even an e46 wagon - basically same car. if you want a wagon get a subaru outback or audi so you can have AWD for winter.... something like that. it gives you something the ZHP wont.

Audi 0000
04-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Its nice to have another 'cool' car, but defeats the purpose of beater. Then you will have 2 cars to worry about. I love beaters. Its awesome to see new door dings and laugh at them. There are plenty of low mileage cars to be had for cheap. Good luck with your decision.

M3TA5IN
04-04-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm right there with you on wanting a beater. I want to do so many things to the e90 and keep it nice for a long time. Right now I've had the car since July and I've already put 30k on it. I feel like I'm only going to be able to enjoy it for a couple years. So I wanted a beater to drive back and fourth from work, not to mention better mpg, not that the e90 gets horrible mpg. I dunno though, I go back and fourth on this all the time. The other side is because I do have a long ride to work, I love the comfort and enjoying my drive with the BMW. This is a topic I stress myself out a out daily lol.

johnrando
04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
WOW this thread is something that i have been looking for to open up about when it comes to this. I luckily have been fortunate enough to come into a beater car. 1999 Toyota Avalon. Rides like a cloud, nought to 60 in about 9-months, seating for Madison Square Garden, upgraded stereo with subwoofer (not being sarcastic about that one), and gas mileage that is comparable to an old Prius. Better to put the miles on that then the ZHP. Finally my ZHP is a garage queen :D

You serious? Your DD is now a Toyota Avalon Albert?

tripod06
04-04-2012, 07:58 AM
You serious? Your DD is now a Toyota Avalon Albert?

Yeah haha. its actually pretty cool. Because it gives me the sense that my Bimmer is special (even though it isn't).

Hermes
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
^ when are you buying the trunk spoiler for max ricerness? (I can't find a pic of an Avalon with the huge wing)

http://www.bodykits.net/images/bodykits_net/171891/00.jpg

Chad44
04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Avalon's are pimp... One of my old clients had sunk about $30k into the sound system in his, and from the outside it was an unassuming, stock looking Avalon.
7.2 surround sound biotch!

Sent from Tapatalk

Hermes
04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I've honestly began to give real thought into buying a beater. I'm thinking probably E30 or E36 but I just found this on cl...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Le5Gd5M43Kc3Mb3H8c43253939144543195d.jpg

1986 L7

Washburn
04-12-2012, 08:22 PM
If I was looking for a beater, I would get a Subaru Outback (previous generation) or an Outback sport / Baja or a prev. gen. Legacy. Forrester can be nice too.
Pretty dependable, and AWD standard for bad weather! They can be quick-ish, too, and are pretty fun to drive compared to Honda/Toyota.
Mazda 3 Hatch is also pretty good, but Subaru's standard and great AwD makes it the best beater brand to find, IMO