PDA

View Full Version : Door seal and fuel smell

Pip
04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Rained last night and I'm looking at this:

Driving with sun roof tilted up or windows down I smell fuel. Most recent maintenance - spark plugs & cleaned MAF. With windows up I smell nothing. I have removed the rear seat to look at the seal for the fuel pump I think. Not sure why it only happens with sun roof tilt or windows down.

Edits below:
Here is a link that I'll use for trying to narrow down the fuel smell: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571302

I checked beneath the rear seat - passenger side for the fuel pump o-ring, but no obvious fuel or leak so I think that is ok. I'll be able to poke around in a week after I get done traveling.

Vapor barrier was the root cause of the water on the foot well. It eventually rained hard enough and long enough to make it inside to the floor boards. I was able to do a quick fix, but need to seal the vapor barriers in the coming weeks before we get more rain.

llll1l1ll
04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Just thinking outside the box, but perhaps with the open ventilation the suction pulls fuel vapors/smell from the engine bay? I've read the o-rings on the injectors can go bad kinda quickly with these cars. It was in a recent thread.

Otherwise, you might have a leak in a hose near your fuel pump.

derbo
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
most likely your vapor barrier has been broken. Its the black foam piece inside your door panel.

Pip
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Just thinking outside the box, but perhaps with the open ventilation the suction pulls fuel vapors/smell from the engine bay? I've read the o-rings on the injectors can go bad kinda quickly with these cars. It was in a recent thread.

Otherwise, you might have a leak in a hose near your fuel pump.

most likely your vapor barrier has been broken. Its the black foam piece inside your door panel.

Thanks guys. I'll start tinkering later today/this weekend and see what I can find/do.

Pip
04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Now that I think about it I bet this happened when I did my front door regulators. Wasn't planing on taking the doors apart again, but at least it should only take a couple minutes now that I know what I'm doing.

llll1l1ll
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah that seal is definitely shot. It's an easy fix, though.

derbo
04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
make sure you seal that stuff fully! I would remove all the seal and redo it.

Pip
04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm convinced a leaky vapor barrier is probably one of the worst things to find when CA hasn't had any rain and then the past couple days have just poured. I've had towels soaking up the water before they get to the floor boards of the car. Now to seal the barriers while it is sunny out! I brought all my tools to SF so I can attempt it in the hotel parking lot if there is room :) I would take my time normally but I'm living outta hotels until next Monday when it is suppose to rain again. /end rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk