PDA

View Full Version : Oil drip issue

Kudos
07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
4844I noticed that i'm getting some oil and trying to check from where. i did have VCG replaced along with a vanos rebuild last year, and i cleaned the area around there so it doesnt' look like it's coming from that area. What is right below the vanos unit is has 2 plus on the left and its immediately to the right of the bend in the condensor pipes??

danewilson77
07-06-2012, 01:54 AM
That looks like exhaust cps (camshaft position sensor)

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

telijah
07-06-2012, 04:23 AM
If you're talking about the silver cylinder, its one of two VANOS solenoid valves, #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AV53&mospid=47725&btnr=11_2170&hg=11&fg=15. You'll notice the quantity listed for parts 2, 3, and 4 are 2. It's a bit misleading since the realoem image doesn't show both in in the parts explosion.

One goes into the "back" of the VANOS housing (side facing the firewall) and the other goes into the passenger side of the housing, where you circled your image.

danewilson77
07-06-2012, 04:33 AM
If you're talking about the silver cylinder, its one of two VANOS solenoid valves, #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AV53&mospid=47725&btnr=11_2170& hg=11&fg=15. You'll notice the quantity listed for parts 2, 3, and 4 are 2. It's a bit misleading since the realoem image doesn't show both in in the parts explosion.

One goes into the "back" of the VANOS housing (side facing the firewall) and the other goes into the passenger side of the housing, where you circled your image.

^ that.

kayger12
07-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Have a look here. Most likely your CPS o-ring.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6832-M54-Oil-Leak-Front-of-Motor

telijah
07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, the size of the circle would seem the OP is not indicating the small black CPS, and the fact that VANOS was recently done (relatively), it could be just a faulty seal on the solenoid. Kudos, where'd ya go!?

danewilson77
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, the size of the circle would seem the OP is not indicating the small black CPS, and the fact that VANOS was recently done (relatively), it could be just a faulty seal on the solenoid. Kudos, where'd ya go!?

Lol....I think we have it narrowed down to two possible sources.

kayger12
07-06-2012, 12:06 PM

The oil that leaks from the cps o-ring gets blown up all over the solenoid.

I thought my leak was from the solenoid, but it wasn't.

From the research I did, it seemed the cps o-ring was the most likely (and cheapest) issue.

Certainly could be the solenoid, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kudos
07-07-2012, 07:00 AM
I went to a reputable shop in Chicago, A&L autobody. They subcontract a BMW tech from the local dealship to do the work. looks like i'll do the cheapest fix first and see if that fixes it. when i wiped all of the dirt up, i could see clean oil residue, not just dirt so it must be leaking from somewhere. i'll let you guys know how it goes..