PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Hotchkis Springs?

webster
10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Found a good deal on e46f for brand new Hotchkis E46 lowering springs. Anyone ever used these and if so, feedback? I would be using them with OEM shocks/struts.

Hornung418
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
That's what I bought for mine. $150 shipped. They will drop the car about 1-1/4".

ryankokesh
10-24-2012, 07:22 PM
$150 is a sweet deal. How do you like them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Haven't finished building them yet...you know...I shoved a utility knife into my thumb ;)

ryankokesh
10-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Oh yeah; forgot about that. I guess that's a legit excuse...

Hornung418
10-25-2012, 06:52 AM
It's just one of those things where not having a thumb just makes everything ten times more difficult. I've already got one corner built and I tried to start the second.

Wes, Eugene shipped my springs from CA to MD in two days...Tracking said it would take seven days. really impressed. My gut feeling is that he bought these at closeout, because I can't find these listed for sale anywhere. The springs are in mint condition, but the box says otherwise, unopened and completely sealed with Hotchkis tape and markings. So list for these is like $375 and I got them for $50 under his asking price of $200 shipped. Good deal considering I'm using Bruce's suspension with 70k instead of mine with 121k. When they eventually do blow, I'll be replacing with Konis (FSD or Yellows depending on the drop/rate).

webster
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
yeah Eugene is the source on e46f. at this point i'm debating getting the springs on now, or wait til i do the whole suspension overhaul.

then again, i only have 59k miles so i might not be due for a suspension build for a while. and the price on these is hard to pass up...hmmm

Pip
10-25-2012, 11:41 AM
I've always heard there are issues with suspension blowing out earlier than normal with just lowering springs. Is this a valid argument with the zhp suspension being slightly lower than sport suspension?

webster
10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I've always heard there are issues with suspension blowing out earlier than normal with just lowering springs. Is this a valid argument with the zhp suspension being slightly lower than sport suspension?

good question. also interested to know the answer to this...

Hornung418
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm just using the springs because I need a new suspension, so the used kit I bought will not bother me, when it blows it blows. I have planned for that.

Wes, if you're going to lower it when you do the overhaul, would you strive for Coils or just a regular spring/shock kit like H&R or Koni/Eibach? Either way, you still have a lot of life left in the stock set up...with these, you'll probably blow them 20k miles earlier than if you stayed stock. Up to you, buy now for a steal and pay for just shocks/struts later or buy them all at the same time?

The choice is yours and yours alone!

danewilson77
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Haven't finished building them yet...you know...I shoved a utility knife into my thumb ;)

You let that stop you? Pffft.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

webster
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Wes, if you're going to lower it when you do the overhaul, would you strive for Coils or just a regular spring/shock kit like H&R or Koni/Eibach? Either way, you still have a lot of life left in the stock set up...with these, you'll probably blow them 20k miles earlier than if you stayed stock. Up to you, buy now for a steal and pay for just shocks/struts later or buy them all at the same time?

The choice is yours and yours alone!

lol yes that is the dilemma. as for the suspension overhaul down the road....as of now i am inclined to keep it simple and go with the koni FSD kit or something along those lines. no real need for coil overs as i don't track/autoX.

Hornung418
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
You let that stop you? Pffft.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
:rofl

I would have been better of shoving the knife it into my thigh than my GD thumb. It's beyond inconvenient...

danewilson77
10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Werd. I have three thumbs....so I would still be good.

webster
10-25-2012, 03:01 PM
starting to think i might be better off putting the money for the springs towards a set of Hotchkis sways instead. better performance gain and no detrimental impact on rest of suspension. right?