PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Boot

das boots
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
I am trying to locate the piece from RealOEM the lower rubber boot that is connected to the upper Rubber Boot item # 3 P/N 13541438761 to the AFM. Please confirm if it is the Tube Elbow item #6 P/N 13541438759? Drawing does not do it justice to the real thing......Thanks.

Nivo
05-16-2012, 10:31 AM
#6 is the one that goes to the throttle body and has the little extension that rips over time.

das boots
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I agree...that boots rips if not careful during removal. Rubber deteriorates especially being so close to the engine from heat and petroleum products. The AFM boot has it on a better position from deterioting as fast as the elbow boot. I need to have one on the ready as part of my PM parts. Thanks again.

aurelius
05-16-2012, 11:07 AM
I just bought one of those. Eleven bucks plus free shipping this month HERE (http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215771).

Hermes
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
It's a PITA to replace that lower boot, you probably will have to cut the old one off if it's badly dried out

das boots
05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
The last time I was way deep down there, the boot was still plyable and no rips. So, I cleaned it up and re-used it. Positioned the hose clamp in such a way in which it would be more accessible next time. It was a real PIA getting to that clamp. But I know next time, the boot would in all probability disintegrate.

quikryptonite
05-17-2012, 06:56 AM
I just bought one of those. Eleven bucks plus free shipping this month HERE (http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215771).

Thanks for the heads up. I needed to get that part since my car has developed an annoying whistle coming from the boot. I love me some free shipping!

Jesse M
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Warning: Do not attempt DIY if you have gorilla hands.

quikryptonite
05-31-2012, 10:45 AM

So I ordered my parts on the 18th and haven't seen them yet. I understand that free shipping = slow shipping, but it's almost been two weeks.

danewilson77
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
So I ordered my parts on the 18th and haven't seen them yet. I understand that free shipping = slow shipping, but it's almost been two weeks.

From where?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

das boots
05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I got mine from thebmwpartstore. Received them in 2 days. Free ship.

aurelius
05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Any part in your order that's not in stock will slow things down, especially if it's a part coming from Germany. I ordered 23 E30 parts a while back, 19 of which were special order. Took a month.

Funny thing is, they ship via Fedex Express. You'll have the stuff the day after they ship it out.

This being the final day for their free shipping promo, I put it to the test just now. Windshield cowl for mom's E46. Was expecting an exception since the part is large. But it's shipping free.

Parts source in question is linked within my earlier post above.

quikryptonite
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Ah, must be something to do with that I would imagine. I got the parts from BMWMercedes dot com. I didn't think about a part not being in stock. Whoops.

aurelius
06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Actually it's bmwmercedesparts.com and they've extended free shipping thru June.

It's BMW of Lincoln (Nebraska) but you have to go thru the site above to get the parts discounts. Formerly Husker BMW.

Definitely a great source for "dealer-only" parts.

MrMaico
06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Actually it's bmwmercedesparts.com and they've extended free shipping thru June.

It's BMW of Lincoln (Nebraska) but you have to go thru the site above to get the parts discounts. Formerly Husker BMW.

Definitely a great source for "dealer-only" parts.

Hmmm. I've been debating ordering a new windshield from them and didn't make up my mind before the end of May. Nice to know I have another month to decide. LOL Can't beat the price of $247.

I buy most of my original parts from them since they are so close to me but they can be slow on getting orders fulfilled at times though. They quoted me only $20 shipping on a windshield about a month ago. Mine is just pitted pretty bad, I'm afraid I'll replace it then get a major chip in the new one.

I also ordered a set of these boots just to have on hand back when I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago. Still haven't needed them. :-)

Barry

aurelius
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Unfortunately my combo wrench set's smallest is 8mm and the nuts on the lower boot's 2 clamps are 7mm. I ended up cutting out the bulk of lower intake boot but even with that, the heads on the 2 hose clamps are still tough to reach. Clearly the original boot was attached before the motor was installed.

Anyhow, I'll be doing this on another E46 soon and am looking for a recommendation for a ratcheting 7mm closed-end wrench for those clamps.

Ironically a Snap On truck blew right by me yesterday but I was on foot.

Suggestions and where to buy?

johnrando
06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Hmmm. I've been debating ordering a new windshield from them and didn't make up my mind before the end of May. Nice to know I have another month to decide. LOL Can't beat the price of $247.

I buy most of my original parts from them since they are so close to me but they can be slow on getting orders fulfilled at times though. They quoted me only $20 shipping on a windshield about a month ago. Mine is just pitted pretty bad, I'm afraid I'll replace it then get a major chip in the new one.

I also ordered a set of these boots just to have on hand back when I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago. Still haven't needed them. :-)

Barry

OEM windshield for $247 with free shipping? Amazing! I might just order an extra and store it!

das boots
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately my combo wrench set's smallest is 8mm and the nuts on the lower boot's 2 clamps are 7mm. I ended up cutting out the bulk of lower intake boot but even with that, the heads on the 2 hose clamps are still tough to reach. Clearly the original boot was attached before the motor was installed.

Anyhow, I'll be doing this on another E46 soon and am looking for a recommendation for a ratcheting 7mm closed-end wrench for those clamps.

Ironically a Snap On truck blew right by me yesterday but I was on foot.

Suggestions and where to buy?

I got my metric 1/4" socket set from HF. They have this extended tool for the socket and the wrench which is flexible. Use anything to make it work. After the removal, I re-positioned the clamp head to the side for easier access in the future.

aurelius
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Btw as is common there was a crack in the lower boot's extension to the ICV.

Cured mildly erratic engine idle speed.

66k miles when replaced. Probably should've done it 10k miles ago.

aurelius
08-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Removing a set of intake boots from another E46 and in removing the fitting from the upper boot, the smaller of the 2 hoses cracked in half, as pictured below.

My immediate question is whether this will affect drive-ability. I'm assuming it's a fuel vapor hose. It's actually a hard plastic tube, the last 6 or so inches of which is covered in rubber hose in order to attach to the fitting to the boot. The inner plastic hose ID is too small to attach directly to the fitting.

Discuss...

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/aurelius3/Random%20BMW%20Pics/8e8b8acd.jpg

das boots
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Temporary only....duct tape or electrical tape? Wrapped around real tight.

danewilson77
08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Temporary only....duct tape or electrical tape? Wrapped around real tight.

Yup.....that'll work.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

MrMaico
08-13-2012, 03:22 AM
I'd go with a quality electrical tape like 3M over duct tape.

EDIT: RATHER than duct tape. Should have worded that different. :-)

aurelius
08-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Re the broken hose pictured in my earlier post, I'm still not clear on what it is or what it does. The motor (E46 325i) runs fine without it, at least for the moment. I'm going to put a vacuum cap on the fitting until I figure out what exactly I need to replace. Seems the hose in question may be #12 in the attached diagram (?).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/d/e/141.png

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2012, 06:27 AM
That "F" connector is like $5 at the dealer, the hose is a special diameter and they only sell it in 1 meter lengths, about $25 if I recall correctly. I have some extra of the hose, PM me your address and I'll get some sent to you.
Bruce

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Relooking at your pic, you didn't bust the "F" connector so just use a razor and cut off that remnant of hose from the "f" connector. And then do the same on the other end as that piece is also hard plastic or metal.

Nivo
08-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Removing a set of intake boots from another E46 and in removing the fitting from the upper boot, the smaller of the 2 hoses cracked in half, as pictured below.

My immediate question is whether this will affect drive-ability. I'm assuming it's a fuel vapor hose. It's actually a hard plastic tube, the last 6 or so inches of which is covered in rubber hose in order to attach to the fitting to the boot. The inner plastic hose ID is too small to attach directly to the fitting.

Discuss...

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/aurelius3/Random%20BMW%20Pics/8e8b8acd.jpg

I believe that hose it the one that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. The top one goes to the brake booster suction jet pump. It just lowers fuel pressure at idle up until full throttle.

aurelius
08-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Relooking at your pic, you didn't bust the "F" connector so just use a razor and cut off that remnant of hose from the "f" connector. And then do the same on the other end as that piece is also hard plastic or metal.

I did cut it from the F connector's fitting after I shot the photo. Unfortunately, the decayed rubber hose is the only way to join that hard plastic tube to the fitting. The plastic tube is too small for the fitting. It's also not really quite long enough to reach without putting what seems like a bit of stress on that tube. Do you happen to know the inner diameter of that rubber hose? And yes, if you have extra, I'd sure take 4-6 inches if you can spare it.

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2012, 10:14 AM
PM'd, I'll mail you some of the hose when I get home tonight.

BCS_ZHP
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Placed 6" of hose in an envelope tonight and dropped it off at the post office, hopefully you'll see it before the end of the week.

aurelius
08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Excellent, thanks.

The rest of you might visually check that same section of rubber hose. It was badly deteriorated on the E46 I was working on (4/02 production date @ 80k miles). But don't pull or twist it unless you have some new hose for replacement. It tore apart very easily.

aurelius
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Placed 6" of hose in an envelope tonight and dropped it off at the post office, hopefully you'll see it before the end of the week.

Thanks again, Bruce. Hose worked perfectly and I have enough left over to do the ZHP.

Of note: the E46 on which the hose broke is a 325i (80k mis, built 4/02. Obviously, that little air hose was badly decayed since it cracked in half as I was pulling the fitting from the upper intake boot. On the ZHP (67k mis, built 6/03) that same hose is in excellent condition. Both cars have always been in Texas.

Ironically, the original lower intake boot on the 325 had no cracks even though the under-hood environment is very dirty, yet the very clean ZHP engine compartment's lower boot had the usual crack in the accordion on the tube leading to the ICV. Both the upper and lower boots have different part numbers on the 325.