PDA

View Full Version : So my diff fell down...

Jlastor
10-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Yup, my e46 M3 diff actually fell while driving. Thankfully no mayor damage, $150 got it solved in a single day.

Apparently the M3 has a common failure at the diff cover bushings, which no body (not blaming you guys) told me I should have changed them before the whole process of installation. In the e36 the bushings can be replaced for $11 each, while in the e46 the entire cover has to be replaced because BMW wont sell the bushings separately.

The scary part was when it actually fell because I was on the highway and the car started shaking very hard whenever I would touch the gas. Since I could not stop to check, and I was near my mechanic, I got to his house thinking the worst; new diff, new carrier, new axles, cracked panels, sell the car. He told me that he could get the part from the dealership at $150 (instead of the $365 that would have cost me if I went by myself), and he would not charge me because he had forgotten to suggest me changing it the first time. Fortunately the part was available and later that day I was on my way again.

Now the car feels even better than before, and I am happy no other damage was done, and I can keep the car.

Pic of the "carnage"

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/MrJohn/diffcover_zpsefdf113f.jpg

So, if you are planning on doing the M3 diff swap, take this into consideration. You can also buy solid bushings, or polyurethane bushings, and reuse the diff cover; but that is more race oriented.

Hornung418
10-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Wow...that's crazy.

This post brought to you by Uncle Clark's Anti-gravity Cream. Put some on your Super Collider just before the Big Bang.

johnrando
10-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Dang, so THAT's what I forgot to mention! (Sorry, bad joke). I can only say that because everything came out ok. Wow, as Justin said, that is CRAZY!

zhpnsnv
10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
What, you couldn't anticipate something like that? One time my engine fell out, so I swerved right, popped the hood, caught it, then flipped it back in its bay all in one fell swoop.

It was pretty sick, actually.

:)

Glad you and the car are okay!

Ryans323i
10-02-2012, 09:44 AM
What, you couldn't anticipate something like that? One time my engine fell out, so I swerved right, popped the hood, caught it, then flipped it back in its bay all in one fell swoop.

It was pretty sick, actually.

:)

Glad you and the car are okay!

Maybe not the best post while trying to sell your car. But fwiw, i saw you do this and it WAS awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

zhpnsnv
10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
It wasn't the ZHP engine, silly. I couldn't lift that whilst driving! Jeesh, the imagination on you!

It was my MINI's engine! Duh!

Ryans323i
10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
It wasn't the ZHP engine, silly. I couldn't lift that whilst driving! Jeesh, the imagination on you!

It was my MINI's engine! Duh!

Oh werd. :word

Sent from my DROID RAZR