PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor tire pads

prowlerflyer
10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Where is a good place to get pads to go under the tires when parked the garage? I have a nice epoxy coated floor and want to prevent the tires from pulling it up? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

telijah
10-08-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure I've even heard what you're talking about, but if you're looking to just protect the floor coating, why not get a set of cheap floor mats to throw down there?

JupiterBMW
10-08-2012, 06:01 AM
I recently did the epoxy coating on my garage floor, and I have to say... If the coating was installed correctly (proper prep work to the concrete and application) then the tires should have NO effect on the floor.

Otherwise, yes, cheap floor mats looks like a good option. :thumbsup

prowlerflyer
10-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Yep, I actually have rubber door mats under the ZHP's tires right now, but was wondering if that was a bit low brow... It's a good quality epoxy, not the best, but good. The warranty says that tires can peel it up, particularity high performance ones.

I did find some mats on Griot's Garage, of course they're pricey for what they are. Looks like more rubber door mats may be the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

telijah
10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Unless you're running a museum or something, I do not find it to be low brow at all if it is purely for protecting the epoxy. As mentioned by Jupiter though, a buddy of mine has an epoxy floor as well, and we work on cars in his garage all the time with no ill effect to the floor.

JupiterBMW
10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Yep... I was a little concerned with the sharp edges of my jackstands when I put the car up, but its been fine, no chips or cracks... Certainly tires shouldn't affect it.

BCS_ZHP
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
The guys that came by Virginia this past weekend and went by my work can attest to this. If you leave a tire sitting for a long time, the petroleum in that tire will confine to gravity and leak out of the bottom of the tire. My showroom floor has a tire pattern (did anyone take a photo?) caused by me leaving 15 ton vehicles sitting stationary for weeks or months at a time. I've never had an epoxy peeling problem even with all of that weight.

JupiterBMW
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM
That's good to hear because my ZHP is sitting stationary on my floor for 2 months, maybe a little longer!

danewilson77
10-09-2012, 04:30 AM
The guys that came by Virginia this past weekend and went by my work can attest to this. If you leave a tire sitting for a long time, the petroleum in that tire will confine to gravity and leak out of the bottom of the tire. My showroom floor has a tire pattern (did anyone take a photo?) caused by me leaving 15 ton vehicles sitting stationary for weeks or months at a time. I've never had an epoxy peeling problem even with all of that weight.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG1789.jpg

telijah
10-09-2012, 05:14 AM
...do you have a photo for everything?!

danewilson77
10-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Just about..hehe.