PDA

View Full Version : Chipped/Cracked Glass

Newjack
05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
So when I removed my rear view mirror the other day I noticed that I had a very small rock chip on my windshield, along with a very small crack line. Rock chip is maybe 3/4 the size of a BB and the crack line is about the diameter of a dime. I'd rather not ignore this and end up needing a new windshield, but I'm curious to see what everyone suggests.

I checked safelite and got an online quote for $125 which seems outrageously high.

There are a bunch of kits that you can purchase that seem to work fairly well for about $20 or so.

Thoughts?

Johnmadd
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I've used the kits before, they work well.

M3TA5IN
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
That is really high!

I've never seen the kits but I use to do this for safelite back in the day, if you want I can look at it next week for you. I'll be down your way.

Actually, let me make a phone call, we might be able to knock this out for free...

danewilson77
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
My insurance company fixed my stars (on my last windshield) for free.

I have USAA. They did it in my garage.

johnrando
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
+1 with USAA, but most companies would rather fix something small and cheap and do it for you for free vs. a whole windshield with an insurance claim, check your insurance.

Newjack
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
That is really high!

I've never seen the kits but I use to do this for safelite back in the day, if you want I can look at it next week for you. I'll be down your way.

Actually, let me make a phone call, we might be able to knock this out for free...

Noted. Thanks Cody!

I have State Farm insurance. I'm hesitant to ask my insurance company to fix anything. I feel like they will say it is free until I have to pay my premium.

Either way, its a small chip. I'll call them when I get a chance and see what's up with that.

M3TA5IN
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
No problem man, they are going to get back to me tomorrow and let me know if I can borrow it when I come down that way.

johnrando
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Noted. Thanks Cody!

I have State Farm insurance. I'm hesitant to ask my insurance company to fix anything. I feel like they will say it is free until I have to pay my premium.

Either way, its a small chip. I'll call them when I get a chance and see what's up with that.

Understand, but they really don't want a full windshield replace as a claim, so they won't ding you (no pun intended) down the road. They want the cheap fix.

WOLFN8TR
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
If you have a small chip get it fixed. I had a small chip in my windshield on my truck for two years. It was down low under the wiper blades, so no big deal. I came out yesterday and there is this 1 foot crack running straight up the dam windshield. Son of a B!