PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

JupiterBMW
07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking about dropping a few bucks into the ZHP. Having the two new rear tires really makes me want to get the fronts to match. Of course, I really want to go square so I can rotate, which means buying the rims too. I've decided on a set of VMR VB3s (CSL reps) in 18x8.5".

A few other things I really want to do right now are the Turner clear light package, a Coby rewrap, and perhaps a few small other upgrades (homelink from eBay, aux input kit, bimmian mount (?), who knows what else). Something with a Dinan badge might make its way on the car soon too if I go this route.

So my question to all of you is, should I go with the wheels or should I go with a few of the smaller items?

Either way, I think I need to go with the tires, so that's kind of defining the purchase for me, but if I didn't do that, I could still do the two tires in the OEM front size.

What are your thoughts? Also, it seems like Modbargains is the place to get those wheels. Is there a better or cheaper place to get them? Thanks folks!

Beau B
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I am in a similar situation but my ZHP is not as clean as yours. I am going for fixing/maintenance issues and than upgrades. I would first do your Coby rewrap (assuming it is in need of attention) and then wheels and tires, following whatever you still have money for.

Beau

nike001
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I was in the same position as you.. but hey, I have OEM clears, a coby wrap, a homelink & and aux input.

I'm not mad about my decision.. but I pretty much came to the consensus that if I were to get square'd up, it'd have to be a hell of a deal or I'd just get CSL reps.

midlandtech
07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
If your tires are bad and need replaced I'd say replace them however, it makes no since to spend money on tires that fit rims your wanting to get rid of... So My vote goes for replacing tires if they need it and upgrading wheels while your at it

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imola red zhp
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Same as you guys, I did maintenance stuff first coooling system refresh diff and trans fluids,
Mods
Angel eyes and BMW intake

Next I dont know which way to go lights or wheels and tires.
Also on the list is brakes, flush and ss lines, short shift kit and tint.....

sent from dennis' personal electronic device

UdubBadger
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
don't worry bout the wheels. the 135M's are pretty classy and unique. Do the functionality items first, then the cosmetic "want" items. You have to drive the car before you worry about people looking at it.

az3579
07-02-2012, 01:39 AM
You don't have to change your wheels to get tires that fit squared. The rims may be a different size, but you could get the same size tire all around anyway. The offset and minor size differences don't really matter. The differences aren't that huge.

I'd get the most bang for your buck, which would be the small mods. The Turner light package is pretty darned expensive, so that's not all that much bang for the buck. Perhaps all the small interior items that you actually get to use every day would be my choice, then all the bigger-ticket stuff.

JupiterBMW
07-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Hmm, thanks for all the replies. My maintenance items all seem to be in shape, and to be honest, this car is just a toy for me. I don't 'need' the car for commuting. When I'm home on vacation (6 months/year) I don't go anywhere other than around town and errands and stuff. And when I'm gone to work, I'm gone, and the car will just sit. So, I have the luxury of being able to put more money into toys at the moment. That being said, the front tires aren't great, and it just bugs my OCDness to have mismatched tires, hence why I wanted to get new ones up front. I went with 245/35-18 in the back. I suppose those would fit ok up front too?

I dunno... Its sooo hard to just not get EVERYTHING... Which I can't spend that kind of money right now. :biggrin

UdubBadger
07-02-2012, 07:17 AM
not sure if 45's fit in front. I suspected 35 all around was the widest you could go

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I believe 245's will work...square.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

JupiterBMW
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
I freakin' hope so, I already bought the 245s in the rear!

Then again, my last car was equipped with 225/40-18 all the way around stock on an 8" rim. I was running 245/40s all the way around, no problem.. Granted, I know it was a completely different car, diff wheels, wheel well shape... But still, like it was said above, we're only talking 20mm. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

brettbimmer
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
What is your reasoning for going to a square setup? If you are looking for more neutral handling & less umdersteer, that makes sense. If you really need front tires, it probably makes more sense then the other upgrades for now, IMHO.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Honestly, I just want a square setup so that I can rotate tires and try and get a few more miles out of them. I always replace all 4 at a time, so I want to get on a set of wheels/tires that I can do that with. As for understeer, I haven't noticed it yet. I'm not a really aggressive driver, but if it lessens understeer, I'm happy with that too. :)

webster
07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
maintenance before mods, always...

JupiterBMW
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
maintenance before mods, always...

Yes Dad... :rofl I know, and honestly, I used to be the BIGGEST propagator of this piece of wisdom. Being that I now have a few other things to address, I will probably stick to the maintenance before mods and get what is needed. When I get home from work next time though, it'll be time to buy the fun stuff. :biggrin

webster
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
lol, i've violated my own advice many times. no worries.

az3579
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
not sure if 45's fit in front. I suspected 35 all around was the widest you could go

255's will even fit. My track setup is 255/45R-17x8.5 and those fit the fronts perfectly with no rubbing. My car is even lowered on an H&R Cup Kit suspension.

Rovert
07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Would a higher rear camber worn tire transferred to front and vice versa effect handling in extreme situations? I always thought if you had to turn hard the extra wear angle from rear camber on the front and the conservative front wear on the rear would mean the tire contact patch is less?