PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side mirror tilt inop.

CERF04ZHP
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Put it in reverse, mirror adjustment selector switch is in the left position, passenger side mirror does not tilt down.
Ideas?
Thanks fam.

Sent from my PDA with a 1.5 GHz brain.

derbo
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Can you adjust the mirror positions on both sides?

My passenger mirrors was inoperative and I found out I had a problem with my driver mirror motor was bad.

I would at least pull codes and see if you can see how many times it has faulted the LIN bus on the passenger side and see if it is present. Try a working known adjustment switch would be nice too before you spend major dollars for the mirror motor.

CERF04ZHP
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
True. Driver's side mirror has full range of motion. All started after my brother was house-sitting last weekend and asked if he could drive my car!

wsmeyer
07-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Have you checked if your reverse lights are coming on?

William.

az3579
07-27-2012, 01:25 AM
The motor is bad. My passenger side mirror did the same thing when I bought the car. New motor, in it went, problem fixed.

cakM3
07-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Channing, not that BP needs confirmation because he has gone through this....I haven't....yet...

With that said, I have to agree with BP....sounds like your mirror motor is shot. It will be a PITA to replace because you will have to take apart your mirror and thread the new ribbon through the mirror and reconnect everything ( time to do the ///M3 side mirror retrofit :) )

You're going to have lots of fun replacing that motor in your original mirror housing....

Meric
07-27-2012, 08:50 AM
I have extra motor came from 01 coupe..

cakM3
07-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Meric,

If your mirror motor does not have the flat white ribbon cables then it won't be compatible with the sedan mirrors. When I helped a forum member convert his vert side mirrors to the OEM ///M3 side mirrors we transferred his original mirror motors over and they were very different from the sedan motors. Just an FIY...

Meric
07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Oh sh!t i didnt know about ribbon cables.

Jesse M
07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I found out that if i have the selector switch in the passenger position, the mirror doesn't go down when shifting ino reverse. Switched it over to the drivers side and it works fine. Might be worth checking instead of buying a new motor first.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk.

az3579
07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
You're going to have lots of fun replacing that motor in your original mirror housing....

It's really not that bad. Just takes a little time.

RITmusic2k
07-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Has it always been this way, and can the mirror be adjusted as normal with the switch in the right position?

rdhamill
01-17-2014, 12:05 PM
My mirrors have started to act up as well. They have a mind of their own and move around when ever they like and at will.
on the drivers side the switch seems to move the mirror, but they directional control is sporadic. Up can often move the mirror down, left can be right.
The right mirror is worse, and just seems to like to go all the way out no matter what I try to do.
I have taken the driver side apart and inspected the ribbon cable, which looks fine.

I discovered that at some times the control operates the right mirror even if the selector switch is in the left position, but this does not last long.
Based on this I suspect that the switch is the best place to start, before I switch motors.

Any advice from those who have been down this road???
( car is 2005 330I, sedan )

thanks

Oli77
01-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Yep, sounds more like the controls for the motors than the motors themselves (since they operate, although sporadically).
I have never taken that little switch apart but sure some of the members here have.
Good luck.

PS: my mirror did not raise back up after a reverse the other day. After another cycle it went back to its normal resting place. Maybe I am developing mirror issues as well.

derbo
01-18-2014, 08:48 AM
My right mirror wouldn't go back up and I couldn't adjust my driver side or passenger side. Turns out it was my passenger ribbon that failed.

sent from Moto X Dev Edition