PDA

View Full Version : TPMS bafflement....

Washburn
08-31-2012, 08:03 AM
The following scenario has taken place for the 4th time, and i think it's time to address it:

1st, the background info:
car has only 33k miles
tires (stock staggered sizes) have about 6-7 k miles. (conti DWS)
no strange ride behavior/noises/shakes, etc.
original battery (because i have read that an old battery can do weird stuff, but i doubt it in this case)

here's what happens:

How often this happens: about every 7th/8th time i drive the car, and this interval seems pretty consistent.
and always within 5-10 min of driving. so pretty much at the exact spot after leaving home.

TPMS light comes on dash RED, and i hit the TPMS reset button (while still moving) and it turns yellow and then goes off.
I check the air pressure: the very 1st time this happened, one tire did look low, and was about 2-3 PSI low, so i thought that must have been it. I brought all 4 tires up to recommended pressures.
Then i re-set the TPMS according to manual.

Everything fine for the next 5-6 times I drive it.

Then the same thing happens - same routine. and then I began to notice the air pressues were all ok when this happens, and i check out the tires: no nails, nothing that could point to a slow leak.

so yesterday I was driving to the Firestone place to get the car inspected (state inspection) and the same thing happened and I again turned the light off by pushing the reset button. during the inspection i told them to check tires well, and they didn't see anything wrong with them or pressure. all was ok.

They did know that this car has the TPMS that uses differences in rotational speeds of the tires rather than actual air pressures to trigger the TPMS light. They said if the light had been on, they could have hooked it up to the computer and it would have told them which tire/wheel triggered the light - or which wheel has a problem that causes it to turn slower/faster than others (is that true? can they really do that? even with this type of system, does each wheel have some speed sensor ???)

What can this be?
something wrong with a wheel? wheel bearing? on this 'young' of a car?
if wheels have individual sensors, a sensor gone south?

what would you guys do next?

Thanks in advance.

danewilson77
08-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Your car is no longer under CPO warranty?

Washburn
08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
No.

Crickett
08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Could definitely be a wheel speed sensor issue. Yes, each wheel has a speed sensor that is part of the ABS system; a shop with a GT1 or someone with DIS/INPA on a laptop (like me!) can run diagnostics on the sensors to see if one's gone bad.

Washburn
09-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks !!! wish so much someone with that SF lived near me :(
but that's good news that a shop with GT1 can diagnose it -

so in order to do that, will the TPMS light have to be on again ?

Crickett
09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks !!! wish so much someone with that SF lived near me :(
but that's good news that a shop with GT1 can diagnose it -

so in order to do that, will the TPMS light have to be on again ?

Not to check wheel speed sensors; the diagnostic can read out current indicated speed at each wheel regardless of errors thrown. Should be obvious if one (or more) sensor is faulty.

Washburn
09-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Ok.. Thanks a lot...
makes me feel relieved, just to know that there's a way to at least diagnose this....

Washburn
09-09-2012, 07:29 AM
well today the TPMS went off again !! AND one of tires DID look flat and needed quite a bit of air to get up to recc'd level...so i checked that tire thoroughly..

then i saw THIS: IDK weather it's a weird shaped nail head or a sharp stone but it's in there DEEP -
did the tire place miss this when they checked it? (or did they ever check the tires...) ...is the TPMS right after all, or did i just pick this nail/stone up?

Take a look and see what you think....

danewilson77
09-09-2012, 07:36 AM
TPMS is correct. Probably gotta slow leaker.

cakM3
09-11-2012, 03:32 AM
OP, from the pic it looks like a nail in your tire causing the leak. I don't think there's a problem with your TPMS.

Washburn
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
UPDATE: you guys and TPMS were right: it's a nail and it's a leak.
Worse: The tire can't be patched, and side wall is 'damaged' according to the Firestone tech - have to get ONE new Conti DWS tire (rear) - I hate that! Ugh!

At least the other 3 tires are not THAT old - they only have about 7-8k miles on them, so the difference in age is not huge, but still...

Palindrome
09-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Do all ZHPs have TPMS?

danewilson77
10-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Do all ZHPs have TPMS?

No.

sketchyd
10-01-2012, 05:36 PM
UPDATE: you guys and TPMS were right: it's a nail and it's a leak.
Worse: The tire can't be patched, and side wall is 'damaged' according to the Firestone tech - have to get ONE new Conti DWS tire (rear) - I hate that! Ugh!

At least the other 3 tires are not THAT old - they only have about 7-8k miles on them, so the difference in age is not huge, but still...

that's horseshit. i'd plug it, if you haven't been driving on a flat tire, there's little chance that damaged the sidewall.

Washburn
10-06-2012, 09:32 AM
unfortunately I MIGHT have driven a BIT on that tire, although it wasn't fully flat - I just put air in it several times and kept driving :(