PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

DirtyPillows
07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
So I was wandering what's your guy's opinion on matte colors. I've been trying to do some research and see how this would work for a daily driver, but I want your input now.

To give you an idea I wanted to go with this color.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637137

static667
07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
That matte blue is :drool. I'm not sure how you have to care for that kind of paint job. I think it would be a pain.

Newjack
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
So I was wandering what's your guy's opinion on matte colors. I've been trying to do some research and see how this would work for a daily driver, but I want your input now.

To give you an idea I wanted to go with this color.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637137

Are you planning on making your entire car a matte blue color?

As far as the color goes, it looks really good on that M3. But I think it would be a little funny on a car without the right cosmetically supporting mods. To better explain what I mean, take a look at the M3 in the picture and imagine your car with that hood. That M3 looks sick with that hood, but when it is attached to your car (or any standard 3series), it looks a little overboard. Too much is going on. To help support the look, you would need some carbon fiber accents, a lip, a trunk lid, etc. Having a matte blue car would look really nice, but I think it is one of those things that a car can or can't pull off.

Now I'm not saying that your car can't pull it off, but without pictures of it first, I can only use my minds eye to draw an image. I just don't think it would look "right". Again without seeing it in person, I can't say with 100% certainty. But I hardly ever see cars with a matte paint job that don't already have 500whp and carbon fiber.

As far as maintaining a matte paint, I'm pretty sure it would be a lot easier. Since it doesn't have much of a reflective surface, it can hide scratches and blemishes REALLY well. Since I don't know a whole lot about matte colors, I assume that it has a clearcoat like regular paint does to protect it.

On another note, looking at the rear end of that M3 is like looking up Kim Kardashians skirt.

ryankokesh
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Spray paint it with blue plasti dip to test it out. It'll be matte, and then you can peel it all off either way and repaint with real matte paint if you liked it.

I'm not completely serious...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyPillows
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM
On another note, looking at the rear end of that M3 is like looking up Kim Kardashians skirt.

So true.

But to your other points the goal is to get CSL front bumper with m3 mirrors. Then have black trim splitter.

BRGcoopahS
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Spray paint it with blue plasti dip to test it out. It'll be matte, and then you can peel it all off either way and repaint with real matte paint if you liked it.

I'm not completely serious...lol.

Plasti dip is the poor mans solution lol. Its good, if you plan on it being temporary. I've had numerous parts of my car blacked out with it for about 2 years now and let me tell you.... that sh#t aint peelin off. Two years of sun beating on it almost infused it with the car. I'd have to scrape the crap out of it to get off. Thats actually what I did with one part that I had to re-do.

Only do plasti dip if you plan on it staying like that (you could always peel it off if its not on too long) and you have a budget. Done right though, it does look awesome on cars. Its a great cheap "mod".

ryankokesh
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I peeled mine off a year later and it was totally fine... I guess I kept it in the garage though, so maybe that makes a difference. I know people hate on it a lot, but I honestly don't think it's a bad solution for certain things.

Beau B
07-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I think the matte paint looks sick on the right car that can support that kind of look, as said above..

Beau

johnrando
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I think the matte paint looks sick on the right car that can support that kind of look, as said above..

Beau

+1. I like it, something different, but I think it has to be the right car.

cakM3
07-06-2012, 07:13 AM
I have to say on a plain stock E46 it will look different but not sure it will look great. I feel with that color, you will need carbon fiber accents (front lip, rear lip, hood, bootlid, and roof panel), an awesome set of wheels, and coilover suspension to make the car look great but that's my opinion :)

If you really want that color then go for it :thumbsup

TT + iPhone4

jayjay_dee
07-06-2012, 07:57 AM
sick M3...

matte blue looks nice because of the CF accents...

UdubBadger
07-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I think matte is cool but too many people doing it now. It's kind of lost it's uniqueness to me

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

M3TA5IN
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
I think to many people do matte black and I also think black looks horrible. I personally love that matte blue M3. I couldn't get the link to open but I am assuming its the matte blue M3 from Thailand with AP carbon exhaust.

You get my vote for that color. I want to do a frozen grey matte. I looked a lot of maintaining matte colors and got a lot of mixed things. Some people said it is a pain, some said it is no different and some said it is easier than maintaining gloss.

ryankokesh
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Here's a reference pic:

http://wrapmania.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/9/6/6396553/4920242_orig.jpg

johnrando
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I think matte is cool but too many people doing it now. It's kind of lost it's uniqueness to me

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Really? Wow, I must be out of touch. That's the first one I've seen in Matte Blue.

ryankokesh
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Seth's just getting in touch with his inner hipster.

http://whitsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/memes-hipster-dr-jones.jpg

GSEN820
07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I think is a great color. It will look really great with the right accents.

It has been mentioned in this thread in order to make it what you really want add the accents. It just wont look right without the accents of CF. The accents and wheels really make this car standout.

I have seen Matte on Cars before and see 1 matte blue on e90. I look for the pics of it. The problem was no accent pieces to make it standout.

webster
07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
there's this E92 M3 in my neighborhood with a Matte paint job, but the color is remarkable. Im not sure what exactly to call it, but it's light blue/green that almost looks silver. it's stunning. i'll get a pic.

as far as the blue goes, personally it looks kinda meh to me. i prefer the metallic...

mLuMaN83
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM

I would agree. Most likely very beefy.

UdubBadger
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Really? Wow, I must be out of touch. That's the first one I've seen in Matte Blue.

Not limited to BMWs

I've seen several matte blue Lambos (my boss is getting one and doing matte blue also) and a lot of Nissan/Honda/Subaru's as well.

Not saying it doesn't look good, just not as "head turner" original as it was 2 yrs ago is all.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Seth's just getting in touch with his inner hipster.

http://whitsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/memes-hipster-dr-jones.jpg

Yeah the rare artifact is you helping me do vanos sometime this decade like u said u would :p

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Newjack
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Extremely relevant information inbound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUzvhhyGR8&feature=player_embedded

tl;dr - If you are going to own a car with a matte finish, be prepared to pamper the crap out of it. You CANT buff or polish any scratches out.

johnrando
07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Great info Rob. After seeing that, no way would I want frozen paint... as OCD as I am about my car at times.

cakM3
07-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Great info Rob. After seeing that, no way would I want frozen paint... as OCD as I am about my car at times.

I agree with you John. Too much TLC involved for that type of paint.....at least for me...

Good info Rob :thumbsup

johnrando
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Yup. It looks good though.

Hi Charlie! :hi

cakM3
07-09-2012, 02:33 AM
I agree... with the right car this would look sick :drool

Hey John :hi

TT + iPhone4

Taliben
07-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Why not matte vinyl wrap? As for colors, I'd go for blue or white.

az3579
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Are you prepared to pay THOUSANDS to get a proper matte paint job? That's what a good quality job goes for nowadays.
Or, you could do a wrap. Personally, I like that color, but I do not like matte finishes mainly because they're dull. I'm not talking about dull looking, as that's subjective; I'm talking about not being reflective and shiny. To me, a shiny car is much more eye-grabbing than a matte car. When I see a matte car, I think to myself "someone forgot the clear coat".

Ryans323i
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Extremely relevant information inbound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUzvhhyGR8&feature=player_embedded

tl;dr - If you are going to own a car with a matte finish, be prepared to pamper the crap out of it. You CANT buff or polish any scratches out.

That is some awesome info Rob, thanks so much for posting. And I agree with John and Charlie, no F'n way! That's absolutely stupid.

Newjack
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm just glad I stumbled upon that video. I had no idea what matte paint was like before watching that.

Ryans323i
07-12-2012, 06:07 AM
I always wondered myself. But the fact you can't correct a scratch at home is ridiculous. And the BMW paint tech's evasiveness about repairing chips makes me believe that a Dr. Colorchip fix is out of the question, if you expect it look good. Then the the knock down sheet was crazy. All painter's should do a knockdown sheet before painting anything, new or respray. But when they showed the major differences in slight adjustments with hardeners, that means a repair is probably going to look like a repair and wont match the original paint.

So I guess if you see someone with a clean frozen paintjob, just assume they're ballers and have the car resprayed every year. :facepalm

johnrando
07-12-2012, 06:36 AM
I always wondered myself. But the fact you can't correct a scratch at home is ridiculous. And the BMW paint tech's evasiveness about repairing chips makes me believe that a Dr. Colorchip fix is out of the question, if you expect it look good. Then the the knock down sheet was crazy. All painter's should do a knockdown sheet before painting anything, new or respray. But when they showed the major differences in slight adjustments with hardeners, that means a repair is probably going to look like a repair and wont match the original paint.

So I guess if you see someone with a clean frozen paintjob, just assume they're ballers and have the car resprayed every year. :facepalm

That's what would scare me. That's a LOT of talk about a LOT of things just to say how to repair a scratch, without a LOT of detail.

DirtyPillows
07-13-2012, 04:34 AM
I've decided to keep the same color. Only because right now I don't believe I can manage to keep the car in good condition especially since I dont have a garage to protect it. But glad to see so many people enjoy the color. :D maybe I'll consider that on the miata I'll be getting soon

UdubBadger
07-13-2012, 05:17 PM
saw a frozen silver e92 M3 being delivered today while I was getting supplies at one of the local dealerships. Looked hella good.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532093_626845845883_1867370680_n.jpg

ryankokesh
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
:drool