PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Thought - ZHP to X1

jsfbmw
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I know, it's not apples to apples. it's even sacrilege to compare manual ZHP with an auto X1. I've had my ZHP coupe for 4+ years and it has been perfect (knocking on wood). Handling, performance, utility, fuel economy are great. I'm now at point, however, the car is 7 years old and at 107k plus miles, where maintenance items are due - tune, FCABs, brakes, cooling, some paint. To say nothing of "surprises".

I am active with outdoor activities - biking, hiking, touring, photography, and looked at the new X1. It has a wheelbase like the E46, is a little bit heavier, has more room, and has a 240hp/260ft-lbs torque engine. I test drove it an it is very, very nice.

My dealer has a special sale and the numbers are very attractive. They are knocking $1600 to $2000 off list, plus BMW incentives. Keeping the ZHP and spending maintenance $ is less ultimately than leasing the X1 over a 3-year period. However, the $ outlay is peaky with the ZHP but steady with the X1.

Is there any sane reason to consider selling the ZHP and getting the X1?

Putting my foot into the throttle of the ZHP when entering a curve is terrific. There's almost nothing it doesn't do. The X1 offiers a more solid structure, and falls short via the auto, run-flats, more weight, no dip stick, etc.

Am I nuts?

JupiterBMW
10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I say absolutely not. Granted, my experience is VERY close, but not exact... I didn't go from the ZHP to our X3, but I do own and drive both regularly. While I love the ZHP and the pure simplicity of the car, the X3 is sooo wonderful to drive. Everything is just right. Granted, we bought an X3, not an X1, and the size difference is quite a bit (I looked at an X1 recently)... We also added $10k in upgrades, part of which is the M-Sport package, and we also started with the 35i (the turbo 3.0 vs. the non-turbo 3.0, or the turbo 2.0 in the 2013+ models)... So, we have 300hp/300tq, but still, I've driven a new 328i and it is definitely not a slouch.

If you can cope with the fact that you'll no longer be in a "special/rare-ish" BMW and now in a mainstream "dime a dozen" BMW, then I say go for it. You've already outlined the cost over time aspect of it, so no need to mention that.

The new BMWs are VERY VERY nice, still plenty sporty and just so refined. I really love our new X3 and if I had to give up the ZHP, I would be ok with that. There are probably a million people that will reply how BMW has gone soft, their new cars aren't purist cars, etc etc etc... But let's be realistic here, what "BMW driving enthusiast" buys an X1 because its the ONE BMW that they just HAVE to have...? NONE... Purist owners buy purist models... The other 95% of the world buys all the other models... That does not mean BMW is going soft...

And for the record, I still think my X3 would beat the ZHP in a race... I'm almost sure of it.

zhpnsnv
10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Your X3 would most likely trounce a ZHP in a race.

OP - you're not nuts - needs and preferences change. Go with it!

On the X1, look to pay a few hundred over invoice. To calculate invoice, go to truecar.com or just subtract 7% from MSRP. Paying a tad over invoice ensures the dealership still makes money. Well, paying under invoice guarantees them profit, too, but most are unwilling to dip below that #.

JupiterBMW
10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah, the X3 is surprisingly aggressive when you really lay into it... And such an awesome "grunt" when it shifts... Devlin can attest...

Oh and Marc... I see an M-Sport in your sig... I'm calling dibs if you plan to get rid of that shift knob... :biggrin

jsfbmw
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks to all for you immediate feedback. There are a few X1s on the dealer's lot that are close to what I would order. None, however, have an upgraded stereo. :-( But, in general with their sale plus BMW's incentive ($1000), loyalty ($750), and dealer coupon ($200), I'm looking at $3600 to $4000 below MSRP. This is about 10%. I just don't know if I could live with an auto day-in and day-out.

I learned on a 2002, had a 320i, then an E30, E39, E90, and now an E46. Big down-side is that I can't put the X1 on the track. Can autocross it.

Will take another test drive.

zhpnsnv
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh and Marc... I see an M-Sport in your sig... I'm calling dibs if you plan to get rid of that shift knob... :biggrin

I like the ZHP knob much better than the stock m-sport. What kind of condition is your ZHP knob in? If it's a 1:1 swap, then I'll be down for that.

Thanks to all for you immediate feedback. There are a few X1s on the dealer's lot that are close to what I would order. None, however, have an upgraded stereo. :-( But, in general with their sale plus BMW's incentive ($1000), loyalty ($750), and dealer coupon ($200), I'm looking at $3600 to $4000 below MSRP. This is about 10%. I just don't know if I could live with an auto day-in and day-out.

I learned on a 2002, had a 320i, then an E30, E39, E90, and now an E46. Big down-side is that I can't put the X1 on the track. Can autocross it.

Looks like the pricing is right. Looks like the X1 can't be had in MT, but it CAN be had in Valencia Orange! Not gonna lie, that sort of takes the lure of VO away for me.

cakM3
10-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Honestly jsf... I would get the X3. I had one as a loaner for a week a few years ago and had the 3.0 and it was a blast to drive. I found it to be the perfect size....not too small and not too big....just right! :)

Seriously, it depends on what your needs are but if you list all the pros and cons between your ZHP and the X1 you can easily determine which path to go :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Honestly, we didn't get the upgraded sound system in our X3, and frankly, I don't miss it ONE bit... Seriously, spend that money on other, better upgrades. For instance, get the Premium package, and perhaps look into the Lighting package. It kind of sucks that you have to add those features on (at least on the 28i, perhaps not the 35i)...

As for autocross, not true. There is a guy on Bimmerpost (in the X3 section) that was autocrossing. He had a '12 X3 M Sport (basically, same as the one in my sig) and he was autocrossing it a lot. Lowered, 20" rims with good tires, and a mild tune... Siiiiiick looking too. :)

I like the ZHP knob much better than the stock m-sport. What kind of condition is your ZHP knob in? If it's a 1:1 swap, then I'll be down for that.

Looks like the pricing is right. Looks like the X1 can't be had in MT, but it CAN be had in Valencia Orange! Not gonna lie, that sort of takes the lure of VO away for me.

My ZHP knob is in great shape. I can try and have my wife take a photo (I'm away on the ship for another few weeks) if you'd like... And yes, 1:1 would be fine with me. I don't see myself going back to the ZHP knob, its too plain for me. Reeeally want the M Sport perf. leather knob.

Honestly jsf... I would get the X3. I had one as a loaner for a week a few years ago and had the 3.0 and it was a blast to drive. I found it to be the perfect size....not too small and not too big....just right! :)

Seriously, it depends on what your needs are but if you list all the pros and cons between your ZHP and the X1 you can easily determine which path to go :thumbsup

Shit Charlie, if you liked the old X3, then you'd LOVE the new one. The new F series X cars are simply amazing compared to the older ones, especially the X3. The new F series X3 is a little bigger as well. I agree it is a great size for everyday... The X5 is a little better when you have kids, as we already feel like the seat position is cramped with the baby seat in back... But, for everyday, the X3 is great. I found the X1 to be a little too small to put anyone in the back seat... I think the X1 is great for single people that want a little utility...

Good luck with the purchase. I highly recommend it. Ironically, the X1 that was at my local dealer was an Alpine White M-Sport version... :drool

328ioc
10-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Yeah, the X3 is surprisingly aggressive when you really lay into it... And such an awesome "grunt" when it shifts... Devlin can attest...

I can infact attest. The X3 was fairly quick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
10-10-2012, 04:27 AM
I will add that if I "were" in the market for an SAV then the X3 would be the one I would get....possibly the AW M-Sport version if I can get one...:)

webster
10-10-2012, 06:13 AM
i will provide the counterpoint here. if you are outdoorsy/active and want an SUV to suit, might as well go all the way and get a Jeep or a 4Runner with some decent 4WD capabilities. BMW SUVs just don't make sense to me, not that they are bad cars, but SUVs as a category of vehicle fall outside the realm of 'ultimate driving machine' to me. if you're looking for fun to drive utility, get a wagon.

BRGcoopahS
10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I personally say no. On the simple basis that the X1 looks like a Rav 4. Worst BMW design since the bangle butt. It looks more like a cheap appliance than it does a premium car. I could never buy a car (or anything relatively expensive) if I dont like the way it looks.

The X3 however, is a great looking small SUV.

nike001
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
The BMW X1 variant is supposedly selling very well.

I wouldn't get one though. I was driving my moms f30 328 the past few days and while it's engine is more powerful and has freaking awesome linear power in both hp/tq, I couldn't wait to get back to my ZHP. You don't realize how good your car is until you drive something else and return to your zhp a few days later..

midlandtech
10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
If i were in your shoes I think I would look into a cheapish jeep that way you have both... But that's just me

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Not a bad idea. You'd have to factor in double insurance, double maintenance, but the maint would be less due to less mileage. So, go cheap enough and have both!

webster
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
If i were in your shoes I think I would look into a cheapish jeep that way you have both... But that's just me

~Steve

yeah a cheap Jeep is not a bad idea. my girl's car is an 02 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD. yeah yeah, the Liberty is a chick car, but the thing is a tank and performs great at the beach/off road. aside from the crappy window regulators (sound familiar?) and horrible OEM stereo, her car has been rock solid.

midlandtech
10-10-2012, 12:39 PM
yeah a cheap Jeep is not a bad idea. my girl's car is an 02 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD. yeah yeah, the Liberty is a chick car, but the thing is a tank and performs great at the beach/off road. aside from the crappy window regulators (sound familiar?) and horrible OEM stereo, her car has been rock solid.

My wife has an escape that performs similarly. Peppy little SUV and is unstoppable in the snow

~Steve