PDA

View Full Version : Boston area installer for SSK?

tunamelt
06-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, I got a BMW Performance shift lever that I would like to have installed. My trusted mechanic says estimated its a 3 hour job... That seems like a lot. Can anyone suggest a shop around Boston or Metro West that would do it for less?

Thanks!

johnrando
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
You might also want to post in the "Regional" section.

brettbimmer
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
You may have some luck with some of the mafia members on here lending a hand if you wish to attempt the swap yourself. I know we have some talented folks fairly close to Boston!

sna77
06-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Boston Motor Werks in Belmont, Ma: www.bostonmotorwerks.com

or Bavarian Performance Group in Winchester: www.bavarianperformancegroup.com.

Both excellent, BMW only shops. I only take my cars to those shops.

wsmeyer
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
I did mine myself in about 40 min without even getting under the car.

William.

tunamelt
06-18-2012, 06:43 AM
sna77 - I pretty much only got Boston Motor Werks in Belmont. Love the place. But Rob couldn't see a way to install the shift lever without dropping the exhaust. He also felt I should have the various shifting bushings replaced as part of the job. He's probably right, but this was all going to cost about $400... so I'm looking for other options.

wsmeyer - wish I had the confidence to try to do it myself. I'm afraid I'll end up with with unfinished project and an undrivable car!

sna77
06-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Rob's opinion would be to drop the exhaust and replace all the bushings etc. He's someone who will only do the job right, not quick.