PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on start up

static667
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Recently I have been getting a bit of smoke from my exhaust on start up. It really seems to happen after it sits for about two hours after driving. If its a short trip or it has sat for more than four hours, it doesn't happen. But when it has been driven and sits for a short while, I get a pretty good cloud of smoke.

To me, it doesn't smell like burning oil, but I could be completely wrong. I'm not losing any coolant and my temp has never gone above 12:00, that I know of. I'm still losing oil, even after replacing my oil filter housing gasket. I'm now assuming that the oil loss is from an old, leaking oil separator, as there is plenty of oil on that side of my engine block around it.

I'm seriously hoping that my problem isn't something major like a head gasket or worn out piston rings. Could this be caused by a bad VCG? Or is there something bigger and more expensive behind my problem?

Newjack
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Could be a slow leak on the back of the VCG. Heat = oil gets thinner after driving for a while + leaking VCG = oil burning on the backside. :dunno

static667
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm hoping its as simple as that. Anybody else?

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

static667
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Bump.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I wanna say that you'd be getting smoke from the engine bay as well if it were the vcg. Like, after you'd been driving it a bit. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the word though, so yeah...

Is it immediately after start up? Maybe if you snag a video of it somebody would be better able to diagnose...?

zj96sc
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Oil on startup is usually valve stem seals, but id be surprised if that's your problem.

static667
04-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I'll try to grab a video of it happening tomorrow.

brettbimmer
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Kyle, how many miles on your car/engine? Also, how many miles between oil changes on average? Not saying I have the answers here, but the above info would be helpful.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mr Paul
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Recently I have been getting a bit of smoke from my exhaust on start up. It really seems to happen after it sits for about two hours after driving. If its a short trip or it has sat for more than four hours, it doesn't happen. But when it has been driven and sits for a short while, I get a pretty good cloud of smoke.

To me, it doesn't smell like burning oil, but I could be completely wrong. I'm not losing any coolant and my temp has never gone above 12:00, that I know of. I'm still losing oil, even after replacing my oil filter housing gasket. I'm now assuming that the oil loss is from an old, leaking oil separator, as there is plenty of oil on that side of my engine block around it.

I'm seriously hoping that my problem isn't something major like a head gasket or worn out piston rings. Could this be caused by a bad VCG? Or is there something bigger and more expensive behind my problem?

How about the valve cover is leaking into the spark plug wells, down around the threads of the plug and into the cylinder. Not sure how this would account for no smoke after 4 hours though. But you could check easily enough by peering down into each of the spark plug wells.

MBZHP05
04-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I would definitely lean towards the oil separator. If its already leaking and you have noticed an increase in oil consumption, the separator could have an internal problem which could also be the reason why its leaking externally. If the internal valve is not fully closing after the engine is shut down, oil that naturally flows back to the separator can get pulled into the intake at start-up. If your only seeing smoke from the exhaust just on intial start up and not after idling or while accelerating from a stop, I think the oil separator is the culprit.

static667
04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I would definitely lean towards the oil separator. If its already leaking and you have noticed an increase in oil consumption, the separator could have an internal problem which could also be the reason why its leaking externally. If the internal valve is not fully closing after the engine is shut down, oil that naturally flows back to the separator can get pulled into the intake at start-up. If your only seeing smoke from the exhaust just on intial start up and not after idling or while accelerating from a stop, I think the oil separator is the culprit.

Thanks, man, that is good info. I just ordered an oil separator today. I'll be installing that next Sunday, weather permitting.

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.