PDA

View Full Version : Loose And Wobbly Windows

mLuMaN83
04-03-2012, 07:58 PM
So my windows are definitely loose. This is obvious when you close the door. All kinds of noise! My passenger side also rattles when going over bumps or bumpy roads. The drivers side window also has a fit. Sometimes when driving on the highway, once rolled down then back up, doesnt seat back correctly and I get wind noise but if I stop and roll it up, it seems to go into place but still, it doesnt seem to be secured very well. Loose.

Here is the thing. I'm pretty sure the regulators are wore out. They are making crackling noises when I roll them up and down. Would the loose windows be because of wore out regulators?

Now this zip tie thing... will this fix the loose wobbly window? I have looked at the diy's and I am not quite sure what I am looking at because I cant see the parts for myself or understand how they work... Or do I need to replace both regulators?

This all makes me feel like I'm driving a piece of crap when I hear all the racket when going over bumps and whatnot.

Go Horns!
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
When you do the zip tie fix there are bolts you need to loosen, but not remove, to separate the window from the regulator. My guess is that the regulator has caused vibrations that pre-loosened the bolt for you. Set aside a few hours and use this DIY: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1388-BMW-E46-window-regulator-zip-tie-fix The first window took me three hours because I removed the bolt. The second window took and hour and a half. I spent an extra hour trying to reattached the bolt/nut combo.

When you have the door apart, you can see what is up with the windows. FYI-Sometimes the regulators are so far gone the zip tie fix will not work, so you might just need new regulators anyways. I ordered $60 generics because the OEM part is a piece of crap. I then did the zip tie fix to the new regulators in the hope that it extends the life.

danewilson77
04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Additionally.....if you removed the regulator.....check the 3(4?) nuts used to fasten regulator to door.

mLuMaN83
04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Hmmm..

Maybe since I have them all apart I should just replace the regs along with the zip tie mod. I opened them up once before and tightened a few bolts on the door but they were all pretty tight and didnt resolve any issue.

telijah
04-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Who makes the OE regulators? My left-rear just went kablooey and rockauto.com has a ton of options, ranging from 26 bucks all the way to 156 bucks!?

Edit: Interesting, the $26 one from RockAuto looks exactly like the one ECS says is BMW OEM. I am going to order it to give it a shot, only 26 bucks, worth a shot.

mLuMaN83
04-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Nice lookin out telijah! Gonna check that out when I get into this project.