PDA

View Full Version : Software upgrade and CAI

JKO_ZHP
10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I've done some Googling online and came up with this: Jim Conforti Shark Injector or Dinan stage 2 software
And as for cold air intake, there's BMW Performance of course, aFe stages 1 and 2, Injen, K&N, and Dinan*.

*Dinan's product page notes that there's a secondary intake duct that routes the air from the brake cooling duct - I have replica Hamann fog duct covers, would these potentially be able to connect?

Mine's an auto, but I read somewhere that there's a Shark injector for autos as well but I'm also considering getting a CAI. Which of the two would be the best combination? In terms of cost, performance, and compatibility?

UdubBadger
10-06-2012, 05:34 AM
There is a third option....

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Third option you say? Why that's unpossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermes
10-06-2012, 09:06 AM
the rumor of Shark for auto is just that, a rumor. Get Seth's option, Dinan is overpriced

as for your intake question you should have no problem, what you have to modify is the actual brake duct (cut a hole in the top of it) which won't affect the Hamann replicas

WOLFN8TR
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Tuning- Conforti Shark Injector, Dinan stage 2 software and Eurocharged?

Cold air intake- BMW Performance, aFe stages 1 & 2, Injen, K&N, Dinan* or K&N drop in filter.

I'm thinking of just doing a K&N drop in filter and Eurocharged.
Not planning on any other mods, what are your guys thoughts?

UdubBadger
10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
sounds solid to me

JKO_ZHP
10-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Just found another one: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308831

sna77
10-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I have Dinan stage 3, which is: intake, throttle body, exhaust and software. Most expensive option of everything listed above... yet the best IMO. For me, paying for a suite of products that were designed to work together, and include a warranty, is the way to go...

Plus Dinan has a huge 20% off sale every spring. Start saving. :)

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5481&stc=1&d=1345416950

http://bigpatsfans.com/dinana.jpg

UdubBadger
10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm biased but I have NOT heard good things about Powerchip. I would research that option HEAVILY if you intend on considering it.

Junior2552
10-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I have Dinan stage 3, which is: intake, throttle body, exhaust and software. Most expensive option of everything listed above... yet the best IMO. For me, paying for a suite of products that were designed to work together, and include a warranty, is the way to go...

Plus Dinan has a huge 20% off sale every spring. Start saving. :)
I've never been a fan of Dinan stuff. You literally pay for the name. Active does great tuning, and you can use their software on your computer (though it's more money than a Cobb Accessport to get it from Khoalty). The Shark chip is a bit of a joke, and I think maybe some research would do you well, OP. There are plenty of DIY intakes out there that work just as well; don't be scared to try them out. $250 for a box and a filter is ridiculous and just because it's for a BMW is not justification for price. Get your hands dirty!

Edit: Don't get me wrong: spend good money where good money is deserved. Just don't pay for a name. I just dropped $2,000 on a new brand of coils for my car. The intake and exhaust are stock because the car is plenty fast. Small upgrades in drive stability can really quicken up your whip.