PDA

View Full Version : New windshield.....Yes or No?

MrMaico
04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I have been debating replacing my pitted windshield but I worry about breaking that factory seal and having issues down the road with leaks or wind noise and just can't make up my mind.

A new one is only about $250 and I was quoted $15 shipping from Husker BMW. This is the one with the rain sensor already installed. Can anyone confirm they DO come from BMW with the sensor already installed. I've read of too many issues with rain sensors after moving them from one w/s to the next. I've also saw mention of recalibrating the sensor after installing a new w/s. Anyone had to do that?

There is no one local with BMW glass experience but I know a guy at a local shop who has been doing it for years and he said it shouldn't be a problem. His only concern was about the rain sensor but if they come with a new one installed it should be ok.

The pitting only really bothers me when the sun is low in the sky otherwise I don't really notice it. I'm sure if it was new though I would notice it more. There is also one tiny 1/4" crack way up in the left corner but that hasn't moved since I bought the car. I had it "fixed" but you still see it when the sun hits it right.

Am I worrying needlessly? Should I go for it? My deductible is $500 so insurance won't be involved.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Comments anyone?

Thanks....Barry

zhp43867
04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I got the windshield replaced on my sedan and I don't have any more noise than I did before, it's great to be able to see clearly! I'll probably do it soon on my coupe.

carsontl
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Do you have comprehensive? Doesn't that cover windshield?

PKR
04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Not sure about this but a friend told me that he tells his insurance that the windshield was damaged while parked (say,at the mall) and that he gets a new one ... no problem, no charge. Apparently the problems arise if you're driving while it happens. Again, not sure about this - haven't tried it myself.

derbo
04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
That isn't a factory windshield is it?? My factory windshield was close to $440...

MrMaico
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I got the windshield replaced on my sedan and I don't have any more noise than I did before, it's great to be able to see clearly! I'll probably do it soon on my coupe.

Thanks, I think it was in the TIS where I read about issues with wind noise if not positioned correctly. I've also read posts from people mentioning more noise after w/s replacement. I suppose they would just have to be careful to have the same gaps before and after, side to side and top to bottom. I notice my current w/s, assuming it's the original, isn't perfectly centered side to side. Close but not perfect.

Do you have comprehensive? Doesn't that cover windshield?

Yes, and I rechecked, the deductible is $250 rather than $500. Might have to check with my agent and see about claiming it under comp.

Not sure about this but a friend told me that he tells his insurance that the windshield was damaged while parked (say,at the mall) and that he gets a new one ... no problem, no charge. Apparently the problems arise if you're driving while it happens. Again, not sure about this - haven't tried it myself.

But I'd need a damaged w/s for that to work. :-)

That isn't a factory windshield is it?? My factory windshield was close to $440...

It's listed under part #51317059702. They are a BMW dealer and everything else I've gotten from them is BMW Original Parts so I would hope their glass is OE also, maybe better check to be sure first. It's $360 at Tischer and $314 at ECS. Husker is usually cheaper than the other two and now and then there is something that is quite a bit cheaper......like windshields. :-)

SoarinZHP
04-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I had a windshield replaced on my 325... It had a chip in it and I was driving home in the cold and had the defroster going full blast because the precipitation was freezing to the windshield as I was driving. Next thing I no a crack ran the entire length of the windshield. I didn't know what happened... Anyhoo - if you have chips, get it sealed or get a new one. My ZHP windshield says Pilkington on it. The guy that replaced my put a Pilkington on my 325 and I didn't know it was OEM... No problems what so ever.

I also found going indie with someone your favorite body shop outsources to is a good route... Got mine cheaper than the deductible.. But the 325 didn't have the rain sensor...

Good Luck!

derbo
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Must be nice! Under BMW NA website for parts.

Pricing Information
Sugg Retail: 449.84 USD

for Green windscrn,gr.shade band+rain sensor 51 31 7 059 702

That sure is super cheap for the windshield! I would get it in a heartbeat if it bothers you enough. If it doesn't I wouldn't worry about until a larger windshield comes around.

UdubBadger
04-15-2012, 04:10 PM
i need one too. safelite said they give good discounts on full windshield replacements to State Farm customers

ryankokesh
04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
i need one too. safelite said they give good discounts on full windshield replacements to State Farm customers

Me too... :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imola red zhp
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
+1 need one too.

sent from dennis' personal electronic device

das boots
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
You just reminded me on this thread to file a claim with my insurer. 5er ran over something on the freeway the other day on pouring rain and knocked the bumper out of alignment and some road debris hit the windshield and knocked off a big chip. I told them that I want a OE windshield replacement....and no aftermarket. Have to wait for the call from adjuster. But will probably take care of this after my return in two weeks.

danewilson77
04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Just remember... Safelite uses recycled non oem (not Pilkington) glass.

Got mine replaced through Windshield Guru w/ Pilkington glass for around $350.00.

Sent from SIGFest-2012, USA on HTC via TTv2

SoarinZHP
04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
My insurance company referred me to safelite. What a crock. Their prices are ridiculous and they're telling you your getting some kind of screaming deal? LIARS!

UdubBadger
04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
can we get a group buy?

mLuMaN83
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
To add here, I need one too. I have A LOT of scratches on it from the wipers. A girl owned the car before me. Nothing like turing on the wiper to clear the glass without fluid. Looks like the OP did this many times. I think my car lived on a dirt road perhaps.

My rain sensor does not work either. I just get constant wiping when sensor is engaged. You think the scratches could cause the rain sensor to act up?

Maybe somebody came in the middle of the night and hit my windshield with a hammer?

:shift

Jk

Or am I.. :shift

carsontl
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Group buy! Whee

zhp43867
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
To add here, I need one too. I have A LOT of scratches on it from the wipers. A girl owned the car before me. Nothing like turing on the wiper to clear the glass without fluid. Looks like the OP did this many times. I think my car lived on a dirt road perhaps.

My rain sensor does not work either. I just get constant wiping when sensor is engaged. You think the scratches could cause the rain sensor to act up?

Maybe somebody came in the middle of the night and hit my windshield with a hammer?

:shift

Jk

Or am I.. :shift

That can be buffed off with Cerium Oxide, a Porter Cable 7424 or other D/A polisher and a Lake Country white pad. No replacement necessary. Another option is Bon Ami cleaning powder- original formula ONLY, IIRC. Google it.

Also I recall many BMW owners being unhappy with Safelite, so I'd stay away.

cakM3
04-17-2012, 04:27 AM
If you can find a reputable shop to replace the windshield (not Safelite) and they will use OEM glass, then I say do it. Derek also posted another alternative (see above post) if your glass is not pitted way too bad. :thumbsup

carsontl
04-17-2012, 04:35 AM
If you can find a reputable shop to replace the windshield (not Safelite) and they will use OEM glass, then I say do it. Derek also posted another alternative (see above post) if your glass is not pitted way too bad. :thumbsup

My thinking is this: If the OEM glass chips easily then shouldn't we get something else? Dunno..

danewilson77
04-17-2012, 05:08 AM
My thinking is this: If the OEM glass chips easily then shouldn't we get something else? Dunno..

I think aftermarket is worse. Truth is... If you do your car, an appreciable distance each day, in traffic... The windows is going chip.

M3TA5IN
04-17-2012, 05:47 AM
If anyone is in the Baltimore county area or willing. I can get good prices on glass, it's not going to be factory though.

carsontl
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I think aftermarket is worse. Truth is... If you do your car, an appreciable distance each day, in traffic... The windows is going chip.

Yeah that's my "on the other hand" haha... only way to not get chips is to not drive the thing... and these cars were meant to be driven!