PDA

View Full Version : Possible clutch issue?

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
I think my clutch is having issues.

Feels like the friction point is higher than normal when releasing it in gear. Also on start up it has been slipping (almost feels like the tires slipping) a touch the first few times through the gears. I guess it just feels fragile to put it best.

What should I look for here as a sign of needing to consider replacing it or bleeding the line or something?

Could it just be environmental (colder weather coming in and dew in the AM)?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
09-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Have you tried taking off in 6th?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
no, I assume it would just stall right?

It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping out of gear or anything, just like the pedal isn't making contact as well as it feels a lot looser and instead of the friction point being with the clutch depressed 70% to the floor, it moved up to being depressed 30-40%.

nike001
09-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Ride it out.

Has anyone new driven the car recently? The clutch could be scarred a bit and it will eventually even out. This happened to me while taking my car to get inspected about a year ago. Apparently they need to 'road test' cars up here and when he came back after his test, my car's clutch felt like yours. I assumed it was because he didn't know how to drive my car and it's engagement point and eded up burning/slipping my clutch.It eventually returned to normal. Give it about 3-5 days with normal driving and report back.

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
k, just nervous.

das boots
09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
When my E39 went in for a service at the dealer at 98K mi, one of the things to do soon on the write-up was the clutch was slipping. Since this is my SO's DD, I had to jump on this ASAP. I got all of the parts together and had my trusty BMW tech do the replacement. After replacement, he mentioned that the clutch did not have to be replaced since it was still thick and was probably good for another 30K. I was really PO'ed for an unnecessary expense. Dealer was probably trying to get me back to them to do a clutch job. Avoid San Diego BMW at all cost. Sorry to jack your thread.

UdubBadger
09-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Nope no worries it's good to know

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
weird, clutch felt fine today, no slipping either.

echo46
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
As DW suggested, try starting in 6th. If the car starts moving, your fine.

nike001
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
weird, clutch felt fine today, no slipping either.

:) told ya