PDA

View Full Version : Any other family members have/had the chirping HVAC?

NorCalZman
09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I havent seen any other posts on here about it. Mine has done it since I got the car and it has been driving me insane whenever I drive it. I got a quote of over 900 bucks at a BMW dealer AND a BMW indie shop. Part of the price comes from the price of the E46 blower motor from BMW, which is like over 400 or 500 bucks. But the one from the X3 works perfectly and its only a bit over 100! Not sure how BMW figures identical parts are so different in cost. I found a guy on e46fanatics who was local and had just done the repair on his earlier model coupe. He offered to provide his tools, driveway, and know how to help me change mine in under 2 hours. For anyone with this problem, the DIY and part number for the cheaper blower motor is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418987

Via PA Soft, He even helped me code my car to turn off my DTRL, and we tried to figure out how to activate the voice command on my new Bluetooth TCU but couldnt find the right boxes to check. Ah well. And finally, he removed a new large scuff that I discovered on my rear wheel well this morning with something called Meguiars Scratch X2.0. Amazing stuff. It was a awful scuff. Ruined my morning until he fixed it. Stand up guy!

Crestwood1001
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Never heard of that issue, but it's good to hear there are some decent members remaining on tht forum, most of them are douche bags (excuse my language)

UdubBadger
09-08-2012, 07:13 PM
is this where it makes that horrid noise when it's not spinning over 50% fan speed?

If so, yes, it drives me nuts.

NorCalZman
09-08-2012, 07:31 PM
It is horrid. It sounds like a bird chirping or maybe little mouse squeaks. Ive heard some people make say theirs makes a groaning noise. My noise went away when i turned it up to full blast. It really gets under your skin after awhile, huh.

you don't have to live with it though! Honestly is was a easy fix. The hardest part was making sure not to drop the lil screws deep into the car. And with the knowledge that the cheaper x3 HVAC blower works, its not expensive either

Pip
09-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I have this and the crickets in my dash. I've held off on this fix because it was expensive but now maybe I'll give it a shot. Crickets were a pretty easy fix as well.

Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Sean what were the cause/fix of the dash squeek?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Pip
09-09-2012, 02:44 PM
The cause is the ecu module fan that sits in the footwell near your dead pedal. It blows air through the ecu box under the hood near the firewall on the driver side. It is roughly $80 and not worth trying to fix. I took mine out, cleaned it, dry lubed it and a week later the squeak was back but not as bad.

I bought a new fan and will replace and make a short DIY to help others out. It has been done before but a couple DIYs kept me guessing what to do or how to remove the fan cable.

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM
ah ok, mine squeeks near the passenger side of the windshield / a pillar

Pip
09-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Yea I get that squeak as well but only every once in a while on low fan speeds. The dash one is more like a high pitched electronic sound or cricket.

jayjay_dee
09-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Squeaks, rattles, chirps... they are killing me...

I will hunt them down and fix them one by one...

Thanks for the link.

LOL...

WOLFN8TR
09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
If its the belt chirping or squeaking just use a bar of soap on it. It works like a charm! My dad showed me this trick. You have to do it while the engine is running so becareful.

prowlerflyer
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
If its the belt chirping or squeaking just use a bar of soap on it. It works like a charm! My dad showed me this trick. You have to do it while the engine is running so becareful.

Ivory or Lifeboy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WOLFN8TR
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Dove