PDA

View Full Version : FCAB time!!

Rovert
04-02-2012, 02:03 AM
:help

I need to get new front control arm bushings as mine only lasted 2.5 years of below average milage driving.

I hear people saying PowerFlex? I also hear Meyle. I hear OEM is crappy and longevity is not good. I heard PowerFlex would last much longer than OEM. Is it an easy fix taking off FCABs with the housing and replacing it with Powerflex pre pressed into housing?

Any advice on which brand I should get would be great too. What the advantages/disadvantages each one have would be awesome! Thanks!

midlandtech
04-02-2012, 04:20 AM
I can't speak to brands as I replaced with OEM but install is very straight forward just make sure you have a puller... It will make your life so much easier

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
04-02-2012, 05:59 AM
I have Meyle HDs on right now. It's been six months and they are still good!

kayger12
04-02-2012, 06:29 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901

I've used Meyle HD on two e46s now including the ZHP.

Very happy with Meyle.

Close to stock ride quality with much improved longevity.

Sent from my outdated Droid X

Nomar06
04-02-2012, 06:36 AM
I went with the AKG FCABS after talking to a BMW buddy of mine. I sprung for the bushings being pressed in already which made things way easier. Hardest part about the "job" is removing the stock FCAB. I ended up cutting up the stock ones to rip out the metal housing then using a set of plyers to grab the remaining part of the bushing that was left on the control arm. Twisted the bushing that laef left on the control arm back and forth, eventually it came off.

Def way better now but then again I bought the car with the bad FCABS.

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
The PF's were too harsh for me......I roll Meyle's. May try something diff this time.

Rovert
04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Has anyone had any longterm with Meyle's from installation to failure? Are OEMs supposed to die after 2.5 years of street use??

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
2.5 years = how many miles?

I think Meyle HD's are go for at least 60k miles....

Rovert
04-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I probably put on 12-15K/year. That seems to go so fast!

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
OK.....so.....they wore out after 30k-37.5k miles. Probably a lil pre-mature. How are the roads?

Rovert
04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Roads are good here! We don't get a lot of huge potholes because the temps haven't done any crazy freezing/thawing over the past couple years. I think I want to try PowerFlex bushings over Meyle. Are there any affiliates here that can supply them?

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Roads are good here! We don't get a lot of huge potholes because the temps haven't done any crazy freezing/thawing over the past couple years. I think I want to try PowerFlex bushings over Meyle. Are there any affiliates here that can supply them?

Doubt it. If you find the P/N... You can try to plug into Amazon or AutohausAZ though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
04-02-2012, 01:09 PM
i just did mine. went with Meyle HD for best compromise of price and performance between OEM and PFlex/AKG

Rovert
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
So far I found them here: http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Performance_Suspension_Powerflex_E46.html

I've used them in the past before.

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Check Bimmerworld as well.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Rovert
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Gonna order from them! :) They have that and a Hella oil level sender for a hundred bucks that I need since my amber oil light doesn't come on anymore when a quart low. That's the right part right?

danewilson77
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Gonna order from them! :) They have that and a Hella oil level sender for a hundred bucks that I need since my amber oil light doesn't come on anymore when a quart low. That's the right part right?

Bimmerworld?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryrules1
05-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Just did mine last month went with Meyle HD's unbelievable improvement in ride quality. From what I have read Meyle HD's seem to be the best for performance/longevity. Powerflex bushings seem like overkill for street use and will probably negativity impact ride quality, but I cant speak definitely just the perception I've gathered.

Rovert
05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Well I changed mine to PowerFlex and they aren't that bad. I thought it would be worse but it's not bad when you're on public streets that have minor or moderate irregularities. Anything with sharp drop offs will be met with more of a "bang" when the front tires roll over them but that's rare. I'm happy with the little bit of extra harshness as I love being able to feel what I'm driving over compared to driving a Chrysler 300 where it's like driving on a cloud.

What's cool about the Powerflex models are that they have a bushing within a bushing. The FCABs were designed as a weak point of the E46 suspension. They have to handle up and down, side to side movement as well as twisting. It's the twisting of the rubber bushing that tears the bushings apart in a short period of time that makes them fail most of the time. Powerflex's bushing in a bushing is designed to handle the twisting which just slides effortlessly against the larger part of the bushing. The whole system is then able to handle all the tension in a more easier way without stressing any part. Now I'm hoping it'll last much longer than an OEM designed bushing.

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 09:16 PM
As far as I'm concerned, PowerFlex products are shit. At least their subframe bushings don't fit properly, and their FCABs have been know to fail prematurely.

AKG makes the best Poly mounts and bushings on the market right now.

Rovert
05-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I guess everyone has their strong opinions of products. I've never heard of AKG...I would have looked into it if I had known. Oh well let's see how these Powerflex work. My more heavy duty than OEM FCABs lasted me under 2 years under normal driving...that seems premature to me....

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Wasn't bashing your decision, Trev.

I had been super interested in their products a while ago, but the more I researched them, I found a lot of complaints about subframe bushings and FCABs. Even their redesigned Subframe mounts lacked the proper fitment.

AKG has a really strong following with the e30/36 crowd.

Here's the page: http://www.akgmotorsport.com/

kayger12
05-27-2012, 03:42 AM
I've never heard of AKG...I would have looked into it if I had known. Oh well let's see how these Powerflex work. My more heavy duty than OEM FCABs lasted me under 2 years under normal driving...that seems premature to me....

Nomar mentioned the AKGs earlier in this thread.

What brand did you have in that failed?

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

Rovert
05-27-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure...when I was at my friend's shop he said he'd order ones that costed just a tad more than OEM but more "heavy duty".......HD my ass...LOL

kayger12
05-27-2012, 11:37 AM
^Yeah, seems like they were just as bad as the Lemforders as far as longevity.

Keep us in the loop on the Pflex.

Rovert
05-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I will do! Thanks!