PDA

View Full Version : ***M3 rear end*** (SOLD)

Ramtyper19
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
SOLD!!!!

Hornung418
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Oooo...dats nice :) I'll keep you in mind when I get a months' pay under my belt.

UdubBadger
06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
damn that'd be fun

Ramtyper19
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I know someone wanna do this swap more than me!!!

JupiterBMW
06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Lets make a deal... You convince my wife, and I'll pay for it. :biggrin

Ramtyper19
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
LOL… I'm trying to figure out how to convince mine on turbo'ing the ZHP!!

danewilson77
06-14-2012, 03:38 AM
LOL… I'm trying to figure out how to convince mine on turbo'ing the ZHP!!

Then you would want to keep this, no?

Ramtyper19
06-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Its up for sale but I have all intentions of doing the swap. If someone grabs it before my "swap date" then fine if not I'm swapping it. I'm grabbing some fresh rear rotors and pads soon too(don't need it but I'm a picky person with my stuff). This is going to wake up the zhp like non other!!!

Boost is my ultimate dream for her!

UdubBadger
06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Is it totally necessary to do for F/I'ing a ZHP? I would assume the rear end of the stock ZHP could handle about 350-400whp no?

clutch and diff would be my 1st concerns.

ecyrb
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
lsd really should be included if you're boosting a zhp. the rear subframe might not be as necessary, but for this price, i'd say get the rear subframe and lsd in one swoop :thumbsup

your car should take all you could throw at it after installing this setup

Ramtyper19
06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
It is not necessary at all to F/I it. The benefits for this swap are
1. Price
2. Limited slip diff
3. Higher final drive (I autocross so this is a huge plus for me)
4. Vented rear rotors now (correct me if I'm wrong there)
5. Oem reliability

People do say this swap is catered more to N/A cars but I beg to differ.

Ramtyper19
06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Correction on #4. My zhp rear rotors are vented also!!

Hornung418
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
All BMW e46 rotors are vented :)

And if you plan on going F/I you want to keep the ratio down so you can use the power! You won't even need to use 1st and second will be a very short...

Sent from my P.O.S. DroidX

Ramtyper19
06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
When I boost the car I'm not looking for highway or quarter mile speed. I'm looking for out of corner speed. The gears will help that alot and some boost will as well. Once its boosted test and tuning on the track will determine how much power I need where and when!!

Hornung418
08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Did this sell or get installed?

Ramtyper19
10-02-2014, 07:11 AM
I actually never installed this and is looking to get rid of it ASAP.... So the first $1000 takes it all!

I'm selling my ZHP also!!! So this gotta gooooooo!!!!

Vas
10-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Man if only this would fit in the trunk of my zhp.

az3579
10-02-2014, 07:36 AM
I actually never installed this and is looking to get rid of it ASAP.... So the first $1000 takes it all!

I'm selling my ZHP also!!! So this gotta gooooooo!!!!

If the ratio wasn't so short I'd be all over this. :(

ItsMeScottG
10-02-2014, 07:45 AM
If I had the cash laying around, I'd buy this right now and get it installed asap. I'm broke though for the time being. GLWS

cakM3
10-02-2014, 07:45 AM

ummm.... yeah you would....

az3579
10-02-2014, 07:47 AM
ummm.... yeah you would....

Ummm... yeah, I would.

I want a 3.23 or a 3.38.

derbo
10-02-2014, 07:55 AM

It's not THAT short. I can get about 28mpg on the freeway. :)

az3579
10-02-2014, 07:58 AM
It's not THAT short. I can get about 28mpg on the freeway. :)

I don't think 2MPG loss is acceptable.

bullfrogs_M3
10-02-2014, 08:34 AM
FYI on this swap for whoever is going to buy this or swap this.....

If you do a direct swap in and out, your rear offsets WILL change. If you use your stock ZHP(non-M) wheel hubs then your offset stays the same. Also, you will HAVE to buy M3 rear discs if you do a direct swap. But again if you keep your stock size wheel hubs then the offset and rotors remain the same as original on the ZHP(non-M).

Source: Lots of a research on this and a full M3 setup sitting in the garage right now :)

Ramtyper19
10-02-2014, 08:40 AM
FYI on this swap for whoever is going to buy this or swap this.....

If you do a direct swap in and out, your rear offsets WILL change. If you use your stock ZHP(non-M) wheel hubs then your offset stays the same. Also, you will HAVE to buy M3 rear discs if you do a direct swap. But again if you keep your stock size wheel hubs then the offset and rotors remain the same as original on the ZHP(non-M).

Source: Lots of a research on this and a full M3 setup sitting in the garage right now :)

It doesn't change the offset at all. Im not sure where you're getting that information from.

UdubBadger
10-02-2014, 08:59 AM
If you're doing it right it will - meaning everything connected to the rear axle like discs and calipers ect...

bullfrogs_M3
10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
If you're doing it right it will - meaning everything connected to the rear axle like discs and calipers ect...

This.

Ramtyper, I was talking about if you pull out your stock rear end section and drop an M3 rear end in directly, the offsets will definitely change. Hubs, Calibers, Rotors all affect offset. Is it substantial? No, but a lot of us run semi-aggressive or non-OEM wheels and/or tires and any change to offset will throw all of that off.

Tnhl1989
10-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Kinda strange how everyone is stating that it changes. I just had my techs pulled up all the information and everything to confirm this. In actually the physical difference is only in the wheel offset of the rims and tires. The actual distance doesn't change. My tech was concerned about this since he didn't want to purchase smaller wheels. Overall the actual distance doesn't change any.

Ramtyper19
10-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Kinda strange how everyone is stating that it changes. I just had my techs pulled up all the information and everything to confirm this. In actually the physical difference is only in the wheel offset of the rims and tires. The actual distance doesn't change. My tech was concerned about this since he didn't want to purchase smaller wheels. Overall the actual distance doesn't change any.

This is correct!

Hub to Hub on both are the same lenght. M3 diff is bigger and therefore has shorter axles.

Offsets do not change! The Rim offset is the difference!

bullfrogs_M3
10-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Alright well, i stand corrected. Everywhere else that I read in about this (most those that had performed the swap on e46fanatics) had talked about the change in offsets.

Good luck with your sale, hopefully someone jumps on this!

az3579
10-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm having a hard time believing that the offsets don't change. The M3 has flared fenders, therefore the wheels are supposed to stick out more; so y'all are saying it's ONLY a wheel offset difference and not an actual difference in the overall mechanical bits? How much of a difference are we talking here?

Ramtyper19
10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Correct.... If you where to put a set of M3 rear wheels on your zhp you'll be quite surprised how much they stick out! I did it on mine just to see and was amazed. When researching to do mine I sourced a guy that did the complete swap on his to confirm lenght was not an issue.

Tnhl1989
10-02-2014, 03:30 PM
So.....BP when can we do the swap? We can do it at the lab :)

UdubBadger
10-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm having a hard time believing that the offsets don't change. The M3 has flared fenders, therefore the wheels are supposed to stick out more; so y'all are saying it's ONLY a wheel offset difference and not an actual difference in the overall mechanical bits? How much of a difference are we talking here?

M3 offset in rear is ET+22 and I'm guessing that's more for clearance than "style" so yeah not sure how it wouldn't be needed on a swap if everything is equal.

UdubBadger
10-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Not saying the length changes but they're using more fitting offset for a reason so what is it accommodating that needs more clearance? Bigger calipers?

derbo
10-02-2014, 03:42 PM

I did not notice any difference in my offset when I put my full rear end M3 on my car. The same rims went on and I didn't have any difference in clearance.

Tnhl1989
10-02-2014, 03:50 PM
So Derbo confirms it and so BP let's meet soon to do yours.

cakM3
10-02-2014, 04:26 PM

nice!!!

derbo
10-02-2014, 07:09 PM

E46 M3 rear wheels are 18x9 +26
E46 135 rear wheel are 18x8.5 +50

clearance differences:

M3 wheel will have 18mm of clearance on the inside, and outside position will be 30mm further out.

UdubBadger
10-02-2014, 08:07 PM
They also use same size rubber so it's not to stuff more in there. Gotta be for brake clearance (if not just cosmetic)

derbo
10-02-2014, 08:44 PM
They also use same size rubber so it's not to stuff more in there. Gotta be for brake clearance (if not just cosmetic)

The tire width is the same but the sidewall ratio is taller on the M3.

The rear rotor is 328x20 vs 320x25 in diameter. The caliper itself is no larger than the non-M caliper and even can use the same brake pads as the non-M. There isn't any more clearance issues on the non-M caliper vs the M caliper.

Honestly I think the offset is there to increase the wheel track which increases cornering ability by minimizing load transfer in the rear. My guess, the front track is increased by total 20mm on each side (confirmed by Tony) so the rear track had to be increased as well. With a total of 30mm each side, its maintains a similar ratio as the non-M with slightly more track on the rear. Suspension has alot of variables and this can get very technical and sour fast since I believe most of us are not experts on the matter.

Ramtyper19
10-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Awesome guys now come pick up this complete rear end forbcheap!!!

az3579
10-03-2014, 04:36 AM
So.....BP when can we do the swap? We can do it at the lab :)

Perhaps you missed the part about the gearing... lol
Contemplating this a little more now because I just got news that my driveshaft will either have to get rebalanced or replaced, both of which are expensive options that could instead be used towards this swap. But... that ratio though... ugh.

E46 M3 rear wheels are 18x9 +26
E46 135 rear wheel are 18x8.5 +50

clearance differences:

M3 wheel will have 18mm of clearance on the inside, and outside position will be 30mm further out.

My CH's are +35 offset. I am not even gonna try to calculate this with only 4 hours of sleep (1.5 hrs of which was spent trying to fall back asleep after some morons were arguing outside of my house last night). Could you please help me out? :)

I should probably ask... OP... is the driveshaft included for the $1000 or is it additional?
Not like it matters because... flat broke. :facepalm

UdubBadger
10-03-2014, 05:43 AM
The tire width is the same but the sidewall ratio is taller on the M3.

The rear rotor is 328x20 vs 320x25 in diameter. The caliper itself is no larger than the non-M caliper and even can use the same brake pads as the non-M. There isn't any more clearance issues on the non-M caliper vs the M caliper.

Honestly I think the offset is there to increase the wheel track which increases cornering ability by minimizing load transfer in the rear. My guess, the front track is increased by total 20mm on each side (confirmed by Tony) so the rear track had to be increased as well. With a total of 30mm each side, its maintains a similar ratio as the non-M with slightly more track on the rear. Suspension has alot of variables and this can get very technical and sour fast since I believe most of us are not experts on the matter.

Good points

F-ING BMW just trying to complicate things for no reason.

derbo
10-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Contemplating this a little more now because I just got news that my driveshaft will either have to get rebalanced or replaced, both of which are expensive options that could instead be used towards this swap. But... that ratio though... ugh.

My CH's are +35 offset. I am not even gonna try to calculate this with only 4 hours of sleep (1.5 hrs of which was spent trying to fall back asleep after some morons were arguing outside of my house last night). Could you please help me out? :)

I should probably ask... OP... is the driveshaft included for the $1000 or is it additional?

M3 18s 18x9 +26
BBS CH 18x8.5 +35

M3 will have 3mm more inner clearance
M3 will extend 15mm on the outside position.

Driveshaft should be included because it would be useless without it. :)

Tnhl1989
10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes it is included and I believe my tech is going to purchase it. Sorry BP

derbo
10-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes it is included and I believe my tech is going to purchase it. Sorry BP

Niceeee

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Ramtyper19
10-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Yes the drive shaft is included for $1000. Remember the M3 diff is bigger so the stock zhp rear sway bar will not fit. I have the m3 sway bar that you will need as well... All included for $1000

And we do have a sale pending at this time

NickZHP
10-03-2014, 01:07 PM
So everything needed to do the full swap in the ZHP is included?

Ramtyper19
10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
So everything needed to do the full swap in the ZHP is included?

Yup!!!!

NickZHP
10-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I might be interested but that would be tough picking it up in CT...

Ramtyper19
10-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I might be interested but that would be tough picking it up in CT...

I hear you! I can ship but that would be 100% at your cost of cost. How much would it be to ship? I have no idea!!

Ramtyper19
10-03-2014, 03:29 PM
So as we stand right now complete rear is sold with a post date of Oct 11th..... If things change I will update you all!

derbo
10-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Congrats!

Ramtyper19
10-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks but I'll know for sure on the 11th.....lol

Buddy of mine so I'll hold it for a couple!

Ramtyper19
10-13-2014, 03:25 AM
Ok guys..... Rear end is officially SOLD!!!

Not sure how to end this thread now!

danewilson77
10-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Ok guys..... Rear end is officially SOLD!!!

Not sure how to end this thread now!

You just did.