PDA

View Full Version : Which backing plate?

Newjack
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I have this porter cable here. (http://www.detailedimage.com/Porter-Cable-M17/7424XP-Random-Orbital-Buffer-P331/) The kit that I got did not include a backing plate to use other pads on it. So I want to buy a backing plate along with some sonax from detailers domain while the deal still lasts. (It ends today). So which backing plate will work best with the porter cable that I have?

M0nk3y
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
What size pads did you get?

I prefer this backing plate, which I have on my rotary:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Meguiars-5-DA-Polisher-Backing-Plate-W67DA_p_586.html

It's not any normal plastic crap. It's actually foam in-between the velcro and plastic where you screw it in. This helps distribute all weight across the pad evenly and helps reduce marring (from pressure on 1 size of the pad).

IMO it works fine.

Newjack
06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I have 5.5 inch pads. Is this backing plate too big? I know you want the pads to be bigger to prevent you from rubbing the backing plate onto whatever it is you are trying to polish. I'm guessing half an inch is enough room?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

M0nk3y
06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I have 5.5 inch pads. Is this backing plate too big? I know you want the pads to be bigger to prevent you from rubbing the backing plate onto whatever it is you are trying to polish. I'm guessing half an inch is enough room?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Yep, .5"-1" is what you usually want. You'll be fine.

MrMaico
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I've been looking and combo kits thinking about finally getting a buffer and see kits with 6.5 and others with 5.5 inch pads included. Is there any preference on size here for a novice? Maybe one easier to work with over the other?

Thanks......Barry

M0nk3y
08-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I've been looking and combo kits thinking about finally getting a buffer and see kits with 6.5 and others with 5.5 inch pads included. Is there any preference on size here for a novice? Maybe one easier to work with over the other?

Thanks......Barry

With a porter cable, 5.5" will be easier to control and achieve more correction ability.

Since it's a dual action, it's not forced rotation so the smaller the pad size the faster it will spin, thus creating more heat

MrMaico
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
With a porter cable, 5.5" will be easier to control and achieve more correction ability.

Since it's a dual action, it's not forced rotation so the smaller the pad size the faster it will spin, thus creating more heat

That makes sense, thanks Kyle. I will more than likely go with a Porter Cable when I do buy something.

Sorry about the typo, I meant to say "looking AT combo kits.

Barry