PDA

View Full Version : We got a bunch of busted Bimmers

Sockethead
10-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, all three of our bimmers are in various stages of busted....

The 135 needs a steering wheel lock and because of that it won't start sometimes.
The X5 needs an air compressor, a right front window regulator and the transmission is starting to go. Oh and the TPM light is on all the time.
The ZHP starts to die at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.. didn't think I was going to make it home last night. The headlights are so burnt I can barely see at night and it too needs a front right regulator.
Ahh the joys of BMW ownership... at least the 135 has an extended warranty and the X5 has a power train warranty...

zhpnsnv
10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Yikes! If it makes you feel any better, today my borrowed e30 started leaking fuel pretty heavily. Hopefully it's just an old hose leading to the filter.

johnrando
10-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Ouch. May the repair karma gods be on your side.

mLuMaN83
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Dude, I;m way worse than you but I'm fine with it.

I still need entire suspention overhaul, both regulators, sunshade, brakes, wheels and tires, speakers, blah blah.

But I love it so much.

Ryans323i
10-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Dang. I bet the golf cart still runs though!

Sockethead
10-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Dude, I;m way worse than you but I'm fine with it.

I still need entire suspention overhaul, both regulators, sunshade, brakes, wheels and tires, speakers, blah blah.

But I love it so much.

Yea we still love our bimmers... it sucks that out of three cars, we have no reliable transportation. the ZHP worries me the most because that could be a multitude of things causing that problem.
I have new O2 sensors that I never got around to putting in this summer so I'm going to start there. But I have a feeling it's going to be the fuel pump. That's what Kpro thinks it is and she's usually right.

Dang. I bet the golf cart still runs though!
Haha! Yep that runs great but we put BMW roundels on it as a joke, I hope we didn't jinx it...

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC2527.jpg

Ryans323i
10-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Now you gotta post a before pic and show all the work you did to it.

mLuMaN83
10-22-2012, 07:24 PM
lol

KevinC
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
What year is your 135? I thought BMW/Mini dropped steering wheel locks in all cars around '08...

Sockethead
10-23-2012, 02:51 AM
It's an '08... They dropped them in '09

static667
10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
At least you didn't install an engine just to have to take it back out...

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

danewilson77
10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
At least you didn't install an engine just to have to take it back out...

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

Need update.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johnmadd
10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
^+1

Sockethead
10-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, I put a new compressor in the X5 yesterday. Ran system test and cleared codes with DIS. That got rid of the accumulator and drain valve error but now a front height sensor is malfunctioning and we just got it replaced..:facepalm

Ryans323i
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Dayum.

Mike V
10-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I feel your pain. Over the past few months, I've spend $2500 on the X5 and $1500 on the M3. The X5 started out with a bad blower motor and the "while it's there" jobs quickly accumulated.

Sockethead
11-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Yea the X5 is pretty much a money pit but we still love it.
As part of the TS procedure for the left level sensor, I ran a calibration on the air suspension using DIS but F'd it up by using cm instead of mm. After I figured out what I did wrong, I ran over the AC adapter for my laptop and the battery died before I could recalibrate it correctly. Now it's all jacked up and I can't drive it until I get my laptop fixed... Doh! :facepalm

cakM3
11-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Dang Rob!!! Hope you guys get things all sorted out!

Ryans323i
11-08-2012, 06:49 AM
How are things going?

Yea we still love our bimmers... it sucks that out of three cars, we have no reliable transportation. the ZHP worries me the most because that could be a multitude of things causing that problem.
I have new O2 sensors that I never got around to putting in this summer so I'm going to start there. But I have a feeling it's going to be the fuel pump. That's what Kpro thinks it is and she's usually right.

Haha! Yep that runs great but we put BMW roundels on it as a joke, I hope we didn't jinx it...

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC2527.jpg

Just wanted to repost a pic of Cart Meat. BP and I had such a great time in the back of that thing!

Sockethead
11-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Trying to get the suspension in the X5 fixed after my last laptop died. Built a new GT1 from Kristen's laptop and recalibrated the suspension but it won't set. I'm hoping that the module isn't toast... That's common on these too. I pretty much hate the air suspension on this thing. We've already spent close to $1500.00 in parts and its still fuct...

The ZHP is still busted in the garage. I hsvent had time to do anything for it. 02 sensors, plugs and MAF clean didn't fix it. So we are down to 1 drive able car out of three. Haha the joys of BMW ownership lol

09mageec
11-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Well, all three of our bimmers are in various stages of busted....

The 135 needs a steering wheel lock and because of that it won't start sometimes.
The X5 needs an air compressor, a right front window regulator and the transmission is starting to go. Oh and the TPM light is on all the time.
The ZHP starts to die at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.. didn't think I was going to make it home last night. The headlights are so burnt I can barely see at night and it too needs a front right regulator.
Ahh the joys of BMW ownership... at least the 135 has an extended warranty and the X5 has a power train warranty...

I feel ya with the almost burnt out headlight situation haha. Mine are on their way out. I HAVE to keep my high beams on in most situations. Bulbs are like $120 a piece..smh. Good thing I just started working again.

cakM3
11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
guys....I feel you with the ZKW headlight issues....been there myself...

S85FTW
11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Check your cat converter in the zhp, my E36 years ago @ 50k miles would have a sensation of lost power at anything more than 1/3rd throttle. It got worse and worse and found out the cat got clogged and stalled the car out. Cheap gas was the culprit, now I only use BMW authorized gas stations and havent had a problem since.

Hermes
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
^ if that's the case I would pull the cat and soak it in Tide.

Sockethead
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Just wanted to repost a pic of Cart Meat. BP and I had such a great time in the back of that thing!

Haha I built a back seat for it out of 1" square tubing and original seat covers... turned out really nice... I can bolt it in and out of the bed. :thumbsup

I feel ya with the almost burnt out headlight situation haha. Mine are on their way out. I HAVE to keep my high beams on in most situations. Bulbs are like $120 a piece..smh. Good thing I just started working again.
You know the problem isn't the bulbs, right? It's the reflective bowls that the bulbs sit in. It's a major PITA to fix... I wish it was just bulbs:(

^ if that's the case I would pull the cat and soak it in Tide.

Wut? :scratchinghead

I finally got the X5 suspension recalibrated... took 5 passes with a test drive in between to get it back within spec. WTF? Now we'll see if that fixes the original problem after the compressor replacement where the front left sensor is out of spec. Boy Bimmers are fun!

Maybe I'll get to work on the ZHP again soon. I miss it!

cakM3
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
... You know the problem isn't the bulbs, right? It's the reflective bowls that the bulbs sit in. It's a major PITA to fix... I wish it was just bulbs:(

Ain't that the truth Rob! I've rebuilt two sets of ZKW headlight assemblies, mine being the first set....

Hermes
11-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Wut? :scratchinghead

pull exhaust, find some way to cap off both ends of pipe, fill up with liquid Tide (don't know how many bottles that takes), soak 6 hours, rinse out with hot water... it works, trust me

edit: citric acid works also and may be cheaper for the quantity you need

Sockethead
11-13-2012, 07:24 AM
We took the X5 to NYC on Sunday. The transmission started shifting funny and slipping then went into fail-safe mode. Looks like it's finally time for a new one. Good thing Kristen planned for this and got a warranty on the drive train. The warranty was $1400. Trans is $5k.

We are also getting the alternator bracket gasket replaced, there is an oil leak there... yes you heard right, the alternator bracket has oil going through it and it leaks just like the oil filter housing on i6... it's a 9 hr job for like, a $2 part. The insurance inspector is coming today to approve the repairs...

ryankokesh
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Wow, epic call on that warranty! :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Rob, glad to hear that you guys have a warranty for repairs!

Sockethead
11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Rob, glad to hear that you guys have a warranty for repairs!
yea, the X5 trans and air suspension failure is a given, as is the oil leak so that was a good move on Kristen's part.As long as everything is approved, we should be in good shape.
Anybody that is thinking about an X5 and can't verify that the Trans has bee replaced would be smart to spend the extra money on the warranty. The main thing that goes in the transmission is the solenoids in the valve body start sticking causing slippage and the lockup clutch in the torque converter fries. Once it's replaced, it usually lasts the life of the vehicle...

Whitexi
11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Rob once the repairs are approved is she having BMW fix it? Or do they choose the shop?

cakM3
11-13-2012, 09:26 AM
yea, the X5 trans and air suspension failure is a given, as is the oil leak so that was a good move on Kristen's part.As long as everything is approved, we should be in good shape.
Anybody that is thinking about an X5 and can't verify that the Trans has bee replaced would be smart to spend the extra money on the warranty. The main thing that goes in the transmission is the solenoids in the valve body start sticking causing slippage and the lockup clutch in the torque converter fries. Once it's replaced, it usually lasts the life of the vehicle...

That's nice to know Rob! :thumbsup Something to keep in mind for those interested in getting an X5 in the future...

Sockethead
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Rob once the repairs are approved is she having BMW fix it? Or do they choose the shop?
She bought the warranty at the dealership so yea, everything is being done by the dealership.

We just got the trans repair approved... looks like it will be a Reman. from BMW instead of 3rd party or boneyard.
The oil leaks have been fixed. I could of done the gaskets but the whole from of the motor and one mount needed to come off. F'it sometines and let the warranty do it, ya know? lol

So far, we gotten $7100.00 of repairs done for a $1400 warranty:headbang:thumbup:happyspidey

ryankokesh
11-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Read: if you buy an x5, get a damn warranty, son.

:thumbsup

Also, is this something you got because you bought the car from a BMW dealer? So the question, I suppose, is can you get a dealer warranty if you purchase the car from a private party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sockethead
11-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Read: if you buy an x5, get a damn warranty, son.

:thumbsup

Also, is this something you got because you bought the car from a BMW dealer? So the question, I suppose, is can you get a dealer warranty if you purchase the car from a private party?

We purchased through the car through a dealer auction at Manheim in Fla last February. So yea, we didn't buy the car at the dealership. They'll sell you a third party warranty for any Bimmer, I believe. Now, she did get a discount on the warranty price because she worked there. It would of been even less with more coverage if we had bought it before the car rolled over 100K. If you're really interested, shoot Kpro a PM for the details and company name. She's not on the forum often but I know PM's go to her email.

To get a true dealer warranty, I think your car would still have to have the factory warranty, then you can purchase the dealer warranty options... This is what she did for the 135 which BTW we've been using the crap out of... the warranty that is...

Ryans323i
11-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Good to hear truck meet is getting taken care of. Very glad you had the warranty!

ryankokesh
11-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks rob - i'll definitely do that if I ever end up going this route!

Sockethead
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Good to hear truck meet is getting taken care of. Very glad you had the warranty!
Trans should arrive tomorrow morning and Truck Meet should be ready for our holiday trip out to Ohio which is great since I'm recovering from knee surgery... I wasn't looking forward to an 8 hr ride in the 135

Ryans323i
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Trans should arrive tomorrow morning and Truck Meet should be ready for our holiday trip out to Ohio which is great since I'm recovering from knee surgery... I wasn't looking forward to an 8 hr ride in the 135

Oh good. Enjoy y'all's holiday. Hope you recover quickly!

S85FTW
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Rob, not sure if I missed it, but did you ever tackle the problem with the zhp? Just curious to see if it was indeed the catalytic converter.

Sockethead
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh good. Enjoy y'all's holiday. Hope you recover quickly!
Thanks Ry, hope you guys have a good holiday too... miss you guys!

Rob,not sure if I missed it, but did you ever tackle the problem with the zhp? Just curious to see if it was indeed the catalytic converter.
No, I didn't get to that. No time before surgery and to be quite honest that will probably be the last thing I try.... If those manifolds are coming off, I'm going to have a hard time not replacing them with headers and a full exhaust.... you know how that goes...

I'm still leaning toward some lean issue with the car. Last time I ran DIS on it, it had some lean codes... not enough to trigger a CEL but they were there. I haven't had a chance to run DIS again after replacing the O2 sensors and plugs which it was due for anyway and I've had the O2 sensors laying around all summer. I did take it for a spin and it was still missing and running like crap at anything above 1/3 throttle.

The guys that installed the Dinan throttle body replaced the boots so I can eliminate that. I gotta get a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pump under load but I think that would just die all together. The other thing I was thinking is MAF but IDK the symptoms of a bad MAF or how to test without just swapping it out... Any suggestions would be great...

Sockethead
11-21-2012, 08:12 PM
We got the X5 back tonight and we are on our way to Ohio Woohoo!
We almost didn't get it back because it took 5 tries to get the trans programmed. Who knows why...
In the X5 you have to reset the adaptions, tell it that it has new fluid, etc.
It's nice to have it back for the holiday trip!

Hornung418
11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Safe travels, Rob and Kristen!

Sent from my GSIII, bitches.

az3579
11-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Truckmeat FTMFW.

Sockethead
11-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Safe travels, Rob and Kristen!

Thanks! we made it out here, no issues with truck meat.. Shifts are nice and crisp!

Truckmeet FTMFW.

Haha yea with all it's friggin problems we should be hating it but its just too bad-ass to hate

az3579
11-22-2012, 01:07 PM
WTF, I typed Truckmeet and it ended up being meet... ???
I made sure to type it like that... stupid autocorrect.

Sockethead
11-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Well if you look, everyone else corrected to meet too lol