PDA

View Full Version : Tire problem

Kudos
07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
I was going to pick up some people yesterday and drove just fine for the 20 or miles. However, when i got 2 passengers on the passenger side of the car, things just went for the worse. i think i had about 200 lbs front and 170 lbs in the back. What happened next i was shocked to understand. the rear right tire started to rub, and i didn't realize it at first. i got on the highway and the tire shredded on the inside line. Completely destroyed tire. granted they are least 2 years of my ownership that i had the car for with 20k miles on it, but the question I have, is what is the maximum weight that can be applied without stock tires rubbing.

i'm running 135's with 255/35/18.. Stock suspension.

Could my suspension not holding compression and causing it to rub? i checked my other tire today to get the size, and noticed a gash on the inside track again on the other side. it's about 1 inch long and i would say 2-3 mm deep at the deepest part.

any input? also where's the best place to get tires for our toys?

btw the tires i'm running are bridgestone potenza RE760. any recommendations for tire here in chicago? i have a winter set so i just need a summer set. no crazy autocross or highway speeds of more than 80. i like to kick the car sideways once in a great while, but mostly when it's slightly wet and i'm not burning holes in my pockets.

az3579
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Is your car lowered, and if so, by how much? Are your fender lips rolled?

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Tires = TireRack via the affiliate link.

JupiterBMW
07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Tires = TireRack via the affiliate link.

This.

Kudos
07-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Stock tires, no suspension mods at all. Would it be possible that the tire rubbed so hard that it shredded? It only got destroyed on the inside track, so that might be the camber of our car, but i figure the suspension should be able to handle more weight than that..

llll1l1ll
07-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Your friends need to lose some weight! I keed I keed

Sounds like it's plausible that the tire rubbed itself to death. I speculate that worn/tired suspension components allowed it to sag that on that side more than the other, and the tire was rubbing on the fender some.

Crestwood1001
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Ditto, sounds like you need a suspension refresh asap, thats a dangerous problem to have!

jayjay_dee
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Ditto, sounds like you need a suspension refresh asap, thats a dangerous problem to have!

+ 1

and for your new tires, get them from Tirerack, and use the affiliate link as Dane mentioned above...
I just bought RE760 from them last month and delivery was so fast...

danewilson77
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
+ 1

and for your new tires, get them from Tirerack, and use the affiliate link as Dane mentioned above...
I just bought RE760 from them last month and delivery was so fast...

Ha. I got same tires.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Kudos
07-07-2012, 07:39 AM
now i find out my suspension might be the reason my tire crapped out. the passenger rear spring had rust and cracks at the bottom of the spring. Anyone have a recommendation for a setup that will be very close to stock without dropping a ton of money on it?

danewilson77
07-07-2012, 09:12 AM
now i find out my suspension might be the reason my tire crapped out. the passenger rear spring had rust and cracks at the bottom of the spring. Anyone have a recommendation for a setup that will be very close to stock without dropping a ton of money on it?

Probably an H&R cupkit is closest.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Jon D
07-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Or if your not looking to upgrade at all find a set of factory springs from a salvage yard.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

SC4ME
07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Cracked springs. Of course! This is a fairly common issue (cracked/broken springs) in the colder climates where salt is liberally used. Either get a good set of aftermarket springs and struts or go back to OEM.