PDA

View Full Version : Beisan VANOS Seals - Brand New

fauchpj
05-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Got these last week but I'm going to go the drvanos route.

They are $60 plus $5 shipping from Beisan.

I will let them go for $60 shipped - saves you 5 bucks.

http://i45.tinypic.com/rup8n9.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ag9sls.jpg

johnrando
05-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Curious why you decided to go Dr V.?

danewilson77
05-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Curious why you decided to go Dr V.?

I bet he didn't want to....or did not have time to do work on vanos unit?

fauchpj
05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Bingo. I would rather swap out the parts for peace of mind. Dr. Vanos also includes new bearings.

NorCalZman
05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
for my own education for the day when (not if apparently) I need VANOS work: Beisan seals for a specific problem that might pop up, but its just the seals you replace for it. Dr. Vanos is a whole rebuild, bearings, seals, etc but upgraded and for cars that have the bad rattle problem. do I have it right? :)

Hermes
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Both kits do the same thing, Beisan sells you the parts to fix yours (the rattle kit is a separate item), Dr Vanos sells you a whole VANOS. Beisan uses upgraded seals, Dr Vanos does not.

danewilson77
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Both kits do the same thing, Beisan sells you the parts to fix yours (the rattle kit is a separate item), Dr Vanos sells you a whole VANOS. Beisan uses upgraded seals, Dr Vanos does not.

I think Dr. Vanos does use upgraded seals.

fauchpj
05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I think Dr. Vanos does use upgraded seals.

They do.

From their site:
Each dual vanos is fully rebuilt using modified bearings along with high-performance Viton O-rings and Teflon seals that will not only eliminate the vanos rattle, but also restore lost power due to worn out internals. Our vanos units will stand up to more abuse than the stock units, and will last the life of the car.

danewilson77
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
They do.

From their site:
Each dual vanos is fully rebuilt using modified bearings along with high-performance Viton O-rings and Teflon seals that will not only eliminate the vanos rattle, but also restore lost power due to worn out internals. Our vanos units will stand up to more abuse than the stock units, and will last the life of the car.

What's funny is that, in my experience.....the O-rings, nor the teflon seals(?) are what cause the rattle. It's the oversized spacers.

fauchpj
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
What's funny is that, in my experience.....the O-rings, nor the teflon seals(?) are what cause the rattle. It's the oversized spacers.

I thought it was the bearings that cause the rattle.
Unless that is what you are referring to as spacers.

danewilson77
05-03-2012, 10:30 AM
No. There are pin bearings and spacers.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/image018.jpg

NorCalZman
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
but will the Dr. Vanos unit do what is advertised and permanantely stop the rattle? He can say the metal was treated with unicorn farts as long as the end result is the same (fixed and better than OE quality) :)

johnrando
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
but will the Dr. Vanos unit do what is advertised and permanantely stop the rattle? He can say the metal was treated with unicorn farts as long as the end result is the same (fixed and better than OE quality) :)

:rofl. I've always wondered the same... does it actually have what's needed to not have the rattle?

kayger12
05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes. The Dr. Vanos has the new bearing spacers that will eliminate the rattle.

Beisan provides you with the correct spacers that you install yourself.

zj96sc
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I directly asked Dr. Vanos what differentiated their end product from an oem vanos rebuilt with seals and bearing spacers and they basically said they clean the vanos. put the direct quote in my projects thread.

Both methods accomplish the same thing - fresh seals for accurate cam control (returns lost power) and slightly thinner bearing cups (to eliminate the rattle). With Dr vanos you just pay for their labor.

I waffled between the two but ultimately did beisan and am extremely glad i did - very doable and honestly a quite enjoyable (if oily) diy...and obviously much mo cheepa.

danewilson77
05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I directly asked Dr. Vanos what differentiated their end product from an oem vanos rebuilt with seals and bearing spacers and they basically said they clean the vanos. put the direct quote in my projects thread.

Both methods accomplish the same thing - fresh seals for accurate cam control (returns lost power) and slightly thinner bearing cups (to eliminate the rattle). With Dr vanos you just pay for their labor.

I waffled between the two but ultimately did beisan and am extremely glad i did - very doable and honestly a quite enjoyable (if oily) diy...and obviously much mo cheepa.

+ 1

Thanks zj

Sent from SIGFest 2012