PDA

View Full Version : Roaming car

Asiah119
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I've noticed a not so fun habit of my car. More than once, I have left my car in front of my house; E-brake set, in second gear. I have come back to find my car several feet further down the street from where I left it.

For many reasons which shouldn't need enumeration I need to make sure this stops happening.

I know that if I leave my car just in gear it will roll a bit (I live on a hill, but it's not significantly steep). I do'nt (think; I expect I would notice any) clutch slip; I'm guessing that the hill is just enough to get the engine to turn? I don't get that part. But with the e-brake I can pretty easily pull it up so far that it moves the arm rest; I'm supposing that is indicative of some looseness.

So, mafiosos, what do you say?

JupiterBMW
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, an immediate fix would be to park the car in 1st gear or reverse. They are much lower and the reverse torque needed to turn the engine will be much greater, therefore making it harder for the car to roll down the hill. But yes, I would get the e-brake adjusted as it should definitely hold. I know that if I get 3-4 clicks on mine, it has a tendency to roll, but with a little extra grunt, I get one more click and it holds secure. I park in neutral too.

UdubBadger
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
There is just a simple cable to tighten up the eBrake. Mine did the same thing when I purchased it and I had it tightened right away at the shop I use because I don't park in gear either (like Jon).

danewilson77
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I recommend adjusting the e-brake, then always parking in 1st gear.

Asiah119
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
yeah there is a cable to tighten up the eBrake. Mine did the same thing when I purchased it and I had it tightened right away at the shop I use because I don't park in gear.

Is the adjustment at the handle or at the physical brake? Do you have a DIY to toss at me, or link?

danewilson77
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Is the adjustment at the handle or at the physical brake? Do you have a DIY to toss at me, or link?

It's at both locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DpC0lXHP5o

Decent DIY here as well.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1684596

UdubBadger
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
My DIY is drive to nearest shop and let them do it for you. My guy didn't even charge me.

If you're inclined to fix yourself, see here http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment.htm

Oli77
08-08-2012, 02:41 PM
If you do it yourself as indicated in the post above (very easy rear wheel approach), make sure to tighten both sides to the same degree.

Try and count how many "turns" you are tightening. That way, when you hit the hand brake, the car won't dip more on one side in the back (ask me how I know).

Asiah119
08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Well I can say that it certainly feels like only one side is grabbing when I have the brake on. It looks like I have a project for myself tomorrow.

Thanks, Jon, Dane, Udub and Oli

telijah
08-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Along the line of what Oli said and what you jsut posted, you may have them not "balanced" right. You'll want to loosen the cables in the cabin, then adjust both sides until they are tight on the rotors... you may want to loosen/tighten both sides until they both are just free of the rotor, then tighten counting the amount of turns you put on the adjustment gear (cog?). Then tighten your cabin cables.

Asiah119
08-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I just finished the adjustment. It was a challenge to turn the turnbuckle through the lug hole and pretty impossible to get an accurate gauge on how many turns I did to both. Also, I'm positive of what Telijah mentioned about them not being balanced. When I would set the brake before I could tell that only one side was grabbing. I just tightened both sides to the point where the shoes where rubbing, and then backed them off to where they had just stopped. There was much less slack in the lever but it was still a little loose; it also felt like one side was grabbing more than the other. I just started tightening down the lock-nuts at the lever until both sides felt like they were engaging. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I was hot; I can also go back later and get it more even.

Overall. An easy project. I'm also glad that I got the tool set with the deep sockets because I needed them today.

Oli77
08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Good job!, see if roams anymore.. .

webster
08-15-2012, 06:39 AM
My DIY is drive to nearest shop and let them do it for you. My guy didn't even charge me.

+1, i had my parking brake adjusted a few months ago at the shop, done free as a courtesy since i get all my major work there.

i always park in 1st with the brake on.

llll1l1ll
08-15-2012, 07:45 AM
When trying to gain access to the little cog, is it bad to jack up only one rear wheel and then turn that wheel? I know the car doesn't have an LSD, but I don't wanna mess anything up by turning a wheel to access a cog.

telijah
08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Short answer: No

Oli77
08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
No, that's the way to do it.

llll1l1ll
08-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Alright cool. I really don't have the facilities to jack both rear wheels up at the same time.

danewilson77
08-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Alright cool. I really don't have the facilities to jack both rear wheels up at the same time.

All you need is one jack ;o)

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

llll1l1ll
08-16-2012, 04:40 AM
That is true! Oh well, the less work I have to do (meaning if I don't need to put both wheels up at once), the happier I am.