PDA

View Full Version : 1st week of ownership - fixing up minor niggles

KevinC
05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I've had my ZHP a week now and I'm shaking out all the little crap that I want to fix. My A-pillar fabric covering is shot at the windshield side, something I knew in advance. I've got a pair of new pillar covers on order. My sidemarkers are both full of moisture and neither works. New set of OEM's on the way. Last night I noticed my rearview mirror is FUBAR, the infamous fluid gone or otherwise leaving a horizontal line in the mirror and it doesn't work. I sourced a replacement mirror on Ebay that also adds Homelink, that's on the way too. I can get the existing one fixed for $99 at radar-mirror.com and resell it, or sell it as-is on Ebay and get some of the money back on the new one. I had already ordered the Homelink module that goes in the roof panel, I'll now sell it as well. My existing mirror has BMW Assist and the replacement does as well, so everything should be 100% functional as original.

Next nagging issue is the volume-on/off button on my non-nav head unit is toast. Turns all sloppy and won't turn on/off. Not sure if I'll send it in for repair, or just source a used one off Ebay. If there's some magic bullet for fixing this easily, I'd love to hear about it.

Cocomats arrived Friday, and major paint correction/detail scheduled for the coming weekend. New pics to follow.

All in all, loving the ZHP experience, she's a perfect complement to my M Coupe.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/images/smilies/worshipbmw.gif

llll1l1ll
05-14-2012, 03:26 AM
My radio knob has the same problem. To turn it off, I just switch the radio to AUX and turn the volume down.

zhp43867
05-14-2012, 05:23 AM
My dad had the same issue with the volume knob on his E46 and knows exactly how to fix it. I'll try to have him post here, or otherwise I'll figure out how he fixed it and write it up here!

ryankokesh
05-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Great to get all those little things fixed up. Hope you're enjoying the car! :)

Say, how much are you asking for that home link module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
05-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Damn Ryan, you beat me to it.

If you dont pick it up let me know.

SureShot434
05-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Great to get all those little things fixed up. Hope you're enjoying the car! :)

Say, how much are you asking for that home link module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gah Ryan lol oh you....

I was gonna ask too hahahah

sum1orotha
05-14-2012, 07:05 AM
+1 on Fixing the Power/Volume knob on the radio.

Mine still works, but I have to press down really hard to turn it on/off, and using it to control the volume gives almost no feedback, just feels like I'm spinning it arbitrarily although it does control the volume still.

ryankokesh
05-14-2012, 07:07 AM
:mwah

derbo
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
inside the radio unit, the knob is held on by one silly tiny screw on a L bracket that is made of plastic. When this L bracket bends, the angle of the knob changes and its hard to turn the volume up and down. Also when the L bracket ultimately breaks off, you can't turn off the radio very well since that's the point where it resists your push to turn off the radio. :(

I don't know any solution to fixing it besides taking apart the radio to get that L bracket reinforced but maybe someone else here has done it.

Oli77
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, the knob fix is a very simple DIY.

Take radio out and open it up. I reenforced the area with a small piece of balsa wood and some hot glue. Been working great for over 2 years now.

webster
05-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes, the knob fix is a very simple DIY.

Take radio out and open it up. I reenforced the area with a small piece of balsa wood and some hot glue. Been working great for over 2 years now.

FTW

KevinC
05-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Couple of other questions - I've ordered new A-pillar covers and the little thin inserts for the centers. How easy is the swap? I know about removing the centers and the torx (?) screws to get the things off, but are there clips involved and is it possible to remove them without breaking them? Should I disconnect the battery to avoid possible airbag deployment, or is that not necessary?

My sun visors are in good shape, but the stupid warning stickers on them are shriveling up. Can I remove them safely with something like GoofOff, without damaging the felty-like covering material?

I live the car tomorrow with my paint correction wizard while I'm out of town. Should be a stunner when I get back. :)

HokieZHP
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I just did mine today. It's very easy, no clips on the A-pillar covers, just the 3 torx screws and you pull it off.

derbo
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Couple of other questions - I've ordered new A-pillar covers and the little thin inserts for the centers. How easy is the swap? I know about removing the centers and the torx (?) screws to get the things off, but are there clips involved and is it possible to remove them without breaking them? Should I disconnect the battery to avoid possible airbag deployment, or is that not necessary?

My sun visors are in good shape, but the stupid warning stickers on them are shriveling up. Can I remove them safely with something like GoofOff, without damaging the felty-like covering material?

I live the car tomorrow with my paint correction wizard while I'm out of town. Should be a stunner when I get back. :)

I peeled off the airbag stickers with my nail. It is now all black :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oli77
05-17-2012, 05:01 AM
I didn't disconnect the battery when I did my A pillars (twice).

Cover the round part of you socket ranch with a bandaid before you scratch your windshield when removing the Torx screws.

KevinC
05-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Great advice everyone, thanks!

KevinC
05-21-2012, 10:13 PM
So.. car is now detailed in and out, new ZHP knob today, and I have the replacement A-pillar covers. I just pulled the passenger side and when trying to slide the replacement into place, I was having a hard time getting it to sit down into the corner of the dash just right, and didn't have a lot of light, so I'll finish up tomorrow. Any secrets in lining that puppy up and having it fall into its proper location?

Oli77
05-22-2012, 05:55 AM
You have to "tuck" that corner in pretty far.