PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mix a bit of 100 Oct once in a while...?

Washburn
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
As the Shell V power 93 I usually use also has 10% EtOH, I've been playing with this idea: I pass this Sunoco gas station where they have 100 octane 'race gas' or whatever, and I keep wondering how different the ZHP would perform if I mix a quarter tank of that stuff with the rest of the tank being Shell V power....

Anyone has any experience with this? Is the Sunoco 100 octane gas safe for our cars? Their website says it is....

M0nk3y
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
You'll burn rich if you mix it in here and there. The ECU needs to properly adapt to the fuel to use it correctly

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

llll1l1ll
06-27-2012, 03:36 AM
I would probably just go all the way and use a full tank instead of mixing it. I reckon that would get expensive, though.

brettbimmer
06-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I know that this was discussed in another thread here. Can anyone recall which one to help Washburn out?

brettbimmer
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The-Traveler
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
As far as I know Octane goes something like this:

Fact 1:
The higher the octane, the less likely that the fuel will ignite prematurely (before spark), known as detonation.

Fact 2:
As engines age, depending on their maintenance, they can become more susceptible to this.

Fact 3:
The engine pulls timing when it detects knock, or what it thinks is knock, using a type of vibration sensor. (4k dip was DISA making noise, making DME think it's knock.) This means less performance.

Fact 4:
If engine is given low octane fuel, below it's designed spec, it may detect knock and then lower performance. In which case, when you put in better fuel, it might take some time for the positive adjustment to be made.

So... unless you're engine is retarding the ignition timing right now, putting in 200octane fuel won't do a thing... save your money.

danewilson77
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Great info traveler. Thanks.