PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive D2S Xenons Not Working

JKO_ZHP
10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I've had this problem for a while now but nobody seems to know what the issue is and I'm not too savvy on how to take anything apart to see what's going on.
Originally, whenever I turned on my headlights I would notice the lights would dip down, then back up. Self-checking feature or something, I'm not really sure what it's called. And whenever I would go up a hill, the lights would automatically incline a little and the opposite for once I hit level ground.

I had an experienced professional bake open my lights and take them apart to install the Orion V2's but ever since they were installed, my lights have stopped self-checking. (Since May) Whenever I turn on my headlights at night, they just come on and stay level - if anything, it's looks as if they are aimed a little lower than level.

The guy said he'd be willing to take apart the lights and tinker with them to try and find out what caused them to stop self-checking but I never did that since I didn't want to risk something else going wrong. I never did anything since then because they weren't mis-aimed off to the side or anything, but I'd like to be able to get to the bottom of this and have that feature back.

Anybody know what may have caused it to stop working?

zj96sc
10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I'd make sure all the wires are plugged back in...into the headlight itself and also inside the headlight. Unlikely that both auto-level motors failed at the same time, but by the same token unlikely that plugs were missed on both headlights. hmm...

Also I'm pretty sure "adaptive" xenons refers to left/right tracking of the lighting to follow steering input, which you may have with an '05 coupe.

make sure your auto-leveling arms are intact on both the front and rear passenger control/trailing arms.

JupiterBMW
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
The autoleveling motor plug on the back of the headlights is a fairly small one, so it is possible that they were missed, especially if they're in a tough to reach location. You should have 4 connectors on the back of each headlight (high beam, low beam, autoleveling motor, bixenon shutter).

Good luck.

JKO_ZHP
10-17-2012, 07:53 AM
That might make sense, because the guy who did my lights normally works on E60 headlights doing AE's, the eyebrows, etc. It was his first time working on an E46 :shifty
Thanks guys. I'll check it again