PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Oil light (and something positive)

Asiah119
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
I've noticed it twice. After my, roughly five mile, drive to work I turn the car off and the yellow oil light stays on. If I turn the car back on the light turns off, when I turn the car off the light stays off. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Any thoughts?

Also... I clayed my car for the first time. It took just about forever but the finished product was well worth it. I discovered that there are quite a few scratches in the paint that I did not know about but with a bit of cleaner and a coat of wax everything is back to looking spectacular. I also discovered that someone did a poor job of repainting the trunk. There's a nice run of paint down the right side by the license plate.

SoarinZHP
05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Check your oil level... It should be low.

Oli77
05-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Yellow oil light after you turn car off and the ride is short sounds like the same symptom I had. Would not do it, however, until ~ 2000-3000 miles after an oil change. Would not do it if ride was longer. But short rides and > 3000 miles since last oil change, it would happen.

At first I thought oil sensor. Checked oil often and it was never that low, sure I added a bit around 5000 miles. But in about 6-9 months, I realized what was happening. It was my oil housing gasket that was leaking.

Take you air filter housing out look under the manifold, to the left of the intake, at the waffle area. See any oil?

kayger12
05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Yellow oil light that remains lit for 30 sec after startup = bad oil level sensor

Yellow oil light after shut down = oil 1 quart low.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

Oli77
05-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes boss, I forgot about that.

Here is a pick of the area to look for a leak.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07252.jpg

Asiah119
05-20-2012, 06:31 AM
I gave a peek and didn't see any oil. I'm running a little low on oil though, probably less than half a quart.

MrMaico
05-21-2012, 12:01 PM
I gave a peek and didn't see any oil. I'm running a little low on oil though, probably less than half a quart.

Took less than a half quart low on mine to do the same thing yours is doing. Top off the oil and see if that takes care of it. I made the mistake of changing the oil level sensor before finding out what was going on. Try turning the ignition on and off again without starting before leaving for work and see if it lights after driving to work. If I did that the light wouldn't come on after shutdown after a short drive. Longer drives were ok.

Oli77
05-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Ouch, my yellow oil light came on this AM after a short trip. I thought it was the OFHG that was causing this. So I either have a leak again or something else is up.

Put in 7 quarts 2 weeks ago when I did my OFHG. Should need anymore. Argh, I'll check oil tonight and may be do your trick MrMaico.

NorCalZman
05-24-2012, 07:55 AM
if you keep a quart of oil in your trunk, neat lil bag thatll velcro it to the side of the trunk http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Search/Oil_Bag/ES1885136/ or at a BMW dealer.

Oli77
05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
^ that's cool.

Somehow, however, I feel like I must save money for the potential bigger things to come...

NorCalZman
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
yeah the little things, 5 dollar here and there, do add up huh.